Thread: no chatter about the panigale 899 yet?

no chatter about the panigale 899 yet?

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...anigale-spied/

i still want to see a bmw middleweight
    ~Scott #119

Re: no chatter about the panigale 899 yet?

Regular swingarm vs SSSA? Way to kill off your audience Duck-a-tee.
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Hmm... Wonder what it will cost?
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Maybe once Ducati starts winning (like the old days) people will start to regain some interest
    Last edited by kawasakirob; Wed Aug 21st, 2013 at 10:48 PM.
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

I heard the "big brother" was doing poorly, is this true?
    2013 zx6r
    MRA Novice #407
    Race like a girl!

I'm surprised Ducati is trying this. Ditching the SSSA is a huge mistake too, considering the sex appeal of a Panigale is one of its only selling points. God knows it isn't the street character, reliability, engine performance, or the middle weight lust.

I seriously considered a Panigale when I was shopping. Aesthetically it can't be beat, damn they are good looking. But I didn't like anything else. Uncomfortable, hot ass syndrome, really down on power, terrible fueling and EFI tuning, difficult to read tach, and the reliability problems. They are sexy, and the R or S models are competant on a racetrack, though very little moreso than any of its competitors.

BMW has already said they will not do a middleweight supersport, and for good reason. The middle weights aren't selling.

this is what the
    F3 800

is to battle with right
    No tickets YET this year *Knock on wood*

07 Audi S4 DTM
    06 CBR 1000rr

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I'm surprised Ducati is trying this. Ditching the SSSA is a huge mistake too, considering the sex appeal of a Panigale is one of its only selling points. God knows it isn't the street character, reliability, engine performance, or the middle weight lust.

I seriously considered a Panigale when I was shopping. Aesthetically it can't be beat, damn they are good looking. But I didn't like anything else. Uncomfortable, hot ass syndrome, really down on power, terrible fueling and EFI tuning, difficult to read tach, and the reliability problems. They are sexy, and the R or S models are competant on a racetrack, though very little moreso than any of its competitors.

BMW has already said they will not do a middleweight supersport, and for good reason. The middle weights aren't selling.
    Rumored Photo, very possibly a fake.

In addition, the bike is not "down on power". I dyno'd mine without tuning at 172 (the highest of any v-twin Duc and the S1KRR got 181 on the same dyno). With proper corner speed and exit, you can beat anything... to include the HP4. I have video of it at the track. From an engineering standpoint, the DSS is the right decision. I'm not sure what you mean by street character or engine performance being weak points. I have no issues reading my tach. Sounds to me like you are validating your own purchase and preference. Having ridden both, the BMW is BORING to ride.

In regards to winning, the Pani is doing great in WSSK, not so much in WSBK. Most of the difficulty is attributed to intake restrictions (which is huge on this bike) and other engine rules.

Last edited by TransNone13; Thu Aug 22nd, 2013 at 06:01 AM.

Not race legal so it's in that worthless upper middle weight category with the gsxr 750. meh

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    Not race legal so it's in that worthless upper middle weight category with the gsxr 750. meh
    Are you inferring the GSXR750 is "worthless"? You shut hour whore mouth!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    While it may not be race legal what percentage of sportbikes sold are actually raced? <1%? If you are not worried about class rules a 750 makes a perfect sportbike. Not the hyper, rev it to the moon personality of a 600 and not overpowering like a 1000.

Quote Originally Posted by CaneZach View Post
    Are you inferring the GSXR750 is "worthless"? You shut hour whore mouth!!!
    100% and anyone that rides it is even more of a whore than my mouth

edit: hey wait was that your 750 that you highsided right in front of me at the exit of turn 2 last year? That was epicly spectacularrrrrrrrrr. Those 750s are great at that

Quote Originally Posted by longrider View Post
    While it may not be race legal what percentage of sportbikes sold are actually raced? <1%? If you are not worried about class rules a 750 makes a perfect sportbike. Not the hyper, rev it to the moon personality of a 600 and not overpowering like a 1000.
    If they're giong to build a smaller panigale, why would they bump 50cc and force it to be out of the middleweight category? are they killing the 848? if they keep making then 848 then it's not that bad, but I'd like to see the development efforts go into a race legal category. If it was for a street fighter or something of the like, then it's all pretty irrelevant, but I'm assuming this is their replacement to the 848.

I guess I have a biased opinion. It just seems like holding off on that extra 50cc would open the bike to a much broader world and contribute to the development of the middleweight twins. Racing does a crapton of good for the advancement of bikes
    Last edited by tecknojoe; Thu Aug 22nd, 2013 at 07:42 AM.

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Hmmm. I ride a 750.

Rybo supporting the exit of ducati from the middleweight class?

someone give this man the:

Quote Originally Posted by TransNone13 View Post
    In addition, the bike is not "down on power". I dyno'd mine without tuning at 172 (the highest of any v-twin Duc and the S1KRR got 181 on the same dyno). With proper corner speed and exit, you can beat anything... to include the HP4. I have video of it at the track. From an engineering standpoint, the DSS is the right decision. I'm not sure what you mean by street character or engine performance being weak points. I have no issues reading my tach. Sounds to me like you are validating your own purchase and preference. Having ridden both, the BMW is BORING to ride.
    Your bike isn't stock, but even so you're nearly 10hp down on the BMW. In every dyno I've seen the BMW regularly runs about 20whp higher, which is huge. Even with the new Panigale R with the revised engine, the HP4 (Stock S1000RR engine) still ran 20whp higher. My problem is that Ducati rates the Panigale at 2hp higher than the BMW, but it never dynoes anywhere close to their claim. In riding yours, and a couple others, the engine was not nearly as smooth and responsive as the BMW's. My SV1000S was the same way, so it could very-well be a big twin character, but it's something I really don't like.

I don't need to validate my purchase, I'm happy with my bike. I still can't get a knee down, or even close, but that's not why I chose it. I chose the BMW for the horsepower, comfort, and the reliability. I do a lot of touring/commuting, and the Panigale just wasn't the best bike for how I ride.

Your bike is a fantastic bike, one of the best. It wins the beauty contest, and the sound that twin makes is something akin to the Devil screaming at the top of his lungs. But when I got on it, I didn't feel comfortable. Not just in ergonomics, but after riding it the bike just didn't feel like me. I got on the S1000RR, and it felt like I've been riding it for years after just a few minutes. It just clicks with me.

I know it's not for everyone, but that's the great thing about the current situation of sportbikes, we can all find what we want. Whenever friends ask me what kind of bike they should buy, my advice is always to go blindly test ride them all, then pick the bike that felt the most natural to you.

And I could never thank you enough for letting me ride it!
    Last edited by Aaron; Thu Aug 22nd, 2013 at 09:31 AM.

I chose the BMW for the horsepower, comfort, and the reliability. I do a lot of touring/commuting,
    !
    completely off topic... not geared towards you.

but i've always wondered why someone who does the majority of their riding as a tourer or commuter buys a Sportbike?!?! There are far better bikes designed for those purposes that have enough power and the right ergonomics to still enjoy playing in the canyons.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

No worries it's a legitimate question, and a difficult one to answer. If I had to be honest, a lot of my choice was probably geared toward a squid mentality. I've always loved super-sports, they've had my heart ever since I can remember. Love the riding position, I'm absolutely addicted to the power levels, I enjoy the engine sound, and I love the handling. I wouldn't even consider a sport-touring bike, it just isn't what I'm in to. I know those aren't very good reasons, but they're the truth. I hope to start getting in on some track days soon.

And although I do a decent amount of commuting on it, a lot of my riding is also canyon carving. I do a canyon trip about once or twice a week in fact. Racked up 8,000 miles on this bike in less than a year!

Your bike isn't stock, but even so you're nearly 10hp down on the BMW. In every dyno I've seen the BMW regularly runs about 20whp higher, which is huge. Even with the new Panigale R with the revised engine, the HP4 (Stock S1000RR engine) still ran 20whp higher. My problem is that Ducati rates the Panigale at 2hp higher than the BMW, but it never dynoes anywhere close to their claim. In riding yours, and a couple others, the engine was not nearly as smooth and responsive as the BMW's. My SV1000S was the same way, so it could very-well be a big twin character, but it's something I really don't like.

I don't need to validate my purchase, I'm happy with my bike. I still can't get a knee down, or even close, but that's not why I chose it. I chose the BMW for the horsepower, comfort, and the reliability. I do a lot of touring/commuting, and the Panigale just wasn't the best bike for how I ride.

Your bike is a fantastic bike, one of the best. It wins the beauty contest, and the sound that twin makes is something akin to the Devil screaming at the top of his lungs. But when I got on it, I didn't feel comfortable. Not just in ergonomics, but after riding it the bike just didn't feel like me. I got on the S1000RR, and it felt like I've been riding it for years after just a few minutes. It just clicks with me.

I know it's not for everyone, but that's the great thing about the current situation of sportbikes, we can all find what we want. Whenever friends ask me what kind of bike they should buy, my advice is always to go blindly test ride them all, then pick the bike that felt the most natural to you.

And I could never thank you enough for letting me ride it!
    I will concede that the bike sucks to just hop on and ride if you aren't acquainted. It took me about 200+ miles at the track to find a groove on that bike... but then, and only then it was like taking that first step and being able to walk. I'm not a numbers game player, but it still has more torque which fits my riding style better and cuts like a knife. My bike isn't tuned yet either, I need to get MORE equipment. It'll have to wait. I dropped about another $1000 yesterday on parts. I can't wait .

And once you are acquainted, the Panigale is a lethal track weapon, the best in fact. Every magazine comparison testing them the Panigale posts the fastest lap times.

UPDATE:

The bike you see here, which was spotted by Italian magazine Motociclismo, is clearly no rough-and-ready prototype. It’s finished. Right down to the badges.

Read more: http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...#ixzz2ckl7zuPd