Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sooooo, you want a sportbike....

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Sooooo, you want a sportbike....

Good read for any n00b looking to get into the sport.

Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Re: Sooooo, you want a sportbike....

Good find.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

Busa 4 lyfe!

They listed an SV650 in the list of good beginner bikes. Since thats what I bought and I am a beginner, I guess I made a good decision

98 VFR 800 (Old faithful)
    06 Sprint ST 1050 (Sexual Chocolate)

<<< this dumbass here started on a 600. I do agree with this post and wish I started with a 250 though... oh well, thinking about racing a 250 next year to make up for it.
    MRA Expert #880 - 2015 AmateurGTO Champion, 2013 NoviceGTU Champion
    2006 YZF-R6 Race "No name" - 2005 YZF-R6 Street "Aurora"
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Text: (72O) 432-7236

<< Started with a R1 -- went down to a 600 and then up to a 1300

Throttle control (aka self control) is a huge factor. With that said though I wish I had started out with the FZ6.
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Lies, I started on a 800cc lol

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    <<
    Throttle control (aka self control) is a huge factor. With that said though I wish I had started out with the FZ6.
    I agree, I started on a 600RR and since I controlled my right hand, I was just fine. If I had gotten a 600 in my early 20's, things would have likely gone a lot different in a bad way, but being 31 when I started, I had a little more desire to stay alive.

If all goes well this weekend, I will be adding 1050cc of dirty British hooligan to my garage, and I will get to see what lots of torque feels like.

Jason
    07 600RR
    07 Speed Triple -[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)] [/COLOR]GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)][/COLOR]

Mastering a smaller bike before moving up is key, all while trying to learn your surroundings as well. Something easier said than done. Blind spots, lane positioning, passing semi's, on ramps, off ramps, group riding, corner entry speed, debri, anticipation, intersections, dogs, and just experiencing close calls. Put some miles on, Ride Ride Ride. Buying a 250 and riding it a thousand miles before bumping up is cheating. Enjoy the ride! After all, the people who ride( who really ride) wont give a damn about what size bike your on( or what brand). Have fun!
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Man how things have changed. As a kid, a 650 was a BIG bike. The Triumph and BSA 650s were considered advanced motorcycles. The Honda CB750 was just plain awesome. We started on 100's and 125's.
    Drama is a poor substitute for adventure. (c)2011

Quote Originally Posted by stubbicatt View Post
    Man how things have changed. As a kid, a 650 was a BIG bike. The Triumph and BSA 650s were considered advanced motorcycles. The Honda CB750 was just plain awesome. We started on 100's and 125's.
    Haha that's wild.

I got a sv650 myself and am 24, first motorcycle. I feel it has plenty of power and is still very easy to control. I had a dirtbike as a kid too though and was one of those/still am "don't want a 250" guys. Also not a big ninja-fan either, I Love the naked look of the sv650.
    2008 SV650N

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Nooch's Avatar

There are exceptions to every rule, but personally I spent MONTHS reading posts like this trying to make the right decision on my first bike and ultimately ended up on a 250 even though I really wanted a supersport because I was an impatient kid. And since I couldn't afford the MSF at the time, I am really glad I went with the 250. I remember when I first started learning to ride, it took me both lanes of a country road plus half of some dude's yard to do my first U-turn. And just turning the bike was difficult at first because it felt unnatural to let the bike lean over. But after a year of that, I got the basics down just fine and then upgraded to a 2000 ZX6R. And on my very first ride, I opened the throttle the same as I used to on the 250...and the power literally yanked my hands right off the grips lol. So hell, even starting "properly" on a small bike doesnt always mean you'll have an easy time of taming a supersport.

I will say I think the MSF is a must before starting on a 250/600/1000. I used all of what that class taught me in the 1st month of riding, and none of the situations I found myself in had anything to do with the size of my engine.

Jason
    07 600RR
    07 Speed Triple -[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)] [/COLOR]GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)][/COLOR]

I took my MSF course immediately after getting my SV650 so I would know what I was doing. I met Christie (Bornwildnfree) and Bob (Spiderman) at an expo at the Aurora Mall in May and they sold me on the benefits of taking the course. I ended up taking it at the Red Rocks Community College location where Bob teaches it but ended up in the class next door with a different teacher. But during the introductions I mentioned having an SV650 at home so they had my ride this CBR250R during the course and everyone else was riding the little cruiser type bikes. I will say this was a great learner and made it much easier for me after the course to jump onto my 650 and ride.

I started on a 600, 13 years ago and got in way too much trouble. I don't think I'll ever buy an inline-4 unless it's a track bike. I've got a 1200 vtwin and a 1100 boxer twin and I don't get in nearly the trouble I would if I had an inline 4. Tons of power and speed down low without having to get up into the triple digits to have fun.
    -Ryan

You can look up the specs on your bike (or potential bike) here.

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/

MRA Racer No.427

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    You can look up the specs on your bike (or potential bike) here.

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/
    sucks that the motocop had to dump his bike, but props to him for what appears to be an incident free arrest !

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    Lies, I started on a 800cc lol
    Me too! But my 800 cc bike was about as fast as a sporty 500 cc bike and had a lower top speed than a sporty 250cc bike.
    Suzuki Volusia 805 cc V-Twin cruiser! Still had plenty of torque to get you into trouble and spin the rear on a wet road!
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

I did the cruiser (900 Vulcan) to the ST (C14) and have an SV1000 as my play thing. Good article, but those that are set on a certain bike and/or peer pressure will end up with more than they need/should have.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    '12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

I started out on this:

but it was just too hard to wheelie.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

I started on a 600, but I agree with a post... starting on a smaller bike would have been "easier" to learn...

Board Newbie

In Australia gotta start with a 250, and of you know how to ride you will keep up with the big bikes in the twisties, it's just the straights where they pull away (used to drive me nuts) had a cbr600 for the last few years before moving to Colorado, and in the last year or so was using all of its power and getting bored, so looking forward to purchasing a bigger bike