Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tv and laptop died during storm today. help?

tv and laptop died during storm today. help?

Quick question for any of you tech geeks out there. Today when we came home after a big storm, we found my laptop and our tv not working. The tv has a blinking red light and after searching the blogosphere forums, the conclusion is that the power board has probably gone bad. I opened up the back of the tv (42" LCD) and looked at the power board. I don't see anythign that is burned out or discolored. It looks fine. The tv fuse is ok as well. Here are some pictures:

https://picasaweb.google.com/ryanhug...eat=directlink
    I searched online and the power board is no longer manufactured, so it looks like the tv is officially dead. Is there something from the photos you see or any tests I should try?

The next question is about my laptop. I have an acer 15" laptop. Nothing fancy, just your basic laptop, about 3 years old. It was plugged into the same outlet as the tv and it no longer powers up. The light on the front is green when it's fully charged, and red when it's being charged and the light no longer comes on. I have no idea how to troubleshoot the problem here. Thoughts?
    -Ryan

Re: tv and laptop died during storm today. help?

Lightning strike? Were the plugged into a surge protector?
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Always use a surge protector for sensitive electronics. Okay, that's out of the way.

It's not likely you will see something burnt even if something did fry. Are you still under warranty?
    Disclaimer: If I post a link, assume it's NSFW.
    Bike: 2009 FZ-1 "The Hematoma"

What brand TV? You can sometimes find spare TV parts on eBay, then try to replace it yourself. A repair shop in Denver is A-1:

http://www.denvertvrepair.com/

To be honest, at that (42") size, it'll probably be cheaper to buy a new one, unless you can get the board and do it yourself. They quoted almost $400 to fix/replace the burned out capacitors in my old Mitsu 63" DLP. I just put it in the basement to collect dust and bought a new TV.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptGoodvibes View Post
    Always use a surge protector for sensitive electronics.
    To add to that, don't trust those lame (Monster & similar under $50) little strip surge protectors. They are close to worthless. Take one apart and look at the components. Looks like a 9volt battery surge could blow those things, lol. Invest $100 or more in a real APC or similar, like the battery backups you might use on your computers. Will save your ass in the future, pays for itself in dry Colorado. They also filter noise, condition the line, protect against brown-outs, voltage drops, etc. Good insurance.

Just because Monster is the biggest popular company and charges a bunch, they're products are SHIT, seriously. This coming from multiple high-end audio people. They cringe at Monster.
    Last edited by Ghosty; Tue Jul 31st, 2012 at 10:03 AM.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

I had the stuff plugged into a surge protector. However, it was an old crappy surge protector. Interestingly enough, I also had my entertainment center receiver and dvd player plugged in (both off though) and those both work fine. The tv is out of warranty and the laptop is as well. I looked through 30 websites and the power board for my tv is no longer manufactured.
    -Ryan

What's the exact make & model# of your TV?

It's possible that they were affected by a brown-out, or loss of voltage, instead of a spike. A fuse or surge protector won't help with that.

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

RIP

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

You can try removing the battery and pushing the power button while the laptop is plugged in. If it doesn't boot that's ok. Then put the battery back in and try to power it back up. If that doesn't work, you might...be able to get a new battery for it and it'll come back up. Otherwise, I'm afraid you're SOL.
    "With every broken bone, I swear I lived."

I have tried a few things with the laptop:
    1- pulled battery, plugged laptop into wall, held down power button for 30 sec
    2- put in battery, plugged into wall, held power button down for 30 sec
    3- done both above with on a few seconds holding power button down
    4- when I get home tonight, I'll use my multimeter to see if the power cord is operating correctly. It could be the problem there.

With the tv, I just pulled off the back to see if there was any glaring problem. If it was a brownout, what kind of failures should I expect to see? All of the capacitors look fine. Also, if it was a brownout, what kind of device should I use to prevent something like this in the future? I don't really want to buy a UPS. The tv is a Dynex 42" lcd tv. I don't know the model number offhand.
    -Ryan

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

If it's a brownout, you need a UPS. Something has to supply the extra voltage if the utility isn't giving you enough, which is what a UPS does.

Or keep buying new TV's and laptops. Your call.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

I'm not really psyched to go buy a nice surge protector buy and plug in a nice UPS, then know that only the stuff plugged into that one outlet is protected. I am looking for other solutions and a way to determine if I had a surge or if I had a brownout. Do you guys have surge protectors and UPSs on all your stuff?
    -Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by drago52 View Post
    I'm not really psyched to go buy a nice surge protector buy and plug in a nice UPS, then know that only the stuff plugged into that one outlet is protected. I am looking for other solutions and a way to determine if I had a surge or if I had a brownout. Do you guys have surge protectors and UPSs on all your stuff?
    I have a whole-house surge protector and UPS on my computer equipment. Separate surge protector on TV/stereo; need to get UPS. My UPS clicked on a few times last week.

If you add a UPS it has surge protection built in so a separate surge protector is not needed. I do have UPSs on the computer (a desktop), the entertainment center and the networking closet. I probably did more than necessary since being in the country power is not as reliable and even a brief flicker causes reboots. Plus my TV is an old RP LCD and if power goes out and the lamp doesn't get its 60 seconds of cooling it really shortens the life of a $250 lamp.

dang. Ok, can you guys recommend specific equipment for me (make models #s)? I've got a desktop computer, laptop, and tv/entertainment system all in different locations in the house. I appreciate all the feedback.
    Last edited by drago52; Tue Jul 31st, 2012 at 11:33 AM.
    -Ryan

CSC co-founder

I was just thinking 'bout upgrading my cheap-old surg protectors. I don't think I could have spent less on them 100 years ago.

UPS might be a good idea for the tv's & computers. Any minimum specs you recommend?? I amazon'd UPS & got low's from $30.00 (which I like)... up to hundred's of $$ (which I don't like).
    PHX, AZ

You can get a decent APC Smart or Back-UPS 750va for $80 or so. At that price, you could get one for your main computer and one for your entertainment center. Plug your laptop powerbrick into one when needed. Otherwise just leave the laptop unplugged when it's already charged up or for short use. If you need cheaper, then get one that's around $50 at least, like the smaller APC 350 or 450 units. Otherwise might as well go with the useless Monster crap.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...ry=72&name=UPS

I think I have the 750 at home, or the next size up, on my tower PC. It has a USB connection and software on your PC that monitors everything, including giving power fluctuation history on that house circuit, very cool. I have a pricey power filter on my home theater, will have to check which one at home, can't remember exactly.
    Last edited by Ghosty; Tue Jul 31st, 2012 at 01:04 PM.

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Multiple UPS's in my home office, yes. Need to put one on the AV gear upstairs.

I've had good luck with APC, the only issues were batteries going out after several years which is normal, and they are replaceable. They cost a little more than the bargain brands, but there's a reason for it.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by birchyboy View Post
    I have a whole-house surge protector and UPS on my computer equipment. Separate surge protector on TV/stereo; need to get UPS. My UPS clicked on a few times last week.
    Is this the type of whole-house surge protector you have?
    http://tinyurl.com/chaf6ps

I'm thinking of something like this for my main entertainment center / tv UPS
    http://tinyurl.com/d4nf45h

thoughts?
    -Ryan

It looks similar to that but I don't know the exact model. It was installed by a contractor this past Spring.

I'm thinking of something like this for my main entertainment center / tv UPS
    http://tinyurl.com/d4nf45h

thoughts?
    I would love a whole house surge protector...anyone know the cost to get one installed?
    1998 CBR600F3 "Desert Storm" - SOLD

WAS keeping the banana seat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGizzmo View Post
    I would love a whole house surge protector...anyone know the cost to get one installed?
    Mine was $190ish.

Whoever said Monster is crap ignored the fact that they will pay up to $350,000.00 if connected equipment is not protected. I don't know any company that could stay in business if their shit was crap with that kind of financial backing.

I'd like to see a gut shot of a Monster Home Theater power strip if anyone has one.
    Disclaimer: If I post a link, assume it's NSFW.
    Bike: 2009 FZ-1 "The Hematoma"