Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rover Curiosity on Mars

Thumbs up Rover Curiosity on Mars

For those who care, Curiosity lands on Mars this Sunday, here's a vid of how amazing and challenging a triumph (or colossal failure)that will be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzqdoXwLBT8
    Last edited by Ghost; Tue Aug 14th, 2012 at 01:36 PM.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Re: Rover Curiosity's "Seven Minutes of Terror"

You've seen this right?

http://eyes.nasa.gov/launch2.html?document=$SERVERURL/content/documents/msl/edl.xml

On another note, I need to go get some salsa.
    Last edited by TransNone13; Sat Aug 4th, 2012 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TransNone13 View Post
    You've seen this right?

http://eyes.nasa.gov/launch2.html?document=$SERVERURL/content/documents/msl/edl.xml

Can't open it on the phone, I'll check it out later tonight.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

It's pretty damn cool.

http://eyes.nasa.gov/exit.html
    Last edited by TransNone13; Sat Aug 4th, 2012 at 03:22 PM.

It's pretty damn cool.
    Lol, thanks, rub in its coolness that I can't access...
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    For those who care, Curiosity lands on Mars this Sunday, here's a vid of how amazing and challenging a triumph (or colossal failure)that will be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzqdoXwLBT8
    Pretty impressive plan. I wonder if theory and practice will align... or also how expensive will it be if they don't?

You've seen this right?

That is cool as hell!
    -Chris
    (77O-six55-3O35) '03 R6 (new baby) / '03 SV650 (sold) Almond Imaging Photography

It's pretty damn cool.

http://eyes.nasa.gov/exit.html
    If you start here you can access all the space missions available on the sim.

Landing 9:30pm Mountain tonight?
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Landing 9:30pm Mountain tonight?
    11:31 pm our time.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Heh, that was pretty awesome, watched NASA's live feed, for not having visuals like the moon landing and only audio and infographics it was still tense & amazing to watch the reactions.

Stunning what we can accomplish, pity we can't be that great here on Earth...
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

I stayed up watching through a combination of Eyes on the solar system, Astronomy Cast (live google hang out) and a feed from Fox News.

It's truely amazing what American ingenunity can acomplish! It's a proud day for America and science.

When I first heard of the sky crane about a year ago I thought to myself "That's pretty scary" but wow they pulled it off!
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Got sucked into one of my favorite movies last night and missed the entire thing, ugh! Got it DVR'd though, can't wait to see the latest photos.

LOL @

'08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

A bunch of scientists in the office are breathing a sigh of relief this morning. We built one of the instruments, the Radiation Assessment Detector (RAD):

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/mission...detectors/rad/

and several of our scientists will be doing science work on the data that comes back from the Mars Science Laboratory and Curiosity. It was a hell of an engineering challenge and the engineers pulled it off. Now on to doing more valuable science on the surface of Mars with the Mars Science Laboratory and the Curiosity rover.

But this success hasn't come without a price in other areas. This mission has been beset with very bad cost overruns and it has been a huge drain on the science programs at NASA, because it's essentially a zero-sum game. The cost overruns were absorbed by other programs. As I have said here before, we (USA) do not fund basic research to the level that our scientists are capable of achieving. Based on my experience serving on panels for NASA and the National Science Foundation, I estimate that we need to double the spending on the physical sciences to make the best use of our existing population of scientists in those areas.

MSL and Curiosity are a shining example of what the scientists and engineers of this country are capable of achieving. These are people who spend the better part of two decades preparing for a career, and when we give them the resources to achieve amazing things, this is what we get. I am glad to see that they are getting the attention they so justly deserve. Imagine the scorn and ridicule that would be burying NASA right now if the landing had not been successful. It was risky as hell, but it was the only way to achieve what they needed to achieve as far as the size of Curiosity. In the current state of decay in our thinking about doing risky but rewarding things, this was a tremendous accomplishment.

I just hope that we can see that there are many people with those same skills who are not able to achieve similar successes because we fail to provide the resources to achieve them. The next time you are communicating with your representatives in DC, consider praising the people who made MSL and Curiosity happen, and tell them you want to see more of that sort of American ingenuity. Maybe you'd be so kind as to do it now:

http://www.contactingthecongress.org...c2011&state=co

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Cool picture of MSL taken by the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter during the landing:

--Thomas Jefferson

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

So when are they going to start moving around and taking more pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    after all of the buggalo have been rounded up.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    You mean like this?

I had to have some fun but seriously this is an incredible achievement

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    A bunch of scientists in the office are breathing a sigh of relief this morning. We built one of the instruments, the Radiation Assessment Detector (RAD)
    Cool, do you work at Ball Aerospace? My Dad retired from there last year, but one of his microstrip phased-array antennas is on one of the past rovers. Kinda neat!

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    But this success hasn't come without a price in other areas. This mission has been beset with very bad cost overruns and it has been a huge drain on the science programs at NASA, because it's essentially a zero-sum game. The cost overruns were absorbed by other programs. As I have said here before, we (USA) do not fund basic research to the level that our scientists are capable of achieving. Based on my experience serving on panels for NASA and the National Science Foundation, I estimate that we need to double the spending on the physical sciences to make the best use of our existing population of scientists in those areas.
    2min on is the most relevant:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbIZU8cQWXc

And:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQTyktUuC4g

And:
    http://youtu.be/iR-mFcEhQXQ
    Last edited by Ghost; Mon Aug 6th, 2012 at 11:51 AM.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Cool, do you work at Ball Aerospace? My Dad retired from there last year, but one of his microstrip phased-array antennas is on one of the past rovers. Kinda neat!
    No, I'm at Southwest Research Institute in downtown Boulder.

--Thomas Jefferson

Here's a cool surface shot:

Rover shadow, the dunes, the layered sediments beyond, and Mt. Sharp on the skyline...

--Thomas Jefferson

Amazing how far we have come since Sputnik. I remember watching the very first TV footage bounced off Sputnik when I was a wee lad.

Marc
    84 R100RS LE, 14 Ducati MTSGT, 18 Desert Sled, 73 850 Commando, 78 CT90, 14 Ural, 74 Eldorado police, 64 R50/2, 01 DRZ400E, 94 900SS/CR, 77 HD XLCR, 2011 T100, 63 MG Falcone', 75 Ducati 860GT, 2015 Royal Enfield Classic Chrome, 2009 XR1200, 1944 Nimbus, 1989 GB500 https://lomaxcm.smugmug.com/

Yay science. If I had to do it over again I'd have gone to school for aerospace engineering. I was and still am a slacker though.