Thread: Who has the best prices on tires?

Who has the best prices on tires?

I'd like to buy a new rear tire- and want to find the best price possible.

I'm looking for a Pirelli Diablo ______ in 180-55-17. I don't know the exact sub-model after Diablo, but I'm sure I can go look at it.

Who has the best price?
    -Chris
    (77O-six55-3O35) '03 R6 (new baby) / '03 SV650 (sold) Almond Imaging Photography

Re: Who has the best prices on tires?

Best way is to make calls man, I buy tires from 303cycle as they give me awesome deals on michelins, however from what I hear the Diablos don't get much mark down. Your best bet is online or call my boy Tim Kenney in parts at G-Force see if he can help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    Best way is to make calls man, I buy tires from 303cycle as they give me awesome deals on michelins, however from what I hear the Diablos don't get much mark down. Your best bet is online
    Word. However I'm in a bit of a pickle. The bike I'm buying the tires for has a ton of tread left on the front, but the rear is already showing tears in the middle. I really only need to buy another rear... and I'd prefer to have matching front and rear tires as I hear that helps !

-Chris
    (77O-six55-3O35) '03 R6 (new baby) / '03 SV650 (sold) Almond Imaging Photography

Yea having matching tires are key for best handling and safety. Also check the front tire sidewall for the production date. That bike looking that stock and clean may have an old tire so doesn't hurt to check. It should be a four digit number that has the first two numbers that state the week of the year and the last two is the year. If it's about 4 yrs I'd change them both. Good and fresh rubber is key for safety.

you are north, so try Epic Motosports

Can also call Jim @ TFOG, he supplies tires to many of us.

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    Yea having matching tires are key for best handling and safety. Also check the front tire sidewall for the production date. That bike looking that stock and clean may have an old tire so doesn't hurt to check. It should be a four digit number that has the first two numbers that state the week of the year and the last two is the year. If it's about 4 yrs I'd change them both. Good and fresh rubber is key for safety.

Right on. My rear is April 2004!!! I couldn't see the production date on my front w/o rolling the bike- but I assume it's the same. Definitely time for new rubber- which begs the question: since I'm not tied to Pirelli, what's next!? I have had a phenomenal experience with the Bridgestone BT-023's...

Decisions decisions,
    -Chris

Word, well it all depends on what style your riding is, grip level, durability of the tire, etc... there's a tire out there. 8 years is a bit too long lol, haven't had Bridgestones since the BT14's that came with my gixxer stock in 07the and they were good, long lasting tires though a bit squirmy in the cold days but can't tell for the newer models. I've owned Michelin on all my bikes since and personally only brand I trust cause the P.P works for my riding style and commuting.

+1 for pilot powers
    -Ryan

2008 KTM Super Duke 990

Forgot about best price, they're all going to be close. Go support a shop like TFOG that cares about the CSC.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

Quote Originally Posted by ATL View Post
    Right on. My rear is April 2004!!! I couldn't see the production date on my front w/o rolling the bike- but I assume it's the same. Definitely time for new rubber- which begs the question: since I'm not tied to Pirelli, what's next!? I have had a phenomenal experience with the Bridgestone BT-023's...

Decisions decisions,
    -Chris
    My suggestion is the Dunlop Q2s. Very cheap ($220 for the set) but they grip very close to the same as a race tire. They don't last all that long if you ride hard though, only like 4k miles. If you want, you can take my bike out for a spin with them on to test them out.

Another idea is the Battleaxe BTO16, they are pretty cool tires and cheap too. $200 for the set at performance cycle.

Edit: Performance Cycle has had the cheapest tires I have seen.
    MRA Expert #880 - 2015 AmateurGTO Champion, 2013 NoviceGTU Champion
    2006 YZF-R6 Race "No name" - 2005 YZF-R6 Street "Aurora"
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Text: (72O) 432-7236

Motorcycle Superstore! Free shipping, my tire was way cheaper through them than anyone else

Thanks for all of the responses!

I suppose it would have helped if I specified: I realistically plan on riding 90% commuting/highway and 10% "hypersport" canyon carving.

Even though I just sold arguably the most enjoyable dual purpose (commuter and canyon carver) around, I still plan on doing a good amount of commuting on 2 wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by WolFeYeZ View Post
    Another idea is the Battleaxe BTO16, they are pretty cool tires and cheap too. $200 for the set at performance cycle.
    For my usage, I believe the BT-016's to be too soft for my riding patterns, as I feel I'd eat right through the middle of the tires during my daily commute... that's why I previously used the BT-023's.

My suggestion is the Dunlop Q2s. Very cheap ($220 for the set) but they grip very close to the same as a race tire. They don't last all that long if you ride hard though, only like 4k miles. If you want, you can take my bike out for a spin with them on to test them out.
    I definitely appreciate the offer, but I know I want a more durable tire for the reasons above.

From what I've read, the Michelin Pilot Powers sound like they could fulfill my needs.

Still open to more opinions and reviews!

Thanks so much guys,
    -Chris

I averaged about 7,300 miles on a set of single compound Pilot Powers doing a lot more commuting than carving on the 07 R1. Tires still gripped really good even on cold days (I rode as low as 10 degrees) and canyons tires gripped really well. Surprisingly I hate the 2ct's cause imo they made the bike kind of wobbly at a hard lean in the canyons so sold that set and went back to single.

For Pirellis also check with Oscar/"Scer" here on CSC:

Sol Performance / Pirelli race tires
    233. S. Madsion Ave. Loveland, CO 80537
    970.SOL.TIRE
    solperformance@gmail.com

As to Q2s, fuck them. They're cheap and they're shit in the "cold" (of a 45* day). I couldn't sell my set of them fast enough. Never had any handling issues on my bike with the OEM Bridgestones, with Pilot Power Ones, or with the Pirellis, but those Q2s were shit from day one and never were "confidence inspiring" in the least.

I'm on my 2nd set of Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SPs and, until something better comes along, won't ride on anything else.

I'm not sure what the Pirelli equivalent of Pilot Powers would be, but Scer would know...He's a great guy, supports our local racers, give him a shout.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    Can also call Jim @ TFOG, he supplies tires to many of us.
    +1. I had a good experience with Jim, tire in stock, lowest price, and his shop swapped my rear tire while I hung out for an hour. Way more convenient than getting a ride from a friend or taxi'ing back and forth. He's on the west side in Lakewood, near where I-70 crosses 6th Ave.

www.TFOGracing.com
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Senior Member Yearly Supporter FZ1Guy's Avatar

Jim at TFOG sold me a some Power Pilots for the FZ1... one of those compound tires... its working great and I commute everyday on my bike... the tire wear is fantastic!
    Ridin' and Lovin' Life
    2007 Yamaha FZ1

Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post
    Forgot about best price, they're all going to be close. Go support a shop like TFOG that cares about the CSC.

Jim is on here all of the time offering his expert opinions on our issues/problems. Plus, his tire prices are low, and his price to change tires is one of the lowest in the city. The downside is that you have to listen to his bad jokes.

Other good local shops that support our motorcycle community in one way or another:
    Fay Myers (Bike nights)
    Performance Cycle (just sponsored the CSC picnic)
    Grand Prix Motorsports (Bike nights)
    Sun Honda (used to do Bike nights)

Local is better.

Quote Originally Posted by ATL View Post
    I suppose it would have helped if I specified: I realistically plan on riding 90% commuting/highway and 10% "hypersport" canyon carving.

This has Pilot Road 2s or 3s (or equivalent) written all over it.
    Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

If you want, you can take my bike out for a spin with them on to test them out.

Is this a general invitation to all? If so, I'll take you up on it to test out your ... ahem .... "tires".
    Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.