Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ding dong the duc is gone...

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Re: ding dong the duc is gone...

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post

who knows... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?

I would not want to have to argue against that logic.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

As much as I hate to condone it, but what about a Beemer? I know you waid you want something lighter, but a GS1150/1200 is very road worthy/touring and does okay off-road as long as it's not too difficult. Plus, they are very reliable and run 100k+ miles.

F800/Tiger- awesome bikes, but I wouldn't really want to "tour" with them.

WeeStrom- go ride one, then you decide. I don't care for them at all. no power, no personality.

just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    He's got the V-4 addiction now. He'll need one of these:
    You and your Honda's! Have you heard any feedback on that bike? It's the Crosstour or something like that, right? I don't think I know anyone who's owned one.

Depends on where I'm at and what I'm doing when decision time comes around. One thing that I know is that there's no shortage of makes/models out there that will fit the bill.

the big GS is definitely an option.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    You and your Honda's!
    Hey, he said that he wanted something that wouldn't leave him stranded.

Have you heard any feedback on that bike? It's the Crosstour or something like that, right? I don't think I know anyone who's owned one.
    Yeah, the Crosstourer. I haven't seen one in person yet but I'm thinking it could be a nice weapon in my arsenal.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Hey, he said that he wanted something that wouldn't leave him stranded.
    been a long time since I had a Honda in the garage

Yeah, the Crosstourer. I haven't seen one in person yet but I'm thinking it could be a nice weapon in my arsenal.
    I didn't think those made it to the states in 12... They're not on Honda's website.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!

Interesting. I just did a little reading up on it here http://www.hondacrosstourer.com/

Here's my thoughts (since nobody asked)
    - It's 628lbs wet. That's f'ing heavy once you take it off-road!
    - It's almost a straight copy of the GS with the Honda motor
    - It doesn't have off-road pegs. Which are actually kind of important.
    - No skid plate
    - Since it's new, the aftermarket stuff is going to be pretty slim. Probably only Honda stuff.
    - Dirks right, it will probably never leave you stranded
    - it would be nice if the exhaust was higher for water crossings
    - Why did they do a 17" rear? So many more options with the 18"
    - loaded with bags, crash bars and center stand, it looks pretty good

been a long time since I had a Honda in the garage

I didn't think those made it to the states in 12... They're not on Honda's website.
    Edit....
    Nevermind - the Crosstour that came to mind is an Accord with a hatchback. The closest I could find is the NC700x.

Yeah, not here yet. We usually get things a year after Europe gets them.

--Thomas Jefferson

Interesting. I just did a little reading up on it here http://www.hondacrosstourer.com/

Here's my thoughts (since nobody asked)
    - It's 628lbs wet. That's f'ing heavy once you take it off-road!
    Yeah, it's not for trail riding but I'm really intrigued by it, especially the DCT transmission.

--Thomas Jefferson

^^ I'd be more willing to get something like the Crosstourer over a GS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC123h2Fwek

Looks pretty good all kitted up.

Yeah, it's not for trail riding but I'm really intrigued by it, especially the DCT transmission.
    Not trails, but even gravel/forest service roads, that's a lot of weight to move around. That bike would be really hard to ride on County Road 4/Frying Pan out of Leadville. And that's a County Road.

Plus, if you add on baggage and crash bars, you're pushing close to 700lbs. Loaded up my 950 is around 550lbs, and it's a good workout on a harder road. Even the GS is 505lbs wet. Sorry, don't mean to talk bad about a Honda, just my opinion.

Yes, the transmission does sound awesome! And the idea of having little to no maintenance sounds really nice. Especially to a KTM owner.

I was camping at Stagecoach last week and saw a guy packing up a GS first thing in the morning. About 15 minutes later, I saw him taking off his helmet and jacket while shaking his arm. I went over, and he had strained his bicep trying to push it off the center stand. He asked me to give him a push, which I did, and I can't get over how heavy that damn thing was.

He said he was a on 2-3 week trail ride from Memphis, TN and back but doubted he'd be able to continue the trails. I can't imagine taking that thing off road at all. I know lots of people do, but it would be too much weight for me to handle.

Plus, if you add on baggage and crash bars, you're pushing close to 700lbs. Loaded up my 950 is around 550lbs, and it's a good workout on a harder road. Even the GS is 505lbs wet. Sorry, don't mean to talk bad about a Honda, just my opinion.
    No, those are valid points. It'd be nice if it weighted 150 lbs less, but I've found over the years that weight has been an issue for some people on bikes that I love, but I have found it to be a non-issue for me. I'd definitely want to ride one before I made the leap to buy one, but for the things I have in mind (not crazy-ass adventure riding ), I don't think it would be enough of an issue to kill it as a choice for the stable.

--Thomas Jefferson

Here's a review of the Crosstourer:

http://cyclenews.coverleaf.com/cyclenews/20120324#pg31

--Thomas Jefferson

I've read/heard nothing but good things about the Tuono. Sounds like a blast mmmmk
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!