Thread: Tire Question

Tire Question

I know tire threads are a lot like oil threads, but new tires come out all the time and I have a specific question.

Typically I always run high end supersports. I had a pair of Pirelli Diablo Supercorsas on my RSV and they were awesome, but like most super sticky supersport tires the rears wore down like crazy. Maybe 3000 miles tops. The BMW came with the new Metzelers, but again I'm at 3000 miles and going bald down the middle, plus I don't think they were quite as sticky as the Diablo Supercorsas. As much as I like to think I'm a pro roadracer, I still do a lot of highway miles.

Anyway, looking at new tires, I'm at a toss up between the Pirelli Diablo Supercorsas again, and the Pirelli Diablo Rosso II's. Both are supposed to have new, longer lasting compounds, but the Rosso II's are a triple compound, with a longer lasting center.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...l.bok?no=11440 Rosso II's
    http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...l.bok?no=15608 Supercorsas

Anyway, my question is this, are the mileage compound tires worth it? Will I have issues with reduced traction and grip versus a more high performance tire? Will I be able to get at least 6000 miles out of a rear tire like this? I've never used the mileage compound type types so I really don't know. As you can see, sportbiketrackgear.com has excellent prices on these tires, so money isn't really an issue, but if I'm only going to be able to get 20-30% more out of a compound tire, I would rather just go with the stickier option.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*

Re: Tire Question

This is hardly apples to apples but thought I'd post my experience. My ZX-6R would eat up Dunlop D207's (the "sport" tire at the time) in about 5,000 miles. I ran two sets of those. I then switched to the D220 (the "sport touring" tire) and saw closer to 9,000 miles out of two sets. By that time I was also riding the bike harder since I was more comfortable on it. Wet grip was great as evidenced by numerous rides in the rain, not to mention a 11 hour ride in mostly rainy, 50 degree conditions followed up by a 5 hour ride in rain / snow mixed conditions. Man, I miss those days.

Anyway, your experience would be different on a larger bike and on Pirelli's, but I was personally getting nearly 2x the miles out of the "sport touring" compound. 3,000 miles out of a set of sticky tires on a liter bike sounds about normal, so hopefully someone who has ridden the sport touring compound you're looking at specifically can chime in.
    MRA #88
    Keeping it midpack since 2010!

I've ridden on both Q2s and 2CTs on the track and the street. Either of these will give you longer life and performance, especially the 2CTs. I'm a big fan of pirellis but haven't ridden on the street tires. If you want some great info about them talk to Oscar with Sol Performance. If you need his number let me know and ill get it for you.
    “The knack of flying is in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

Speedin' Motorsports
    Sol Performance - Pirelli

In my experience a sport touring tire offers more than enough grip for street riding (even very aggressive street riding) you don't really see the benefit of a supersport tire until you get it on a track where you can get the kind of heat in them they are designed ,to work with if your only riding on the street it doesn't make sense to run these kinds of tires when you can get the amount of performance you need out of a set that can go 7k miles or more. The rosso 2s are between a sport touring and supersport tire that would be a good option but you still will not see huge mileage gains compared to a true touring tire like a micheline pilot sport. just my 2cents

I'm running the Rosso II's now on my RSV4 and am very pleased so far. I'm about 1500 miles into them and they're wearing slowly and evenly. At this point, other tires would be much more worn than this, and may be cupping or at least be worn to where handling was starting to be affected.

We'll see how many miles I ultimately get out of these, but with my riding style I'm used to getting maybe 3000 miles. At this point though, I can't see myself going back to Q2's or anything else after this set is toast.

Thanks for the info guys. Been reading some reviews and I figure I'm going to give the Rosso II's a try. Not the "stickiest" tire ever, but apparantly Pirelli says you can get 5000+ on the rear on a liter bike, and overall they're actually really good tires. 70/30 street/track. On that note though, I know its a big no-no to mix manufacturers and new/old tires on the front and rear, but has anybody ever done something like put a new dual-compound on the rear and a super sticky on the front? I know Pirelli uses a lot of the same rubber, typically with minor differences, more so to the tread pattern than anything in most cases. I'm toying with the idea of putting either the Rosso Corsa or Supercorsa SC on the front, and then the Rosso II on the rear...
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*

I have a Dunflop Q2 on my front and a Bridgie BT003 race takeoff on my rear. I never worry about mixing