Thread: Hear No Evil Custom Ear Plugs

Hear No Evil Custom Ear Plugs

This will be my review of Hear No Evil and the plugs themselves. The first portion is from the group buy thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmetz View Post
    Went up to Traci's shop today (7-31-12) to get fitted for a set of the chameleon solid plugs. She was very nice and accommodating. The fitting is quick and painless and she was happy to answer any questions I had. She also reassured me that if there is any problem they have a 30 day return. Also if your thinking about filtered but not sure, you can try the solid and later get them filtered if you wish.

I should have my set in a couple weeks. So far she has provided excellent customer service. I'll update on the plugs when I get them.
    I received the earplugs in just a day under two weeks from the fitting. So not a bad turnaround and Traci was spot on in her time estimate. My first impressions are they fit well and feel comfortable. They are easy and quick to put in or take out and they have an NRR of 27db.

I'm taking a long (10-12hrs) trip on Friday so I will really be able to put them to the test and will update. So far I'm pleased with the level of service and my first impressions of the product. Below are pictures of my unboxing.

Traci Morin
    Hear No Evil Custom Earplug Company
    Longmont CO
    303-648-4081
    http://www.bouldermotorcompany.com/c...y_hear_no_evil

I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Re: Hear No Evil Custom Ear Plugs

I'm seeing her on Friday, so very interested in your review. Still not sure which ones I'm getting.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

I wore them on and off while at work today and found them very comfortable. I was able to get a 2 hr stretch in before I had to take them out for business and they didn't bother me at all. For those that don't know, my whole reason for getting these is due to the foam plugs hurting my ears after an hour.

So how did your new ear plugs work on the trip?
    John
    KTM Duke 690

The plugs worked well. As stated they were very easy to put in and take out. For me there seems to be a trade off, and I believe it to be relative to my helmet and not necessarily the plugs themselves. These plugs do not hurt my inside of my ear (foam plugs do) but they do hurt the outside ridge of my ear that they nestle into after about an hour or so. As said I believe this to be a helmet issue as I can wear the plugs comfortably all day without a helmet. Im going to try moving the speakers in my helmet around to see if that makes a difference as the speakers may be putting pressure on the plugs causing the issue.

That said, I can deal with it much better then the foam plugs hurting the inside of my ear as it would hurt for hours after I removed the foam plugs and with these it stops hurting when I take them out. I believe this issue to be isolated and wouldn't let that stop you from trying them yourself. Barring that, I am happy with them.
    Last edited by Jmetz; Thu Aug 23rd, 2012 at 09:57 AM.

I made it up to Longmont today for a fitting. Traci is pleasant and professional. I ordered the unfiltered silicone plugs...eager to see how they perform.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

As an update I have moved the speakers in my helmet and now have no issues. I'm very happy with the plugs and the service provided. I'm Jmetz and I approve these earplugs and Hear No Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    I made it up to Longmont today for a fitting. Traci is pleasant and professional. I ordered the unfiltered silicone plugs...eager to see how they perform.
    Happy ending?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

The silicon plugs are made in a lab and take a couple weeks to arrive.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

My plugs took three weeks to arrive due to the lab backup from the Sturgis event. They fit well and seem to work pretty good….until I put my helmet on. My new snug fitting Suomy breaks the seal on the plugs when I pull it on, so they won’t work with a snug fit full-face helmet. They do work okay with my old packed out Arai, but no better than foam plugs. Unlike Josh, I don’t have any particular problems with the foam plugs, I was just hoping the silicon plugs would work at least as good and fit better. They do fit much better, and are great for other activities like shooting, concerts, etc. Also, they don’t look as dorky in a social setting as foam plugs. I can see how well they could work as ear buds too. I am going to keep them for other loud activities, but probably won’t be riding much with them. Kinda pricy at $114 tho, and I’ll probably lose one eventually.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Good stuff to know, 'cause I can't fit my hand up into my helmet once it's on, to make any adjustments to plugs, if needed. Strange they wouldn't be deep enough to not break seal though...

...and I’ll probably lose one eventually.
    ?
    Last edited by Ghosty; Thu Oct 11th, 2012 at 09:09 AM.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Sorry to hear that John. My X-eleven fits pretty snugly and I haven't experienced this issue. You might contact Traci and see if she has any suggestions/solutions.

I wear custom ear plugs all the time. I've got the "musician's filtered" earplugs. I used to play full-time as a drummer. Anyway, I've been using them for at least 10 years and they still fit great, are comfortable, and provide excellent noise reduction. I almost never ride without them. I have a scala headset too, so I can listen to music and communicate while still wearing the earplugs. I have a Shoei RF1100 helmet.
    -Ryan

Well, hopefully I won't lose them. Traci did say she keeps the molds and can replace for less $ if you do happen to lose one. They are excellent for any kind of music or comm, and I will find some good uses for them. Just not working with this particular helmet.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

My write up on my Ear Plugs...

I went with the custom fit stereo earphones. Expensive, but figured if they last as long as I expect and they help save my hearing, then great. I always wear ear plugs when I ride and I prefer to listen to music for longer rides. But I had to turn up the music loud to get over the wind and bike noise. Plus my normal buds with either get dislodged and hurt or fall out completely. SO went shopping and purchased. Delivery was a little slow, same delay as mentioned above, Sturgis caused backorders on the wiring.

My review is, they work well. Sound reduction is equal to or better than the green foamies I use, plus the sound quality is good from the buds themselves. Once inserted, I have no issues with discomfort from them being in, nor do they move around on me. Heavy duty wiring, still new, but feels durable and more stiff than my previous headphones.

Overall, bit steep in price, but I like them.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

I know these are custom, but you mentioned green foamies. As far as earplugs any brand recommended? Ihave had good and bad/cheap sets and figure if I can get 5 uses out of each pair before trashing them maybe the green ones will be good
    2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green

I've been using the blue plugs.

http://www.hearos.com/
    Last edited by FZRguy; Fri Oct 12th, 2012 at 03:46 PM.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

I've using the blue plugs.

http://www.hearos.com/
    I was using the beiege ones of those from guitar center I used for concerts, but I have the blue ones now they work great, are the green foamies any better?
    2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green

The green ones I have/use are http://www.macksearplugs.com/details...-foam-earplugs

29 db reduction, work great for all my needs unless i want music. Shooting, bikes, using power tools. I reuse them constantly and once they start feeling mushy or get nasty from wax, I toss them at that point.

Don't remember where I got them, wallyworld?
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR