Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So you're done paying for a cable box...

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Nooch's Avatar

Re: So you're done paying for a cable box...

I have a basic package with DirecTV but the ONLY reason I havent cut the cord yet is because I can't watch live football without it (unless I wanna go to a bar or stream a shitty signal illegally from Europe somewhere). At least with DirecTV I have the option to suspend my account for the 6 months in between the Super Bowl and the following season.

If I wasn't a football nut, I would've cut the cord LONG ago, Netflix and my piggyback subscription to HBOGO serve my minimal TV-watching needs just fine for less than $20/mo.

You would think someone would figure this Live Sports issue out by now. I mean the stuff would can get on sites like NFL.com is damn close.

I know TV networks live off of advertisement dollars but professional sports lives off of ticket sales and merchandising. With that kind of income and the potential of selling live broadcasts pay per view style, then maybe posting the game in an online archive free a day or two later would be very feasible in today's viewing market.

MRA Racer No.427

Microsoft's presentation at E3 this year mentioned sports packages being available via xbox live. IIRC, they talked about NHL and NBA.

Now, if they could put together a WSBK/MotoGP package, I might actually have a reason to fire up the xbox.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FZ1Guy View Post
    <Snip...> Here is the trick I learned. I got comcast for internet. Since they connected the house for internet... guess what? I can just plug any of my TV's with a QAM into the cable outlet and get all local channel in HD... its AWESOME. Most newer TV's have a digital tuner with QAM.

All I pay is for internet. <Snip...>
    I don't have Comcast, but THIS.... is an awesome post! I wouldn't have even thought to try that.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Been contemplating this as well, at least dropping DirecTV down to the minimum. I think we're still under contract, but if I can get the other stuff missing in other cheaper/free ways, then so be it. Day care is fuckin expensive, and we need to cut expenses. That said, Breaking Bad/Walking Dead/Falling Skies/etc will arrive in my home.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    Been contemplating this as well, at least dropping DirecTV down to the minimum. I think we're still under contract, but if I can get the other stuff missing in other cheaper/free ways, then so be it. Day care is fuckin expensive, and we need to cut expenses. That said, Breaking Bad/Walking Dead/Falling Skies/etc will arrive in my home.
    No joke about childcare being a total racket (not unlike cable/satellite providers), but I think my kids would mutiny if I took away all their Choice Ultimate shows, and scaled back to something more basic.

I haven't gone so far as to give them boxes in their rooms yet, but they do get outstanding grades, so for now...
    DirecTV: 1
    The Muniz family: 0

On a somewhat related note, if anybody is currently using CenturyLink for internet, and you're still on the 7Mbps plan... Give them a call and see if you can sweet-talk an upgrade to their 12Mbps VDSL.

I just did this recently for +$10/month, and it absolutely smokes the old technology. With multiple smartphones, and game consoles, and Kindles, and blah-blah-blah chewing up my previous WiFi bandwidth, this upgrade has been a game changer.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Here is the trick I learned. I got comcast for internet. Since they connected the house for internet... guess what? I can just plug any of my TV's with a QAM into the cable outlet and get all local channel in HD... its AWESOME. Most newer TV's have a digital tuner with QAM.
    Hmm, so even without a "basic" cable tv subscription your QAM tv can pull signals?

That's...interesting...
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Senior Member Yearly Supporter FZ1Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Hmm, so even without a "basic" cable tv subscription your QAM tv can pull signals?

That's...interesting...
    Right... it works fantastic... and its HD (no box needed)

If you have comcast for internet... you can test it out for your self... just wheel the TV up to a cable plug in, run the automatic channel search on your TV and see the channels pop in...
    Last edited by FZ1Guy; Thu Aug 16th, 2012 at 01:05 PM.
    Ridin' and Lovin' Life
    2007 Yamaha FZ1

IF people were smart, one person would get the package, split it and run cable between 3 or so neighbors.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmetz View Post
    IF people were smart, one person would get the package, split it and run cable between 3 or so neighbors.
    yea, just don't get caught...
    Ridin' and Lovin' Life
    2007 Yamaha FZ1

When I first moved into my house, I hooked up basic cable. But because my TV has a digital tuner in it, the cable guy told me I could watch the neighbors' on demand channels.

Don't know how it worked, but he showed me that there was a series of channels that, if a neighbor was watching something through "On Demand", then I could watch it too.

It was pretty entertaining to see what kind of movies my neighbors liked... kind of creepy as well

Comcast fixed that little glitch a couple of years ago.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!

That's...interesting...
    My guess is that it's probably just a relay of the O.T.A signals that Comcast is capturing and funneling through their cable. It would explain why you'd get the 2s, 4s, and 9s, etc.... But not the CNNs and ESPNs, and other channels associated with "basic".

If you're super lucky, you might get OTA networks from other regions. WGN out of Chicago for example. Either way, that's a helluva trick, and it keeps you from having to have a pair of rabbit ears for every TV in the house.

Again, nice find!
    Last edited by ~Barn~; Thu Aug 16th, 2012 at 02:02 PM.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    My guess is that it's probably just a relay of the O.T.A signals that Comcast is capturing and funneling through their cable. It would explain why you'd get the 2s, 4s, and 9s, etc.... But not the CNNs and ESPNs, and other channels associated with "basic".

If you're super lucky, you might get OTA networks from other regions. WGN out of Chicago for example. Either way, that's a helluva trick, and it keeps you from having to have a pair of rabbit ears for every TV in the house.

Again, nice find!
    Yeah, if this works it beats the F*ing rabbit ears...
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

yea, just don't get caught...
    I'd bet there's nothing that says you can't share your cable.

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    When I first moved into my house, I hooked up basic cable. But because my TV has a digital tuner in it, the cable guy told me I could watch the neighbors' on demand channels.

Don't know how it worked, but he showed me that there was a series of channels that, if a neighbor was watching something through "On Demand", then I could watch it too.

It was pretty entertaining to see what kind of movies my neighbors liked... kind of creepy as well

Comcast fixed that little glitch a couple of years ago.
    Yep. I use to get all kinds of PPV like that. I had like 10 channels of PPV and I would get some other random movie channels as well. The only thing that sucked was not having control of the movies. Start getting into a movie and then bam, they turn it off.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Yep. I use to get all kinds of PPV like that. I had like 10 channels of PPV and I would get some other random movie channels as well. The only thing that sucked was not having control of the movies. Start getting into a movie and then bam, they turn it off.
    Oh I know... One of my neighbors had a nasty habit of turning movies off with like 15 minutes left!

Yeah, if this works it beats the F*ing rabbit ears...
    Yea, and rabbit ears won't work for me since I can't see lookout mountains... so i'm very happy...
    Ridin' and Lovin' Life
    2007 Yamaha FZ1

I'd bet there's nothing that says you can't share your cable.
    There is. Might even be a law against that.
    MRA Expert #880 - 2015 AmateurGTO Champion, 2013 NoviceGTU Champion
    2006 YZF-R6 Race "No name" - 2005 YZF-R6 Street "Aurora"
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Text: (72O) 432-7236

Quote Originally Posted by WolFeYeZ View Post
    There is. Might even be a law against that.
    There is... and there is. Theft is theft.

Old roomy used to work for Comcast. They actually do fly overs looking for pirated signals (hot spots), then send the line men in to investigate.

Yea, and rabbit ears won't work for me since I can't see lookout mountains... so i'm very happy...
    Works.

Then I unplugged it since there's nothing on.

But, at least for local channels, it's a nice HD signal w/o hassle.

Thanks man!
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Works.

Then I unplugged it since there's nothing on.

But, at least for local channels, it's a nice HD signal w/o hassle.

Thanks man!
    HeHeHe...
    Ridin' and Lovin' Life
    2007 Yamaha FZ1

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    They actually do fly overs looking for pirated signals (hot spots), then send the line men in to investigate.
    They don't do that anymore. The tap audit division was shut down over a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Nooch View Post
    They don't do that anymore. The tap audit division was shut down over a year ago.
    Would you know the "Policy" concerning this?

MRA Racer No.427

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Would you know the "Policy" concerning this?
    Yes, because up until a few months ago, I worked at Comcast in the same department as tap audit.
    Last edited by Nooch; Thu Aug 16th, 2012 at 03:43 PM.

Well... it's been almost 10 years since we lived together so...