Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: So you're done paying for a cable box...

Re: So you're done paying for a cable box...

Everything just works so nicely on there.

How much have you used Hulu compared to the others? Worth the 8/mo?
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post

My wife and I use Hulu like a mother fucker lots of shows for the kid too $8 is well worth how much we use it for.

Tell me about this Roku?

Wife watches more tv than me, I'd say she uses hulu the most, then amazon, then a little netflix.

Hulu is great, but they do have a couple of 10 to 60 second ad breaks every so often.
    Usually most anything on tv is on hulu in 24 hrs.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim2.0 View Post
    My wife and I use Hulu like a mother fucker lots of shows for the kid too $8 is well worth how much we use it for.

Tell me about this Roku?
    Tiny little box. Handles 1080p. Transcodes .mkv files with zero delay (much better than my 360 + TVersity setup did) with an App called Plex. Plex grabs covers, descriptions, ratings, intro music (for TV) for all your stuff.

Netflix, Prime, Hulu all native. Remembers where you left off on Neftlix. Automatically (+ 2 button presses) goes to next episode.

$100 up front and you cut your cable bill down to whatever services you subscribe to (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Crackle). I do Flix and Prime (mostly for sweet free 2 day shipping on Amazon). I've gone from $80/mo for TV (after my rate increase) to sub $20. Will make up the cost of the unit in less than 2 months.

Sometimes it takes Netflix a few seconds to transcode up to 1080p quality when you start a new episode or movie. Preloading time is pretty quick (couple seconds). I have to reboot it maybe once or twice a month so far, but seems to be getting better.

You want the Roku 2 HD with 1080p. Expect to hardwire with ethernet. I think they have a wireless version, but I do NOT stream 1080p over wireless.

IMO it is the future of in-home entertainment. The old Comcast/Cablevision model of subscriber services is far outdated. It will only be a matter of time until you can subscribe to a sports streaming service for cheap too.
    Last edited by Zach929rr; Wed Feb 27th, 2013 at 09:21 PM.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Quote Originally Posted by Grim2.0 View Post

Tell me about this Roku?
    But a roku, cancel your cable

Cable is cancelled has been for some time.

Zack what's your take on wireless my best tv in the house is in my bedroom which is not where my modem/router is. Will the Roku do 1080 wirelessly?

That's a good question. I haven't tried after trying to stream 720 wirelessly to my xbox and it was complete shit. Granted that was like 3 years ago, but I just accepted that fact that I prefer to have a ethernet connection. Maybe look up some reviews on wireless performance.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Mine struggles to do 1080 wireless, 720 fine. I should put it on ethernet, just never got around to it yet.

Senior Member Yearly Supporter FZ1Guy's Avatar

Grim, just get a powerline networking adapters... I have them all thoughout my house... to my ROKU's and BlueRay players... works fantastic! You can get a set of 2 for around $50. Be aware that the home wiring can be an issue with connectivity, but you can just moved stuff around until every plugin is working great. Mine worked perfect right out of the box.
    Ridin' and Lovin' Life
    2007 Yamaha FZ1

Quote Originally Posted by FZ1Guy View Post
    Grim, just get a powerline networking adapters... I have them all thoughout my house... to my ROKU's and BlueRay players... works fantastic! You can get a set of 2 for around $50. Be aware that the home wiring can be an issue with connectivity, but you can just moved stuff around until every plugin is working great. Mine worked perfect right out of the box.

Will look into it thanks!

Just looked those up. Had no idea that bandwidth had gotten up to 500 Mbps on those.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Just looked those up. Had no idea that bandwidth had gotten up to 500 Mbps on those.
    yea, much faster in recent years... expect to get about half the speed in actual throughput... but still very fast and easy to put in any room...
    Ridin' and Lovin' Life
    2007 Yamaha FZ1

As I recall, the older ones had to be on the same circuit for them to work. Do you know if that is still the case? What brand are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by birchyboy View Post
    As I recall, the older ones had to be on the same circuit for them to work. Do you know if that is still the case? What brand are you using?
    Hi Birchboy, yea, they still work best on the same circuit. You might have trouble using say one in the garage, and one in the kitchen... but my experience shows that if you just use a room wall plug in... its works great with all other room wall plugins. I use the Trendnet Homeplug 200mb and get great performance and you can get them in pairs for around $50... so that's not bad. You will use up a wall plug, so keep that in mind for other electrical appliances that may need a plug. I have tried plugging into a power strip with very poor, shitty results and no connection sometimes... so plug directly to wall outlet.
    Ridin' and Lovin' Life
    2007 Yamaha FZ1

Hi Birchboy, yea, they still work best on the same circuit. You might have trouble using say one in the garage, and one in the kitchen... but my experience shows that if you just use a room wall plug in... its works great with all other room wall plugins. I use the Trendnet Homeplug 200mb and get great performance and you can get them in pairs for around $50... so that's not bad. You will use up a wall plug, so keep that in mind for other electrical appliances that may need a plug. I have tried plugging into a power strip with very poor, shitty results and no connection sometimes... so plug directly to wall outlet.
    Cool. Thanks.

The wife and I are big readers and book collectors. We cut the cable more than 7 years ago. We did Redbox and DVDs from the library semi-regularly and have been doing the Hulu route for awhile... I just plug my MacBook Pro into my LG when we want a bigger screen.

Yep this is what I did, then I sold my best friend on the idea and he did the same. We needed to do it for PS3 to do updates and what have you plus Blu-Ray updates. Wireless is still slow.

From the country that invented the internet we are currently running 15th in over all cost vs speed.

Internet Speed In United States Lags Behind Many Countries, Highlighting Global Digital Divide

Companies like Comcast and Verizon are making sure the rates stay high vs speed in this country because they do not want to spend the money to upgrade to 100mbps lines. But should these companies be in control of the lines that control your connection to the internet?
    Last edited by Snowman; Fri Mar 1st, 2013 at 10:08 AM.

MRA Racer No.427

MRA Racer No.427

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

So are there ways to get the AMC shows in high-def that don't involve TPB? I looked at Hulu+ and Prime, but the best Prime offers is buying current episodes for $2 a pop. Hulu just refers you to amctv.com, which tells you to go check on Amazon or iTunes. I guess I may have to weigh what DTV costs vs tacking on a few other services and paying the once-weekly cool-kid fee to get the up to date stuff.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

I have been getting more and more into YouTube and it's TV Channels. Some are PPV but more not.

MRA Racer No.427

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

If you want a Roku, One Sale a Day has the 2 XS for $49.99 (refurbished) with free shipping.

http://1saleaday.com/main/?CID=168142&AFID=178621
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    If you want a Roku, One Sale a Day has the 2 XS for $49.99 (refurbished) with free shipping.

http://1saleaday.com/main/?CID=168142&AFID=178621
    How much is the subscription for Roku? Wonder if you can get foreign channels and what not as well
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Lame appears Roku does cinavia too....I will pass!!!
    Last edited by bulldog; Wed Jun 12th, 2013 at 11:31 AM.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!