Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: looking for trail riding buddy

looking for trail riding buddy

I'm picking up a klr tomorrow (hopefully). I know, it's not sexy, it's heavy, slow, etc. I'm looking to do some trail riding. I have been motorcycling for many, many years, but never dirt bikes. I used to race mountain bikes, so I have decent dirt cycling skills.

I live in north Boulder and am looking to explore. Anyone want to meet up and do some trail riding? Like I mentioned, I'll be going slow and learning, but I'd be psyched to explore some trails with others. The first trails I'm looking to hit up is the trail network up lefthand canyon. I've done switzerland several times on my Uly.
    -Ryan

Re: looking for trail riding buddy

KLR 650 or the smaller one. Lefthand will be tough on a KLR 650. On a 250 it would be fun

I'm up for some riding, if its a big bike I'll ride my GS with you, small bike and I'll ride the Husky 510 with ya. (Husky is currently out of commsion until I fix the fuel line and radiator )

I'm in Louisville.
    To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

i would be down but i like to ride nasty ass single track. alot of stuff a klr couldnt make it through lol
    Ride To Live

81' CB900f... the oldy
    11' CRF250R..FOR SALE
    74' MR50......the mini
    87' VFR700...the daily ride

Sweet! I'll PM you guys and post up here when I'm thinking of heading out (assuming everything goes through with the bike sale tomorrow). I'll be looking for tamer trails to start off on, but I'll definitely enjoy trying the harder trails when I'm ready.
    -Ryan

LH trails- not on a KLR! Jay (Bodhizafa) helped me pick up my KLR a bunch of times on that trail!

Ryan- Also check out traildamage.com for some other options. Go back to Switz, now you can go faster and run shit over easier!

Lefthand was tough on my Husky, KLR would be pure torture!
    To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

I would recommend you reconsider the KLR if you want to trail ride

I looked at the lefthand canyon map and there are different grades for different trails there ranging from easy to extreme. Seems like there should be something I can ride. Even if there isn't, there are tons of trails to explore out here. The lefthand canyon trails are just the ones I can see from my house.
    -Ryan

You could do the main trail up to 4 points, then maybe most of fireman, it gets pretty beat up though, very rocky with some steep stuff. Not sure how old that map is but the 4x4 have really beat up Lefthand in the past year or two.

I've gotten the GS up most of fireman, but that heavy bike coming downhill with the switch backs was a butt pucker!

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

I don't know these guys, but here are some KLR's going riding in Boulder on Sat.
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=817608

FYI- LH is the only legal single track in Boulder county. So just be a little careful exploring.

If you want a taste of some of the "trails" on LH, check out these pics that Rob (a good buddy of mine and Bodhizafa) took last week.
    http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=100

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    If you want a taste of some of the "trails" on LH, check out these pics that Rob (a good buddy of mine and Bodhizafa) took last week.
    http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=100
    Looks pretty fun. Did he only take pictures of the easy sections?
    -Ryan

Thanks for the links Sean. Had a blast yesterday and met some new friends. Rode the north and south sections of Caribou along with Switzerland. Caribou was pretty torn up compared to the past so I was told. I'm definitely hooked. Can't wait to head out again.
    -Ryan

i'm there if you bastids will actually invite me for some of this stuff :P
    Caribou up to the creek was doable, but the mud was just killing me on the slick tires.
    How'd the KLR handle the rock garden?
    Doc, riding IS my physical therapy.

Since that was easy for you Ryan, you should take the KLR up Pennsylvania Gulch. A bit more challenging for the area. It's one of DirkTerrell's favorite rides.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Since that was easy for you Ryan, you should take the KLR up Pennsylvania Gulch. A bit more challenging for the area. It's one of DirkTerrell's favorite rides.

I did enjoy it in a masochistic sort of way. If you're in any decent sort of shape, you can take one of the big pigs up it, but it's a workout. Sean was in shape. I wasn't. I'll probably try it again on the XR200 at some point. Another one to try is Bunce School Road going south to north. It's rocky and steep at the beginning through the switchbacks right above Camp Dick, but then it mellows out and is a nice ride. Watch out for quads though.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by duelist13 View Post
    How'd the KLR handle the rock garden?
    LIKE A BAAOOOSSSSS!! The only difficulty I had was on the descent on the south side of Caribou and that's mostly because I'm not used to the bike.
    -Ryan

I will add it to my list. I rode the entire switzerland trail then up rollins pass after work today. It was awesome. I had never been up there before. The road is in great condition and the views... wow. Can't wait to ride some more.
    -Ryan

Switz is easy.......Penn Gulch sucks!

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

Quote Originally Posted by drago52 View Post
    I will add it to my list. I rode the entire switzerland trail then up rollins pass after work today. It was awesome. I had never been up there before. The road is in great condition and the views... wow. Can't wait to ride some more.
    Be sure to ride the whole length down to sugarloaf, or all the way up to sunshine! I've been itching for a bigger dual sport (dr650) but I'm attached to the wr250x in a weird way. I'm on Iris ave. if you ever need tools or a second hand .

Post up a pic of the new whip!
    Doc, riding IS my physical therapy.

Friday:

Saturday:

Monday:
    -Ryan

I brought all my shoes and all my glasses so I would have them

I'd be down to ride w/ you Dragos...but unfortunately with work/kids...i need as much notice as possible. Rode a ton last year, but this year w/ kids getting older...i'm finding it harder and harder to find an excuse to get away from the fam.

Travis
    720-317-9805

P.S. I know most of the trails by rollinsville and st.mary's like the back of my hand and hours of fun can be had up there. Parents also own a cabin in Alice, so parking there and riding from there is easy. HMU
    ~Travis~
    It's okay...I'm a Doctor.
    Originally Posted by Keyser Soze
    Everybody on CSC knows everything
    2003 GSX-R600 - Former Love
    2003 Kawasaki ZX6R - Former Love
    1999 Suzuki TL1000R - Former Love
    2004 DRZ400E - New Dirty
    2002 KFX 650 - Quad

Well Sean, I took you up on your challenge. I rode the Pennsylvania gulch trail today on the klr. That was a lot tougher than those other trails. You really have to keep up your momentum and the trail is pretty sustained. I made it about 3/4 of the way through before I got off my line and had to stop. It took me a little bit to get the bike where it will start without just spinning out, but once I got a little section where I could get it going while on the pegs, I finished it off.

I thought the whole thing was super fun. The first half is mostly riding up slippery ditch up a steep ravine. Not too bad going in and out of each side. Not too many obstacles to avoid and as long as you keep your speed up, no problem. The second half started to get tougher as there were a lot bigger rocks, the line was harder to find, and it was pretty steep, so I was fighting with the bike to keep it upright without spinning the rear too much. My arms started to get tired towards the end and I had a little arm pump on my right forarm at the top! haha.

Pretty fun, but definitely at or near my limit. The trail damage website rates it a 3/4 out of 10, but I thought it was a lot harder than the other 3s I have ridden so far. I rode the bunce school road (rated 3 out of 10) and it was way easier. This trail rating system is bizarre.
    -Ryan

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drago52 View Post
    Pretty fun, but definitely at or near my limit. The trail damage website rates it a 3/4 out of 10, but I thought it was a lot harder than the other 3s I have ridden so far. I rode the bunce school road (rated 3 out of 10) and it was way easier. This trail rating system is bizarre.
    They probably rate it for 4WD vehicles. Things easy on a bike might be tough in a Jeep and vice-versa. Next time you're doing Bunce, take the side road off to the airplane crash site and let us know how it compares to PG.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Scers sidekick... PuhRobin Yearly Supporter Foolds's Avatar

I'm going to have to go play soon with you guys.. The WR needs to be jetted and I'm about 3/4 the way done getting her ready to be plated.