Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can I have internet?

Re: Can I have internet?

wi/fi? ..... that is petty.

go ahead get long winded.

Gold Member

I thought we already covered the legality of the question. Could have sworn it involved aaron getting another anal probe and then being called a storm trooper.

Oh he may or not be a cross dressing crack dealing prostitute.

That last one is just a rumor and i maaaaaaay have been the person to start it. I didnt but you never know what you can be accused of on the black market interwebs.

Wow, really?

Gold Member

To much??

nah.....Aaron prolly has all of NWA's cds.

Gold Member

Yeah but i heard he sucks at drive bys. Thats the word on the streets yo.

Like, I don't even know how this thread got to this point. And look asswipe, I told you I don't sell crack no more. That's lowball stuff.

Gold Member

You cant call me asswipe. Thats a violation of my civil rights. Next thing we know youre going to try and taze me.

"
    Like, I don't even know how this thread got to this point. And look asswipe, I told you I don't sell crack no more. That's lowball stuff. "

is that why you put your monte carlo up for sale?

Gold Member

That and everyone knows the real money is in the h train or coke.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    You cant call me asswipe. Thats a violation of my civil rights. Next thing we know youre going to try and taze me.
    Only if you scream "Don't tase me bro!"

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grant H. View Post
    Out of everyone on here, there is no one that pays attention to the actual legality of this question?

The only thing that would make this illegal in CO, would be the ISP's Terms of Service.

Use of an unsecured network has not been deemed illegal. Intrusion into a secured network, despite being easy, is NOT legal.
    ISP's ToS is not legally binding other than they can boot you off for violating it.

Using a network that is not yours without permission, particularly one which someone else must pay to supply, is illegal. Just because it's unlocked doesn't give you the right to free reign. Breaking into a secured network is most certainly illegal and will carry a stiffer penalty as you have to put effort into the hack, meaning you didn't just "accidentally log into the network when your laptop/phone connected to it" (a potential defense in the open network scenario).

It also isn't just the use of the services that matter. If the owner has to put any man hours whatsoever into determining what you're doing, tracking you down, updating their security because of you, etc the cost of that counts against you in the charges, and can very quickly turn a simple stupid act into a felony crime. If you manage to do anything that crosses state lines in the process, it becomes a federal crime and the FBI loves those if someone can prove enough money was involved (even in man hours -- you don't have to actually steal their money).
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    If you manage to do anything that crosses state lines in the process, it becomes a federal crime and the FBI loves those if someone can prove enough money was involved (even in man hours -- you don't have to actually steal their money).

PHREAK
    What are you, stoned or stupid? You don't hack a bank across state lines from your house, you'll get nailed by the FBI. Where are your brains, in your ass? Don't you know anything?

CEREAL
    Stupid, man. It's universally stupid.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGizzmo View Post
    I love when people use my honeypot errrr "free" open wifi...I gather so much "free" information......
    Wish I had a router that would take ddwrt. Would leave it open and do redirects all day. Or a page flipper.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Only if you scream "Don't tase me bro!"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtiBw...e_gdata_player

Haha

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    ISP's ToS is not legally binding other than they can boot you off for violating it.

Using a network that is not yours without permission, particularly one which someone else must pay to supply, is illegal. Just because it's unlocked doesn't give you the right to free reign. Breaking into a secured network is most certainly illegal and will carry a stiffer penalty as you have to put effort into the hack, meaning you didn't just "accidentally log into the network when your laptop/phone connected to it" (a potential defense in the open network scenario).

It also isn't just the use of the services that matter. If the owner has to put any man hours whatsoever into determining what you're doing, tracking you down, updating their security because of you, etc the cost of that counts against you in the charges, and can very quickly turn a simple stupid act into a felony crime. If you manage to do anything that crosses state lines in the process, it becomes a federal crime and the FBI loves those if someone can prove enough money was involved (even in man hours -- you don't have to actually steal their money).
    Without being disrespectful (read fear of your delivery of a ban hammer ), I would disagree. So would the US Federal Court in Oregon.

They came to the decision that if the network is not secured, then there is no expectation of privacy, and that the actual purpose of the network is to share information.

Especially since Aaron has asked the neighbor, who said it would be fine, there is not a law that states that Aaron cannot use the network.

For more info: http://www.naag.org/unsecured-wirele...l-an-issue.php

To be honest with you guys, I have no idea. I just know there's no way I'd ever charge somebody with theft for using an open network.

Does this mean that you can download all of the "free" movies out there and your neighbor will be the one that get busted for it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Suki View Post
    ...i mean, sure maybe 4 inches isn't much to them, but it sure as hell is alot to me!

Quote Originally Posted by I`m Batman View Post
    Does this mean that you can download all of the "free" movies out there and your neighbor will be the one that get busted for it?
    Technically, yes.

Those with unsecured networks are liable for what happens on their network.

Hence the impetus to secure your network.

However, normally people get busted for sharing those "free" movies. Not just downloading them. The people that the record companies went after were the ones with 100's of gigs of music that they were sharing. Should someone want to download stuff and be a lot less likely to get caught, they would want to be a "Leecher" which means lots of downloads, but very little uploads, or none at all.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGizzmo View Post
    Depends....

Could be you have the newer routers with the guest and secured networks but thought those show up as two different SSID

Could be the type of authentication you have setup with show up as open but then pass you on to somewhere for authentication like a radius or Cisco gateway server. You log in and agree to be good and whatnot and white lists you mac address (or cookies you) for a set amount of time.

What model router? Who set it up?
    Thanks man for answering I do have a newer Cisco router and it does have two accounts; main and guest. Appears like the guest is the one that shows unsecure, but requires a password. From what I read online about it yesterday does seem like this is normal and without the passcode they cannot get in and even with it they do not have access to the network's data.

So seems like so far I am good and will keep "freeloaders" off. Sheesh can't people just buy their own shit and realize we all work hard for what we get; at the least your traffic decreases my speed. Everyone thinks people have the skills to lock their networks, but people like grandma's are lucky they can even get to a webpage much less set things up like that; sadly my mom is this way and probably doesn't even know what a secured internet is. Sad to see it is what I would consider a "role model" (police officer) for these things; and then they wonder why people don't respect them....just sayin
    Last edited by bulldog; Thu Aug 23rd, 2012 at 08:45 AM.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grant H. View Post
    Technically, yes.

Those with unsecured networks are liable for what happens on their network.

Hence the impetus to secure your network.

However, normally people get busted for sharing those "free" movies. Not just downloading them. The people that the record companies went after were the ones with 100's of gigs of music that they were sharing. Should someone want to download stuff and be a lot less likely to get caught, they would want to be a "Leecher" which means lots of downloads, but very little uploads, or none at all.
    So true its why I turn the upload speed to like 1Kbps and delete it off the list after its down. I take, I never give...LOL I might give if I lived in some other country.

The time I got a letter was because the movie uploaded through the night...because I did not take it off my list. It's when I started to turn the upload speed way way down so there is time to take it off.

I've ordered all of my parts, now it's a waiting game. Also got my dish taken apart just in time for a coworker to say, "You could have had my old dish if you would have just come taken it off my house." FML.

Next step is to cut down the arm that will hold the actual antenna, and then build the copper biquad antenna. So on order is an N-connector panel mount, 10 foot N-male to N-female cable, 2 foot N-male to RP-TNC adapter, Linksys router with upgraded firmware to allow re-broadcasting, and a butane torch

Gold Member

Fuck that. Way to much work. Time is also money.