Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Racing

Racing

Woke up and found myself working fifteen hours a day and decided I want to start racing and go from there. The only thing is I have no idea where to start , I have talked briefly with other CSC members but I am serios about it now. I have a hundred percent support from the wife so any tips or anything will be helpful. Thank you in advance and I hope to hear from you soon

Peace
    Kenny Lewis

Well, first thing you need to do is take a race school. This makes sure you know how to handle yourself on a track, understand the rules, and have some knowledge of race-day procedures and bike maintenance.

The MRA isn't doing any more this year, however you can contact Mark at Vanmar Racing for a private class (should cost you about $145 or so) or Ricky Orlando for the same.

Once you've done that, you will need to prep the bike and get it safety wired. No coolant, etc. Many experienced racers on here can help with that.

As for the race itself, pit with another racer! Most are happy to help, and it will make your day go a lot easier if you have someone to help show you the motions. I also suggest cornerworking in the meantime. You get a little bit of cash, and will learn a lot just by watching other racers in the turns.

Check out www.mra-racing.org for other useful info.

I'm moving this to the race forum, FYI.

Re: Racing

Cornerworking is a GREAT way to learn things for racing.
    ~MR. PISSY PANTS~
    R . I . P. Gene, you will be missed!

01 Dakota (Yama-hauler)
    00 WR-400 (da da dirty dirty)
    06 GSXR 6 (street toy)
    06 KLX 110 (play toy)
    02 Kawi Quad (play toy #2) maybe for sale...anyone interested??

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

<--and yes i think this is a Texas flag Well, at least i THOUGHT it was, until peanut took it away...dam you peanut, DAMMMMM YOUUUU!!!!!

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin
    I've got a fully ready 2001 F4i race bike with lots of extras and a new clutch for sale.. pretty cheap too

it has everything from body work to an extra set of rims.
    Newton

Quote Originally Posted by Bertha";p="228898
    I've got a fully ready 2001 F4i race bike with lots of extras and a new clutch for sale.. pretty cheap too

it has everything from body work to an extra set of rims.
    Good Boy Bertha
    Gene Bazyl
    MRA, ASMA #502
    AMA SS & FX #503

Ive got a 2001 GSXR 750 race bike for sale. $4500

It would be a great bike to start out on.. as it was the bike i started out on.

Mike

Faster then his '04 750
    Gene Bazyl
    MRA, ASMA #502
    AMA SS & FX #503

First, get a barrel full of cash…
    John
    KTM Duke 690

I may also have an 01 GSXR600 for sale at the end of this season, since I'm considering going the way of the SV650 instead...

I have a real cheap 99 R6, only smokes when the engine is running.

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe";p="228925
    I may also have an 01 GSXR600 for sale at the end of this season, since I'm considering going the way of the SV650 instead...
    see barrel full of cash post...
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller";p="228926
    Yeah wtf was up with that dude? You looked like a damn chimney going down the track. Only did it on decel and you didn't seem like a safety issue, so we let it slide...

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe";p="228928
    Quote Originally Posted by Bueller";p="228926
    Yeah wtf was up with that dude? You looked like a damn chimney going down the track. Only did it on decel and you didn't seem like a safety issue, so we let it slide...
    Yea, I didn't hear about it 'till after Sportsman, when Green12 told me I was puffing smoke. Checked to make sure it wasn't leaking, but found it just puking from the pipe so I just ran AmGTO real easy.
    Thinking rings maybe valve guide seals, Bart is thinking the same. Probably the last race on that bike anyway.
    Would make a great bike to pick up cheap, and just get the engine freshened up and it'll be ready to go again.

right now I have a 2001 f4i set up for racing, may need to be wired. I would also be looking into a second bike if the deal is right. Anyways how do you get in the cornerworking who would I talk to and when would I do it? I also have heard there is an enormous cost to racing, how do you go about sponsors? Thanks again for the responses.

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin
    Talk to ralphy *rforsythe* about corner working. Sponsors are always hard to get, you can try sponsorhouse.com and you can also go and talk to people about it and see what they will do to help you.
    Newton

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis2280";p="229002
    right now I have a 2001 f4i set up for racing, may need to be wired. I would also be looking into a second bike if the deal is right. Anyways how do you get in the cornerworking who would I talk to and when would I do it? I also have heard there is an enormous cost to racing, how do you go about sponsors? Thanks again for the responses.
    Mark Schellingers (who you need to call for race licenses) - 303-944-0333

Sponsors are a tough call, some people can get them with out producing results but most want to see you up front to get some exposure. One thing to keep in mind: a lot of people/companies with offer you "sponsorships" with are only discounts on their merchandise. In return they will expect that you exclusively buy from them, which is not always in your best interest. I say you best bet is to find the products and vendors you like and build relationships with them.
    Gene Bazyl
    MRA, ASMA #502
    AMA SS & FX #503

There is something you can do to prepare yourself for racing. Get a nice 100 deg. day, Build a roaring fire in the fireplace, Put on your full race leathers, boots, gloves, helmet, Sit in front of the fireplace and throw money at it. This will give you a good feel for a day at the races.

Cheers.
    Marc
    84 R100RS LE, 14 Ducati MTSGT, 18 Desert Sled, 73 850 Commando, 78 CT90, 14 Ural, 74 Eldorado police, 64 R50/2, 01 DRZ400E, 94 900SS/CR, 77 HD XLCR, 2011 T100, 63 MG Falcone', 75 Ducati 860GT, 2015 Royal Enfield Classic Chrome, 2009 XR1200, 1944 Nimbus, 1989 GB500 https://lomaxcm.smugmug.com/

Loopty
    Pronounced with an "oopty"
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother

Quote Originally Posted by Lomax";p="229110
    There is something you can do to prepare yourself for racing. Get a nice 100 deg. day, Build a roaring fire in the fireplace, Put on your full race leathers, boots, gloves, helmet, Sit in front of the fireplace and throw money at it. This will give you a good feel for a day at the races.

Cheers.
    Marc
    Ah, so you were at La Junta too?

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe";p="228862
    Well, first thing you need to do is take a race school. This makes sure you know how to handle yourself on a track, understand the rules, and have some knowledge of race-day procedures and bike maintenance.

The MRA isn't doing any more this year, however you can contact Mark at Vanmar Racing for a private class (should cost you about $145 or so) or Ricky Orlando for the same.

Once you've done that, you will need to prep the bike and get it safety wired. No coolant, etc. Many experienced racers on here can help with that.

As for the race itself, pit with another racer! Most are happy to help, and it will make your day go a lot easier if you have someone to help show you the motions. I also suggest cornerworking in the meantime. You get a little bit of cash, and will learn a lot just by watching other racers in the turns.

Check out www.mra-racing.org for other useful info.

I'm moving this to the race forum, FYI.
    If you want to make the trip to La Junta this weekend, you can lic with the SMRI which accepted in the MRA.

The cost of the class is $150
    If you abandon yourself to foolishness....
    ...You lose touch with your beginnings.

Troy "TC" Runck #124
    SMRI New Rider Director

Sponsored by:
    Paint By TCR
    505 by Design
    Morse Racing Products

Next, buy a van to tote the bike with...see my post under "For Sale"

...Shameless...
    93 Ducati 750SS for the Street
    95 CBR600F3 for the Track
    MRA #747

Next, buy a van to tote the bike with...see my post under "For Sale"

...Shameless...

Oops, double clicked...
    93 Ducati 750SS for the Street
    95 CBR600F3 for the Track
    MRA #747

ebazyl: He is right on about the sponsor stuff. The web site is a good place to start but U have to pay a fee each year to be on it. Other sponsors is a networking thing. The company U may work for, or relatives work for. Hell just calling them up. It takes a lot and in a lot of cases wont get U enough to make a dent in the bill. Keep in mind your largest fees. Tires, entry fees, fuel, travel ie Hotel, and bike maintenence. There are others but these all add up the quickest for me. At 300 bucks a set per weekend tires are the largest. Anything U can do to lower that bill will help. Discounts, sponsors, contingency. Other than that most racers use their primary sponsor Visa Card. haha

Edit: Also before U consider racing, get plenty of track time. The way I decided to race was hitting SCR on Thursdays and there was always some yellow plates out there. I was able to pass some here and there and I thought if I can pass a couple Y not give it a try? My only goal when I started was not to take last place. Good luck
    R6-Forum's June 2010 Ride of the Month!

Sig. Courtesy of GIJoe007

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:
    Rief Resources Media/Rebellion Motorsports /
    Lockhart Phillips / Factory Backing / GoPro Camera

I would like to take my time into this now that I think about it more. It sounds like jumping into it may not be my best approach. I would like to try cornerworking and I will PM the people that can help me with that hope you don't mind. Also as far as track time I am unfamiliar with when and where there are open times. I appricate all the responses and hope to see all of you out there real soon.