Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Loud Pipes

Loud Pipes

I know... This has been talked and been debated on here before...so what.

I was driving home from school today with the windows down. My A/C is not the best so I generally have the windows down. I also check the rear view often to see what/who is behind me. This particular time I saw a cruiser. I don't mind cruisers, so I tried guessing what kind it was before it passed me( it's a fun game if your in a car). As it got closer, I notcied a guy in a blue t shirt and black half helmet. He accelerated as he went by and MY GOD! Those loud ass pipes made my head twitch and my jaw tightened up. UN GODLY loud. WTF!? I absolutely love motorcycles, but after hearing that, I even thought about supporting the banning of aftermarket exhausts. I can only imagine how people who don't ride, or don't like motorcycles feel. It was painfully loud, like standing on the grid at an NHRA event with no ear protection. I guess he was cool though...
    Last edited by kawasakirob; Wed Aug 29th, 2012 at 11:41 PM.
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Re: Loud Pipes

Quote Originally Posted by kawasakirob View Post
    I know... This has been talked and been debated on here before...so what.

I was driving home from school today with the windows down. My A/C is not the best so I generally have the windows down. I also check the rear view often to see what/who is behind me. This particular time I saw a cruiser. I don't mind cruisers, so I tried guessing what kind it was before it passed me( it's a fun game if your in a car). As it got closer, I notcied a guy in a blue t shirt and black half helmet. He accelerated as he went by and MY GOD! Those loud ass pipes maid my head twitch and my jaw tightened up. UN GODLY loud. WTF!? I absolutely love motorcycles, but after hearing that, I even thought about supporting the banning of aftermarket exhausts. I can only imagine how people who don't ride, or don't like motorcycles feel. It was painfully loud, like standing on the grid at an NHRA event with no ear protection. I guess he was cool though...

I know exactly how you feel. My ears are physically sensitive to very loud noises because of a slew of ear infections as a kid. (You know how someone with a lot of ear infections gets a set of tubes to help relieve it? I had 7 sets.)
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

Cruisers are ridiculous loud being straight piped, sportbikes only get loud with GP style pipes. Having noise is a bit of a plus with other cagers around you but too much of it can definitely do some damage

Before I replaced the gutted can on the VFR, it was essentially a straight pipe. Good god it was loud! Like NASCAR loud. People would roll up their windows to talk on their cell phones, or change lanes to get away. In some respects the replacement can is much easier to live with.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Here's what I'll never understand about the "Loud pipes save lives" group: no one actually hears your damn pipes until you are ALREADY PAST THEM. It's like the concept of how sound travels is completely lost on these folks.

Loud pipes make being a motorcyclist harder than it has to be.
    2016 Hyundai Veloster
    2007 SV650...NAKED!
    2007 MINI Cooper (sayonara, you piece of garbage)
    2002 Acura TL Type-S (Sold)
    2003 Triumph Speed Triple...NAKED! (DECEASED)
    2000 Suzuki SV650...NAKED! (DECEASED)
    2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)
    ~Kyle

You won't want to ride behind me then. I downloaded DB Meter Pro and the RSVR's re-cored pipes are cranking out 98 db

I love them pipes! They have saved me many a time from phone gabbing cagers
    "Every Crotch is a Rocket" HDAVE

'09 Suzuki SV650
    '07 Honda CBR 600RR
    '14 1875 watt Conair

MRA#522

I agree cagers may not hear you from the back, but they can at least hear you when you are in their blind spot or side by side. Makes them actually check their blind spot. Makes them a little more aware.
    Will Jackson (303)908-9805
    Current ride: 2001 TL1000R red
    1979 XR500 I believe I have the world record jump of 60ft on this old heavy bike. Lol

Sold: '07 R6, '06 SV650, '05 and '01 Yz 250 2 smoker
    '87 SR 500, '97cr250, '80 xr250,
    '78 ts185, '08klx 140, '02 yz426f

I had M4 Retro drag pipes on my ZX-14. That bike would put any loud-pied cruiser to shame.

never again!
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Do'Urden View Post
    Here's what I'll never understand about the "Loud pipes save lives" group: no one actually hears your damn pipes until you are ALREADY PAST THEM. It's like the concept of how sound travels is completely lost on these folks.

Loud pipes make being a motorcyclist harder than it has to be.
    I agree, and if it weren't for wildlife running like they were going to die 100 yards ahead of me I would have changed the RC's pipes back to stock! Good thing deer don't cage it.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Please explain. My understanding of physics seems to be at odds with yours.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

[QUOTE=sprtbkbabe;695431]You won't want to ride behind me then[/]

I rode once with an R1 equipped with a BozBros tiny slash cut pipe. I felt like a tool riding with someone who's pipe was that loud. Especially in towns from light to light. They loved it...Just not for me. Good rider though.

I"ll work on posting something up about loud pipes vs. safety like Darth mentioned. I know it's out there I've read it also before
    Last edited by kawasakirob; Fri Aug 31st, 2012 at 10:37 AM.

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

When that guy passed me I only started to hear him once he was almost past my blind spot going about 65. True, you could argue that's safety....but who in their right mind would stay in a blind spot for more than just a split second? Even in heavy traffic?

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

I like my pipes!
    My race bike is my quiet bike now.

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    He obviously is just driving 750 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Not sure why it's hard to understand. An object that is moving forward that is producing sound that is being directed BEHIND said object that is traveling at any type of speed over 40mph (a guesstimation, I don't have empirical data on this point) is traveling IN FRONT OF said sound. Ergo, said sound will not be heard until the source of said sound (in this case the exhaust can) is nearly parallel with the listener. Hence, the stupid cager on her cell phone still isn't going to know you're anywhere near her until you're RIGHT THERE.

I've had this happen to me time and time again, in both the cage and the bike. Some HD jackass with pipes screaming at a sonicly-smooth 130db will creep up on me only to pass me...and then proceed to deafen me for the next 3 miles as he rides on ahead. So yeah, he's so amazingly safe with anyone that can actually hear him already BEHIND HIM.

I've had cagers "notice" me at the last second as well, and it wasn't because I had loud pipes. So attributing this reaction to some "loud pipes saved my life on more than one occasion" credo is hardly scientifically concrete evidence that they need to annoy the ever-living piss out of everyone else on the road.
    2016 Hyundai Veloster
    2007 SV650...NAKED!
    ~Kyle

Aw shit somebody dropped the ergo bomb.

KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Not sure why it's hard to understand. An object that is moving forward that is producing sound that is being directed BEHIND said object that is traveling at any type of speed over 40mph (a guesstimation, I don't have empirical data on this point) is traveling IN FRONT OF said sound. Ergo, said sound will not be heard until the source of said sound (in this case the exhaust can) is nearly parallel with the listener. Hence, the stupid cager on her cell phone still isn't going to know you're anywhere near her until you're RIGHT THERE.
    Are you saying that if I'm on a street and a motorcycle is down the street coming towards me I won't here the exhaust regardless of how loud it is until it's beside me? If so, my ears have been playing tricks on me my whole life, I could swear that I've heard this happen before.

Oh brother...

Someone fix this quick.
    Last edited by CaptGoodvibes; Fri Aug 31st, 2012 at 02:24 PM.
    Disclaimer: If I post a link, assume it's NSFW.
    Bike: 2009 FZ-1 "The Hematoma"

Not sure why it's hard to understand.
    Because your theory is amusing to people that have passed physics.
    Disclaimer: If I post a link, assume it's NSFW.
    Bike: 2009 FZ-1 "The Hematoma"

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

Edit: Disclaimer - I'm not a physics expert!

Quote Originally Posted by birchyboy View Post
    Are you saying that if I'm on a street and a motorcycle is down the street coming towards me I won't here the exhaust regardless of how loud it is until it's beside me? If so, my ears have been playing tricks on me my whole life, I could swear that I've heard this happen before.
    It depends on what's behind the motorcycle down the street. If there's something (ie: houses/buildings/parked cars) for the exhaust noise to bounce off of, then yes, you will hear it, but if you're on the open highway, and there's nothing for the noise to bounce off of, then no, you won't really hear it... at least nowhere near as loud as you will once they pass you.
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

Simple

Darth travels at the speed of sound.
    It works! Slow in, Fast out
    "Sarcasm is difficult to convey on the internet, especially if the people reading it don't know you personally". By Spiderman
    Neither irony nor sarcasm is argument. By Rufus Choate
    Be smart, be nice, do what'cha love and always have fun.
    Let food be your medicine, and medicine be your food. - Hippocrates
    I will use treatment to help the sick. I will never use it to injure them or wrong them. I will not give poison to anyone. - The Hippocratic Oath

My statement assumed both the listener and noise-maker are in motion. If you're standing still down the street on a nice little quiet spring day, then yes, you'll certainly hear the cacophony. And for what? You gonna stay put even though you can't yet see the noise-maker? No, you're gonna proceed when you feel it's safe regardless of what you hear--that's assuming you're not enjoying the AC with the windows up and the radio playing lightly in your very well sound-insulated passenger cabin, thereby preventing you from hearing anything at all...until the noise-maker is right there anyhow.

Look, I'm not trying to start any shit. I just find the mentality to be exceptionally flawed, and ultimately detrimental to society's overall perception of motorcycles without any true empirical data stating that the noise is necessary and beneficial to a rider's safety.
    2016 Hyundai Veloster
    2007 SV650...NAKED!
    ~Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    It depends on what's behind the motorcycle down the street. If there's something (ie: houses/buildings/parked cars) for the exhaust noise to bounce off of, then yes, you will hear it, but if you're on the open highway, and there's nothing for the noise to bounce off of, then no, you won't really hear it... at least nowhere near as loud as you will once they pass you.
    So if a motorcycle is running in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does is still make sound?????