Thread: loss of power on hwy

Board Newbie

loss of power on hwy

I just bought my first bike, a 2009 Ninja 250 with 5k. I took it on the hwy and after riding for about 10-15 min going 65mph, all of sudden I lose all power and drop to 30 mph like that and pull over to the shoulder and start over again. This has happened more than once. Am I doing something wrong, should I down shift...let the clutch in a little. It rides wonderful otherwise. Please help before I get rear ended on I-70.

Re: loss of power on hwy

Sounds like a fuel delivery problem, possibly a problem with the tank petcock. it is vacuum actuated in the "on" position, so look for a vacuum leak or possibly kinked or clogged lines. Perhaps the tank vent is blocked.

From what I've read those things have a relatively common problem with the fuel tank vent in the cap. Try immediately opening it when this happens and if you hear a whoosh from air being let in, you need to trim a little rubber from the gasket. (Sister's 250 "talks" to us regularly because it has that problem. Trimmed it back and no more problem.)
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

Board Newbie

Thank you both for the replies. I took the motorcycle classes, which were worth it, but they don't teach you anything about maintenance so I have no clue how to perform the tasks you recommended. However, I jotted down what you said and plan to take your advice with me when I drop the bike off at Coyote Motorsports tomorrow to have it looked at.

Coyote is a Yamaha only dealer iirc. Plus, the suggested fix sounds like something 10 minutes and a 6 pack of good beer would fix if the right CSCer answers the call.
    Disclaimer: If I post a link, assume it's NSFW.
    Bike: 2009 FZ-1 "The Hematoma"

Quote Originally Posted by CaptGoodvibes View Post
    Coyote is a Yamaha only dealer iirc. Plus, the suggested fix sounds like something 10 minutes and a 6 pack of good beer would fix if the right CSCer answers the call.
    Agreed on the second part (I don't know anything about Coyote other than I've passed them at least 100 times.)
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

Why Coyote? just because of location? Any dealer is gonna stick it to you hard for that type of problem. Try Tfog or Epic if you have to take it to someone.

also check your temp, some engines will go into a limp mode when they overheat.

I'm betting it's the vacuum problem described by Wrider.
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

For all things and problems ninja related (although much more focused on older pre 2008 ) the best tool is http://forums.ninja250.org/ Has a specific New gen forum and the best FAQ on the web. Most of the FAQ will most likely apply to an 09 with small differences. Check it out or post questions in the New Gen section.