Thread: lock and load!!

Gold Member

lock and load!!

Senior Member Yearly Supporter FZ1Guy's Avatar

Re: lock and load!!

I got my sawed off shotgun handy... just in case...
    Ridin' and Lovin' Life
    2007 Yamaha FZ1

CSC co-founder

I've been thinking about storing some water. I've looked at the big drums sold, but would prefer something a little more portable & storable.

Anyone have any water care mx guides, tips, etc???
    PHX, AZ

I've found the 5 gallon plastic carboys to be a good compromise on size vs weight. You can even get some that stack.

Senior Member Moderator

When storing water, the important thing to do is rotate it out every 6 months. When starting out, the easiest way would be to fill each drum roughly 2 months apart. Mark the drums with the date filled on a post-it or masking tape.

As far as treating the water, with the amount of treatment tap water receives, you don't necessarily need to add more. However, if you want to err on the side of caution you can always add 1/8th teaspoon of chlorine bleach per gallon to kill any harmful microbes.
    http://www.nationalterroralert.com/safewater/

As for food storage, start with the essentials: dried beans, rice, wheat & oat grains, etc... Whole grains are better than buying processed flour because they're not stripped of their nutrients. In a survival game it's all about getting the most nutrition you can whilst maintaining minimal rationing. Just make sure you get a decent hand grinder in case you have limited or no electricity. After you have those down you can start adding other items like bouillon cubes, coffee & cocoa beans, salt, sugar, and so forth. Like water, you'll have to rotate it out. The best way to rotate it is to use it, that way it doesn't go to waste, not to mention you learn how to process the ingredients and practice making the food you'll survive on. Win, win.

If you don't want the hassle of using raw materials you can always get meals ready to eat (MREs) at survival stores, they're $40-60 for a case of 12 meals depending on the year and brand you get. Keep in mind, a single MRE has roughly 1200 calories.