Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Utah 1088

Utah 1088

Here we may go again...........I'm thinking about doing this one.

Here's a little shorter ride that would be loads of fun, is close to home and you can get an up close view of THE BIG DOGS!!!!!

Check out www.utah1088.com

I'm signing up for this is if I can scrape the cash together in time to get a slot. Are you running in it, Harry?
    Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.

YES!!!!!
    Although, like you I've yet to pay and they stop collecting the $$ after 75 people sign up If I had to I could pay it now, but would prefer to hold off for 2-4 weeks. Have you seen a list of entrants so we know when we're getting close to #75?

You want to run it together?
    I know you're a solo guy, but this will be more fun running it as a duece-(also I will not slow you down) I've never done this type of rally, but have 7-1K days under my belt and feel I can run a 1K in 14 hrs.

Tell me again how far you can get on a tank of gas on yer GS. I'll be most likely on the FZ1 similar to your 919 and if I don't have a rally type bike by then will likely by an aux cell.

I just read one riders report who traveled 1620 miles!!!

Dude. I'm the same way- would rather buy an electric vest instead of something in June but I'll probably send in my registration after the first. I've never done a rally either, but I'm pretty sure that I could ride for 26 straight if I needed to. 14 hours is pretty fast for 1000 on Utah highways and stuff, but I see where you're going. Also there are certain checkpoints you have to make and they don't open until certain times so I think it's better to pace yourself. I'm all about trying for the top 20 on this one and I don't think you'd slow me down- let's do it.

My tank range on the 650 is about 220 before I get nervous. I'm planning my new luggage rack around adding a fuel cell someday. Can you imagine a 450 mile range? That would rule. The 919 was geared so low I got about 150/tank at 85 mph.

You up for doing a quickie SS1000/BBG to the gulf in the next month or so? I ought to get one on the books and I don't know if they'll like me much for turning one in from June.

Saweet!

So we ride!!. I'll send in the $ when you do, so let's keep in touch and try to pay the same time so we can both get in. The 1st is in 1 week-ish, the 15th works better for me, but I guess that's a gamble.

Assuming I'm on the FZ1 I currently hit reserve around the 190-200 range, but like I said I think I'll improve upon that and certainly if we're to be competative we'll want @ least a 300 mile range.

I'm 10 days post-op from a major shoulder surgery and can't currently scratch me arse, so my SS1k will need to wait until 4/11/03,(which you should join us-50CC crew on) HOWEVER....I know that Henry and Jeff,(Nick Ninja) will be doing a ss1K before 1/1/03!!!!!!!

Any chance you can get wired w/ a CB between now and the 1088??

Harry Biker

Harry-

Depending on whether or not my boss messed up my OT, I'll be sending in the cash next week. Considering that the registration opened up in October, we should pay ASAP. I'll keep you posted.

I have a grocery list of stuff to get by April, so I should have a CB by then. I was talking to the chatterbox guy and their CB setup seemed pretty good. A fuel cell requires hard bags which run about $900. I might also try going down a tooth or two in the rear. After that it's aux lights, GPS, and a tank bag. I want to win the powerball for Christmas.

Do you have a GPS? I guess everybody needs one for some of the bonus locations.

For the lurkers: http://www.utah1088.com/default.cfm

Hey Mike,

Went to the bike show today & saw your model bike. My wife liked your bike alot.
    Me..I'm liking the Adventurer A LOT!!!!!!!!

Nothing like time & 1/2, except for maybe winning POWER BALL.

Currently I do not have a GPS. One is needed to find certain bonus's most likely.

I will definately run this rally with aux lighting and a GPS. The aux cell will be last on the list and if somehow I end up w/ the 7.9gallon GS Adventurer then it's no longer an issue.

What will be our travel dates from and returning to Denver?

Harry-

The Adventure is nice. The great thing about BMWs is some people buy them for their first bike and lose interest before they put any real miles on them. For instance, there is a 2001 (or 2002) F650GS at BMW of Denver with something like 75 miles on it selling for more than $2k less than what it cost new. If your wife wants one- the deals are crazy this time of year at all the beemer shops- this seems to be the time when lots of used stuff comes back. Same thing for all the other bikes. Definately not as fast as the FZ, but the cool factor is huge.

As for travel plans, I think that I would get there in the afternoon on the 26th and come home after a nap on the 29th. I think the awards thing started at one- it's somewhere in one of the writeups. the ~500 miles back to Denver shouldn't be that big of a deal and it saves the expense of another night at a hotel and missing another day of work. What do you think?

Hey Mike,

I need to get clarification as to actual start times of this rally. I know the pre-rally Bar-b-que is Thursday the 26th and the end or rally gathering is the 29th. If the rally starts on the 27th and I think it's only a 26 hour timed event?.........
    My assumption is the rally starts early on the 28th. If that were true, I'll likely bypass the 26th all together and pull out of Denver early on the 27th.

As far as heading back to Denver on the 29th, I'd be hip to do that assuming I get enough sleep post rally,
    (and I ain't talking the "Iron Butt Motel" either)

Did you buy from BMW Denver or Foothills?
    Just curious as I think you got out of your Honda,...did you trade @ a dealership or sell it on your own?

Harry- good point about the dates. That seems strange to me too now that you mention it. I kind of want to rub elbows with the 'butters since I'm trying to volunteer on the IBR this year to make my odds better for 2005, but maybe it's not worth another hotel day.

I got rid of my last Honda (919) the hard way (broken leg) and decided that I wanted more of a touring/adventure bike. Got the GS at BMW of Denver.

Gotta go- my relatives are trying to "fix" my house...

You're gonna try for the IBA rally in 2.5 yrs!!!!
    Kick Arse!!

Nice to know I'll be riding with someone that has their competative juices flowing. I now believe a top 20 in the 1088 is very doable!

What if any other planned rides do you have on your ajenda to practice for THEE RALLY? Perhaps the Butt Lite?

It all has to do with cash. The Butt Lite is a possibility but I figure any rally will cost a minimum of $100/day in gas, hotel, food, parts, and tires plus the entry fee. That's not including all the other jazz you need to get started like bags, GPS, fuel cell, etc. The 1088 is tempting because it's cheap and it's only 26 hours of riding. I figure in the next 2 summers I'll get everything nailed down and save enough cash for a shot at the title.

As far as competetiveness goes, I'm a bastard. My work hours are wierd so I'm always staying up 24+ hours- I figure it's good training. I've also ridden in the last two 24-hour mountain bike relay races at Winter Park (never too successfully though). I figure it's all about self-motivation- I'm good at that.

Once your wing is un-busted you have to go test ride the 1150GS. I've been meaning to do it since I bought my 650 but I haven't had the time. I made a point not to test ride anything there but the 650 before I bought one since I'm lacking in the self-control department. The BMW test ride policy is sweet- "Here's the key, try to be back in an hour."

I can relate to the temptations BIG TIME @ the local Beemer shop. Last year I brought home a 1100RT with on 27K on the clock and the asking price was $8500. The wife said NO thus I'll have to most likely spend 18K now to get the Humvee model

Mike, I'd highly recommend you read Ron Ayers new book on long distance tips. I knew a lot prior to that read, but must say I came away very impressed and know certain areas I must improve on if I ever hope to compete,(such as mastering the use of a GPS etc.)

Can you ride this Saturday? I can't do anything too long being post-op, but did get on the Yammy today and it wasn't too bad. King Henry may want to go too.

Can't make it Saturday- It's not going too good with the Bimmer. On Christmas I sprung a radiator leak during my annual cinnamon roll run. I noticed it while getting some fresh ground at our favorite Starbucks but still made another 30 miles figuring it was cold enough that I didn't need coolant. Ended up with a wet shoe and no bike for the next few days... they weren't specific. BMW of Denver REALLY needs a loaner program. I'm peeved. They did give me a ride home, which scored some serious customer service points.

Maybe next weekend- I'm heading up to Bailey on the 3rd to go to check out Clearview windshields around noon. Want to get together before that, maybe 9ish?

Thanks for the reco on the book- I'll check it out.

Well, that sucks about your leaking coolant.

Clearview's a good choice. I had a touring shield from them on my old XX and may be looking to them for the FZ1 if Rifle does not work.

I do however have to work on the 3rd.
    Perhaps next weekend? Saturday would be better assuming the Browns make the playoffs!

Dude- I'm on the crack. I thought the 3rd was Saturday, I've been trying to figure out what next weekend meant if you had to work. (I usually have to work Fridays so I'm all confused)

The 4th (Saturday) works for me- how about meet at 11 for joe, takeoff @1130? Weather.com says 48F. Where is that good coffee place you were talking about?

The radiator was replaced, oil leak resolved, and they tell me it's not going to die when it's cold out anymore.

Cool!! Let's ride Saturday.
    I think you're in Aurora and the Diedrich's,(w/ the good coffee) is in Highlands Ranch. From C-470, exit University SOUTH. Travel approx. 1 1/4 miles, pass Highlands Ranch Pkwy,(which then turns into Colorado-so don't get confused) and Diedrich's coffee is in the same shopping center as Whole Foods grociery.

Check this site AM Saturday just in case............
    Otherwise, I'll see you @ 11am for an 11:30 departure.

BTW, I picked up a dual timer the other day. One for counting down 24 hrs & the other for pit stops. I do however need a screaming meanie and some truck stops sell them, so perhaps we can stop in a truck stop while out riding.
    Harry

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Better get a move on..............

FYI,

I e-mailed Stephen Chalmers, the main dude with the 1088. This is what he wrote back:

JEFF:

I still have two spots remaining for the 2003 rally. . .

The route is given out the morning of the rally, not before, so I
    cannot honor that request.

As for additional information about our event, I would suggest that
    you go to UTAH1088.com or IRONBUTT.com and read some of
    the stories about our event.

Thankd for your interest in our event, and have a great holiday.

Steve
    I'm not signing up for this one this year ...... for that matter I'm not sure what's going on on this end as far as riding in the next year.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Thanks for checking that out- holy crap!

Hey Harry- see you sat- I'm sticking the application in the mail tonight... hope you can too.

Mike

Hoy Crap indeed!!!!!! *%#!!@

I'll see you Saturday & let you know where I'm @ $$$

Harry- how do you feel about running through a tank or two tomorrow- can the wing handle it? I'd rather stay out of the mountains since it wasn't that great up there today. North, south, east... whatever.

mike,
    i got an invite via pm to hook up with jeff in Morrison @TNT for a 1000 b-fast followed by some riding. originally, we (i.e. harry, myself, and you) were meeting at 1100 in Highlands Ranch (read: Diedrick's) and heading out for points to the south like Peublo (read:RoadGear). i don't think these plans have changed but then again there is jeff's invite. maybe could all meet at Bishop's Castle..... i went to a few truckstops and got his "Screaming Meanie" today so the visit to Pilot down in Peublo isn't necessary....
    ride, ride, ride>>>> henry

Mike,
    I think I'll be ok for a decent putt, but 2 tanks is 400 miles @ least!! Assuming we were to go that long you'd better plan on a 6 hour ride.

I'd be up for pretty much anywhere, but I think heading South will be less windy. I'll check this site in the AM and if no changes I'll see you @ the planned mtg. spot @ 11am.

Henry,
    Thanks for gettin the Meanie! You might as well have some fun now that you got the sticky rubber. I still don't want to push my shoulder thus will be going straight vs the twist. I must say that @ 1st I thought you were going for a 1K vs a 10am breakfast. Almost exciting
    Also, let me kow what your plans are too as I think I may take the dresser if you ride early, otherwise I'll be on the "wasp" so as to get a good feel for the cruise control. Sorry I did not get back to you tonight. I was busy watching The Ohio State Buckeye's win it all!!!!! & figured it'd be past your bed time afterwards.

I have a breakfast thing tomorrow early and I'll make TNT for a hangout if I can but I will be in the Ranch at 11.

Harry- I pretty much just want to put some miles on my seat- it's aftermarket and I need to test it for a few hours. Time/distance is all relative- we'll see how it goes. I'm game to go wherever (south works for me, I'm going north on Sunday) but I prefer not taking I-25 the whole way. I'll dig around for my map- I'm a visual person.