Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Utah 1088

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Biker
    Disco, you're getting a cell I see. COOL. I thought I could put off getting the larger tank as for this 1st year of playing w/ the big boys, I thought I'd be limited by my friends range's. If you're going 500 miles, I need the bigger tank sooner than later!!

That being said, I'll need to delay the pick up of the sled.
    I'm not 100% clear if that's what I'll be doing yet. I'll think about it for an hour or so.

Just check this site in the AM, or I'll call you.
    What's the latest you can be out before you're going w/ the 650 boys?
    Harry if he can't, I will have most of my saturday open I think. Also if you're not up to ride and don't mind someone else behind the bars, I can ferry it for ya too if you can manage a cage...

Harry- the cell happens after I get GPS, CB, (better) windshield, and monster tail rack but before I get aluminum bags . I may or may not be able to get it before the ride. Plus, if you can manage 250/tank on your GS I can hang with that- we'll have a bunch of different stops anyway. Don't get/not get a bike just for the 1088. And if cells are only $90 then why not get one instead of a big tank?

As for Saturday, I can play until 2ish.
    Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.

Ralph, you the man!,(even though you flipped me off) :P

Here's what I'd like to do... my rack broke on the big boy can one of you meet me @ Rky Mtn HD as I'd drop off me scoot to get her fixed & then catch a ride to FootHills? Keep in mind I'm not certain the bike'll be ready for me to pick up, but it should be,(I opted to hold off on the larger tank until next year-when I start kickin arse & takin names in the endurance events)

Disco, GPS is huge!! Just read an interesting article on Garmin Street Pilot 3 and, well, I don't see how we could even compete without a set up like that. WOW factor!!! Course the price is also eye opening, but without it, would be like playing football with the other team on roids.

I'll also go with GPS, and then if needed a Russell Day Long before the larger tank,(I spooked myself re: leak potential and I found a 41 liter job that'll fit me GS) Also, I started thinking about what 500 mile range really means...... that's freakin far without gettin off the bike! Even riding from Denver to Green River approx 350 miles-which I could achieve with the Adventurer's tank is a long road. I can imagine doing that, but not much further.

So, I'll call Foothills @ 10am to check on the status & post shortly after that.

Alright, I could use a ride for any bro up for that,(GS is ready) I can be @ Rky Mtn HD ready for a pick up by 11:30-11:40.

Mike, I'll try you on your phone 1st. I need to run to the bank real quick for some Dead Presidents.

Ralph, care to test ride "The Ultimate Driving Experience"?

Disco,
    Can you pick me up a Poleroid camera from your friend for cheap and I'll pay you the diff. of the cabin?

I need it sooner than later as I need to take a pic of me arse on the GS for a Russell Day Long Saddle.

Good plan- I'll call him tonight. I don't know how long it'll take but it shouldn't be that bad.
    About the saddle thing... I'm thinking about hitting up a local auto place to do mine. I think I might ba able to get the magical closed-cell foam seat for ~$150 here which gives me more control over the final product, too. I found a wholesale supplier for the foam in town so I know it can be done- shouldn't be too hard to find someone... that way they wouldn't need a bicture of my rear- they can see it live and in color

I had a seat lowered for my wife so she could ride the XX in Englewood and they did a nice job. It's on Broadway. Just south of Hampden on the west side,(max of 1/2 mile from hampden). Don't recall the name though

I am #10! Time to talk about hotel and stuff...

I'm # 73

We need a GPS bad!! Either that or we just go for max mileage!!!
    Some of the bonii will only be given in latitude and longitude.

I've yet to read the rally packet info. Are they staying @ the Holiday Inn or where?

Yep- holiday inn. $55/night for 1-4 people flat rate, 24-7 bike security... cool. Still sick but getting better, Saturday is a maybe if I'm not feeling great yet, I've missed a ton of work.

I read it.
    I also read where riders can't share things like GPS's!!

So we reserve Friday night. Are you still thinking of the IB motel on Sunday?

I may be interested in riding over to SLC with you all if you want some company. I lived there from '85 to "91. There are a lot good roads over there that I would like to ride - I didn't have a bike when I was there before. I could do my exploring while you all are doing the 1088.

Works for me Gary. We'll be leaving early Friday I think it's the 26th.

Got my poleroid today! Wish I could say...got my GPS today. So many farkles to buy, so little $$

Friday is the 27th. We're totally going to miss the BBQ

You know what Disco? I'm totally ok w/ keeping them guessing about you & I. The way I see it, the little gathering is just an opportunity for the Big Dogs to size you up. Also, I'm not much for blowin smoke up someone's arse either like Eagan's!

Since we do not know the state nearly as well as other competitors that have done the base route before and since we are currently lacking in GPS's-I'm almost 100% convinced that we just need to take the longest route and hope it offers a large point option. Assuming you're in agreement with that, you'd better set you mind to running upwards of 1800 miles!!!

Let me know if you're going to add a cell. I think there's gonna be some big dawg butt kickin to be had

Disco, ya got yer ears on??

We have a room- non-smoking, double for 3 days at $55/day. The guy said ya gotta pay for Saturday- maybe we can sub-let it or maybe Gary needs some space...

hmmmmmmm. that seems very fishy to me!!!! Let's see. We get a Friday night lodging and could stay in it until say 11am. Only, we'll be out by 7am. We will not be back for the next 26 hours and we have to pay for that???????

I say F-ck him!!!!
    I need to think more about that, and I'm aware we'd have security for the bikes Friday night, but we're getting ripped!

Say Bro, seein as how it's only the two of us wanting to rally, no sense it tying up message board space. Let's switch this area to e-mail/not PM. I'll look for the status of our lodging situation in an e-mail from you ok?

Gary, we'll still leave Denver 6/27 if you're interested in heading to SLC with us.

Fool-
    Go kick some Iron butt ARSE!!!!!!

I'll buy you a steak w/ a top -5 finish!!

I'll take it rare, please

The Hellas are sweet- brighter than my headlight. Packing tonight, leaving at 0300. I will show them bitches what a touring bike is... My goal: top 20 and the highest ranking "little" bike.

Ummm, hold the steak. I came in at #36. I did win a moral victory by making the second checkpoint, which many of the veterans missed, after getting tricked by a lame bonus that had me running around a park full of people in full gear about 90 miles off of the main route. Basically, I had enough sense to blow off a bunch of bonus points and take the superslab at full-tilt to get ahead of the clock. After that I got what I could but didn't push too hard.

The numbaz:

101 paid entries
    86(ish) starters
    65 finishers

Top score: 21k+
    Low score: 1,615
    My score: 12,555k
    My mileage: ~1375 adjusted in 25 hours

Older, wiser, and sorer-of-the-butt-

Dysco