Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Utah 1088

ok, southbound on 83 (some nice open turns but visual variety...) to the springs, then jump onto 115. take 115 south to Florence, turn left at the first traffic light onto Hwy. 67, turn right onto Hwy 96 in Wetmore and at the next junction you will see signs for the BishopCastle. Turn left there onto Hwy. 165 and it's 12 miles.

mileage, visual variety, south-bound...... i'll drop by TNT for chat, then fuel up near the 'betta coffee' facility arriving abt 1100. i'll bring the 'meanies' (smoked or red; u pick). oh yea; batteries not included -- bring 9volts.

when i'm back to the yello subs, bedtime will revert to the 2130-2230. these days mrs hunt keeps me up late!!!!

chow
    henry

Ride On!! I'll be bringing your $$ & the timer

Hey Harry- here's that link.

http://www.motosportpanniers.com

I was checking out their soft bags- Not as cool as the hard ones, but half the price. Probably not a bad idea for the GS. Their bags also fit the DR...
    Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

How wuz it?

Good to see Henry @ the TNT in Morrison even though it was just for a bit. Did you all make it to the 'Castle"?
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

hello jeff,

the 3 of us (harry, mike, and I) made it to bishop's castle. it keeps getting bigger and bigger. the framework for the planetarium is in place. there were only a couple of places where the shadows were keeping the ice... we didn't find RoadGear down in Peublo; Mapquest strikes again!!!!

later,
    henry

So Henry...did you try the Screaming Meanie yet!??

meanie 110; file an epa statement!

about 9pm last night, i set it for 15min and left it in the garage... i went into the house to do other stuff that needed to get done. it surprised me when it went off. lights came on all around the neighborhood. it took about an hour for the local cainine population to calm down. i hate to think what the 220 unit would do.

tough day for those browns,
    henry

I'm sure your biker friendly neighbors loved that!

I know my neighbors were not loving me until 54 seconds left in the Browns game when as per usual they choked!!!

The 220 would most certainly cause hearing damage. I think we got our $ worth though.

Hey Harry- you may (or may not) want to check this out: http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/financial_promotions.jsp Something about all '02 BMWs at .9% interest and the first 5 months BMW makes your payment...

Well, I did check it out!!
    Might be a littel tough to find an '02 model that I want- 1150GSA-Ad. But, damn that's a nice deal. I wonder if they actually pay the 1st 5 months or just delay your payments.

Jeff states there's a new BMW dealership up North. I wouldn't mind checking that out too sometime.

When do you want to ride some dirt? Nothing single track just now, but near Devil's Head/Rampart Range we can ride for a good long time.

Good question- I'm all for playing in the dirt. Don't have too much experience doing it with an engine though...

Will the bridgestones I'm riding with now be ok? Haven't ridden in anything too loose on them but they seem OK. I'll have those superknobby Kendas in a couple weeks, but I'll be REALLY shy in the corners with the studs getting up there. I need about 5 sets of wheels...

When's good?

BTW- which 'up north' dealer are you talking about? There's a new (building) BMW/Ducati shop in FC dangerously close to Vern's (and his famous cinnamon rolls) in La Porte.

No word yet from the 1088 guys.

I think your stock tyres will do fine on a fire road.
    I made the mistake riding my stockers in Rampart Range-a place famous for weekend "life flights", but we won't be doing that kind of riding.

I'm only talking about flat dirt roads. You should however wear a sturdy pair of boots just in case.

Since I can't exercise a whole lot right now....cinnamon rolls might be the ticket! Yes that's the dealership. Have you checked it out?

Fire roads= good start. Thought you might be trying to challenge the dirt newbie

Haven't checked the new shop out yet- They do have fork boots for the GS for cheap. Was planning on going there Saturday with some friends. Interested?

Yes.
    Where/when are you meeting?

I'm still working on that- I'll let you know. mmmm, cinnamon rolls....

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Ft. Fun Shop

Dyscofool wrote:
    BTW- which 'up north' dealer are you talking about? There's a new (building) BMW/Ducati shop in FC dangerously close to Vern's (and his famous cinnamon rolls) in La Porte.
    The FC BMW shop is off either the Crossroads exit or the Airport exit on the west side of the highway. Both exits will get you there. The cinnamon rolls at Johnsons Corner (on the right going north prior to the shop are one click away from the one's @ Vern's. Worth the stop.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Re: meanie 110; file an epa statement!

Quote Originally Posted by towneh
    about 9pm last night, i set it for 15min and left it in the garage... i went into the house to do other stuff that needed to get done. it surprised me when it went off. lights came on all around the neighborhood. it took about an hour for the local cainine population to calm down. i hate to think what the 220 unit would do.

tough day for those browns,
    henry
    Nothing like an alarm that can cause bowel movements in the elderly...

I smell a cinnamon roll showdown!

hello ralph,

any word from Harris about the SuperTank for the Hawk? harry is looking locally for someone to spit his tank open for enlargement so that he can emulate the Exxon Valdez!!

like you i'm reluctant about making a one-day haul to SanD immediately followed by a 'day-that-will-rival-all-days' round of riding. i'm not exactly a senior citizen but i know that i wouldn't hold up very long under those tems...

later,
    henry

Hey Henry: Where did you get those O rings? I'd like to try one out. Wanna come up to the northland with us on Saturday?

Quote Originally Posted by towneh
    hello ralph,

any word from Harris about the SuperTank for the Hawk? harry is looking locally for someone to spit his tank open for enlargement so that he can emulate the Exxon Valdez!!

like you i'm reluctant about making a one-day haul to SanD immediately followed by a 'day-that-will-rival-all-days' round of riding. i'm not exactly a senior citizen but i know that i wouldn't hold up very long under those tems...

later,
    henry
    Yeah I got a reply back yesterday finally... The guy's response was "I don't know anything and can't help you". So, piss on them I guess, I don't know what happened to the tanks they were making but apparently they're gone now. And since they were rare to begin with, the chances of me finding a used one are nil. I could also buy a CF tank for what they wanted for those SP-2 ones, which I'm not gonna do ($1200 is a bit steep to carry some extra gas).

If I knew enough about CF/glass work I could probably fab one myself, not sure if I can learn enough by May to do it though. It's prolly not that hard to do, I'd just hate to do it wrong and get 5 gallons of fresh petrol on my lap for no good reason. We'll see ... I need to really think about this a little more. I'm debating maybe fashioning a metal fuel tank of sorts under the seat (it would be protected by the subframe that way and leaks would go out the back, hopefully NOT onto the hot exhaust) and just tying into the fuel supply line, since that's just a vacuum driven valve or something. I don't think it's gravity-fed but I need to read the shop manual and find out. *sigh*

Ralph- have you checked out fuel cells? They don't have to be that big and can generally strap onto your tail in a pinch. You might also be able to get/make a cheapo strong tail rack and put a cell on that. It would be MUCH easier than making one for under your seat. I'm certain you can have someone make one locally if others are too big. Also under your seat you'd need to install another fuel pump- on the tail you can get the whole gravity thing going.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyscofool
    Ralph- have you checked out fuel cells? They don't have to be that big and can generally strap onto your tail in a pinch. You might also be able to get/make a cheapo strong tail rack and put a cell on that. It would be MUCH easier than making one for under your seat. I'm certain you can have someone make one locally if others are too big. Also under your seat you'd need to install another fuel pump- on the tail you can get the whole gravity thing going.
    Considering that, fuel cells are also mucho $$. I guess I should clarify too, on my bike it's a one-piece seat so "under the seat" also means "under the tail" if I get the urge... Somehow I need to get at least a gallon and a half, if not two gallons of extra fuel though too.

A potentially unsafe, but semi-clever idea I had was to run a line from the bike's tank, into a tail mounted tank of some kind - so that filling the bike tank would wind up tricking down into the other one first. Then pull fuel from the tail-mounted one, thus creating a closed system without much mess on fillup. But that may be more trouble than it's worth. One thing I do NOT want to do is create more pressure in the feed line, since that can flood out the carbs. Alternatively I'm thinking, maybe have another tank or cell or whatever under the tail, but instead of blindly gravity feeding it put a petcock from the usual s'hawk tank on and let the vacuum pull it down. If it's truly a vacuum-valve operation, then a simple one-or-the-other air valve between the first tank and the cell in the back would switch the operation and whichever wasn't being used would close the flow, ya?

Dunno, just brainstorming. I already have my vacuum line for the petcock tee'd off from when I sync'd the carbs (that's a source of air), so that side of things is easy. Run some SS fuel line down the inside of the subframe under the tank and tee into the supply line, and then the only trick is keeping air out of the line. Wonder if I could close off the tank #2 line with another valve?

I'm not 100% sure how fuel cells work when tied in with the rest of your fuel supply, do they need to be messed with to start/stop the flow of fuel, or are they "live" the whole time and this just works?

Harry- is this it?