Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Utah 1088

Ralph- I've been researching fuel cells and aux gas tanks for a few months now. I've learned some interesting stuff but I won't have any practical knowledge until I install my own on the GS.

231 cubic inches is one gallon. That's a cube about 6"x6"x6.5"- not very big when you think about it.

Your unsafe, semi-clever idea isn't that practical. When you gassed up, your fuel would have to flow freely into the aux tank from the main tank. That's hard to do with fuel lines being the diameter they are. It takes most non-fuel pump cells an hour or more to fully drain 4 gallons into the main tank with normal fuel lines. You can get a bigger diameter fuel hose, but I'm not sure if it's meant to hold gas or not. I think this would also create trouble with venting considering that there will be expansion and gasses that want out that may create pressure on your gas line to the main tank, i.e. no fuel to the aux which goes to the carbs unless you make a vent hose. It would be easier than installing a new fuel cap.

Usually you keep a cell shut off until you're down to reserve when you're filling the main tank via gravity. The theory is that you don't want to overflow your main tank through its vent. The cell should have a vent hose too. I'm personally torn on how to connect mine. A commercially produced aux tank for my bike connects at the bottom of my plastic gas tank through a hole you drill in it. Holes in gas tanks make me nervous but with the fuel pump, you definately have to get the gas into the tank first.

Don't know if it's such a good plan to try to install a cell under the tail- there's not that much room, especially if you're putting luggage and stuff on the back, weighing it down. Are you looking for a permanent addition here? It may not be that easy. BUT I read about a guy who had a metal shop fab a cell for his goldwing out of aluminum. The key was welding baffles into it so the weight didn't shift around so quickly. His price was ~$250. You might be able to get someone to do that for you per your underseat specifications. Definately make sure that you can fit enough volume in there to make it worthwhile.

There's a cell for $50 at http://www.goracin.com/ in the clearance section. It's not pretty but it might give you an idea. Otherwise Summit Racing has a good selection of cells, fuel caps and stuff. http://store.summitracing.com/

My vote is still for a tacky box fuel cell on the passenger seat, mounted with quality straps or attached via a tail rack. Then you could just splice into your fuel line and install a valve. Then you could just go off of mileage to figure out when to switch. It's a hard call though since there's not so much room there.

Edited because I changed my mind about everything I had just posted...
    Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyscofool
    Hey Henry: Where did you get those O rings? I'd like to try one out. Wanna come up to the northland with us on Saturday?
    if you're talkin abt my cheap cruiz tool, i got them at Pep Boys! as for the Sat morning options for ridin', give me the time and place!!!
    later,
    henry

btw, that's some serious cantilever suspension components on the locomotive bike!

Well, my friends bailed so we could always meet at the good coffee place.
    Sometime around 10?

I'll meet you @ 10:30 for an 11am departure. Diedrich's. Cool.

Speaking of cool....plan for it. Latest report is a high of 40.

That's just cold enough to get unlimited test rides on the Beemers

That's the best evil plan I've come up with in days...

Eat a light breakfast, the cinnamon rolls will flow like water... or something.

Hey Navigator:

Vern's Place
    4120 W County Rd 54 G LA PORTE, CO 80535-9359

BMW/Ducati
    6002 Byrd Drive, Loveland, CO 80538 (888-504-6466- I'm not sure if this is the new address or not.)

Johnson's Corner
    2842 S E Frontage Rd LOVELAND, CO 80537-8739

I would like to hook up for the ride north with you all. Since I'm already far north (120th) I will probably find a wide spot on the shoulder and wait for you to come by.

I just came through Fort Collins Sunday night and noticed a new Honda shop on the east side of the freeway too.

Gary- I'm sure the Navigator will post the plan here. Hey Henry- I just volunteered you! I'll get a tank bag soon enough...

The more, the merrier! Anyone else up for checking out shops and scoring free Beemer rides?

Quote Originally Posted by Dyscofool
    Well, my friends bailed so we could always meet at the good coffee place.
    Sometime around 10?
    AND "I'll meet you @ 10:30 for an 11am departure. Diedrich's. Cool.
    "

i don't need to navigate; i'll go where the coffee is (Deid @1030 Sat) and follow there after. i'll bring one of the rubber o-rings for sampling/fitting.

--grin--
    henry

Sounds good Henry- I guess everything is within sniffing distance of 25. Shoudn't be too hard to manage. Hey Gary- want us to hop off 25 and meet you somewhere around 1120ish?

I'll bring a wrench to install that test O ring. I was also thinking about a short neoprene sleeve which would have enough bulk to roll of with huge glopves on... opinions?

I will find a wide spot on the shoulder and watch for you all. You don't need to pull over, I will catch up with you. If traffic is real bad and I can't make my way up to you, I will see you at Johnsons Corner for the cinnamon rolls.

Still on for tomorrow- bring long undies. Gary- you sure you can keep up with the GS on that 'Busa?

You'll have company. See you @ 10:30.

Harry- great news! I'm in the 1088 and they still have 2 spots left. Would you like me to reserve one for you? He asked me if I knew anyone.

Yes.

What exactly does that mean....you can reserve and delay my payment to them or what? I was planning on paying this week, but if I can delay it-that works for me.

So they have "2" spots left....ahem!

What our our departure dates again?? Are we taking off work 6/27 and 6/30?

On a side note......
    I need you help locating that Summit fuel cell. Have you seena pic of it and or know the dimensions? I think I need to get the cell asap because if Dan @ Rky Mtn can't install it correctly then I'm back to needing a longer range steed.

hello harry,

the following URL gives the list of fuel cells they distribute:

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...3D18%26s%3D104

maybe these would fit your needs...
    SUM-290203 Aluminum alloy, 8 in. x 8 in. x 15 in., 3 gallon, foam filled, fuel cell ... $108.95
    SUM-290204 Aluminum alloy, 12 in. x 10 in. x 8 in., 4 gallon, foam filled, fuel cell ... $115.95

later,
    henry

Harry- I just got a response back from Steve about that- He said that he'd "hold a spot open for you". I think this means that they're not getting a ton of entries this time of year since I didn't give him your name and he didn't ask. I'd still send it in this week if I were you.

Fuel cells: I'm partial to the 5 gallon plastic one with the grooves for strapping it down. If you get a bracket across those 2 grab rails, it should strap down nicely.

AHEM! as well...

This one is nice, too. You can get it powdercoated blue or red, too. http://store.summitracing.com/partde...57#largerimage Hope that link works for you...

Note the sump- it's not flat. Just SUMPin' to think about... I kill me.

Mike, Can you forward me Steve's e-mail?

Alrighty, ink jet down @
    home so the check will go out in the AM from work.

Mike, when are we leaving? We should make the bar-b on the 27th right? I took the 27th and 30th off.
    also, we need reservations for the 27th and 29th right?
    Don't forget your poleroid.

Are you going to have a GPS?
    We should discuss some strategies...soon.

Strategy meeting Saturday or Sunday evening (if we end up not riding)? Apparently no one here is going to use the last slot they have open. Do you have a Polaroid already? I have a friend with super-camera-discount powers.

HA HA HA.
    nope. I could use a discount. I'm all for a strategy planning session after a ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So...when can you ride? Can you get me to Foothills?

I can get you to Foothills if you don't mind feeling the bottom end of my suspension- no problem.

Disco, you're getting a cell I see. COOL. I thought I could put off getting the larger tank as for this 1st year of playing w/ the big boys, I thought I'd be limited by my friends range's. If you're going 500 miles, I need the bigger tank sooner than later!!

That being said, I'll need to delay the pick up of the sled.
    I'm not 100% clear if that's what I'll be doing yet. I'll think about it for an hour or so.

Just check this site in the AM, or I'll call you.
    What's the latest you can be out before you're going w/ the 650 boys?