Thread: Ducati Super Sport Riders! Have a few ?'s!

Ducati Super Sport Riders! Have a few ?'s!

Not sure if this is the right section or not, but couldn't really think of anywhere else to post this lol. Anyhow, after a huge pain in the ass and almost 9 weeks later, my stolen GSXR 1000 has finally been taken care of by insurance.. Now comes the hopefully fun part of picking up a new 2 wheel toy! I'm currious to hear from the SS Duc riders on their opinion on the 1098/1198/999 chassis bikes as far as comfort (or lack there of) for long days of riding, repair and preventitive costs, etc. I'm just not all that familiar with the brand and most people dont just hand you the keys to their Italian exotic every day lol! I have been looking a lot into the 07/08 1098's lately and I have even found a few locally at a price that is resonable and I am seriously considering picking up, in my opinion, one of the best looking bikes of all time, pretty much my dream bike if I can find one in red.. I do tend to put quite a few miles on my bikes because I feel your supposed to enjoy the things we all work hard for, so is the maintenence truely as bad as it seems that most folks say it is? I'm positive I can handle most or all of the small stuff like oil changes etc, and I'm sure with the correct tools could tackle almost anything myself, just want to know how these are holding up with the mileage? Also, it seems to be fairly common for people to say that they are super uncomfortable and are not a bike that you would want to be on all day, but most of these people also do not own Ducati's so thats always taken with a grain of salt lol. I'm pretty tall @ 6'4" so where the ergos on some bikes make riders feel uncomfortable, I usually dont have a problem, perks of long arms I suppose. In the end I guess I'm just looking for opinions on these overall by actual Duc owners, and if you all have had any horror stories along the road please chime in! Thanks in advance, sorry for the short story!!
    -Mick-
    1990 White/Black Eagle Talon TSi: The "Caged" cage.. 792hp/623tq- 9.98@144.77mph
    2008 Yamaha R1 Raven: 10.7@134 - DNA race air filter, Gutted cats and modded factory cans, -2 front sprocket!
    2007 Yellow/Grey GSXR1000: 11.24@143.4mph- Stolen... Me sad panda...

Re: Ducati Super Sport Riders! Have a few ?'s!

I've got a 2011 1198 best bike I have ever ridden its been good to me just dont get it serviced by the dealers take it down to mad moto. They need a major service every 8000 miles which is belts replaced and valve adjust erico quoted me 1500$ for the service but mad moto will do it for 600$ . I hear a lot of peple complain of the ergos but as you said they usually dont even own one its no sport tourer but I did a 3 day trip on mine about 1800 miles and it wasn't too bad. The 2007 models had a lot of recalls so if you pick one up make sure all recall issues were taken care of you won't be sorry if you pick one up there really is something special about these bikes once you ride one you will know what I mean hope this helps good luck

Ducati is one of the few if not only dealers that let you test ride. why not just go ride one for a bit?

I have a 09' 1198 (that I might be putting up for sale actually) It's a absolutely gorgeous bike and I love the power of the twin. I'll be honest, it is not the most comfortable bike (for me) and the other down side is the range. If you plan on doing long trips you had better map out every gas station on your route. My fuel light comes on at about 80 miles. Of course it is a Ducati so everything is going to cost you a little extra but not like the old days. They are much better on the wallet now then they were 10 years ago.

// MRA #888 //
    Current Bikes: 2007 Triumph 675 (race) : 2009 Ducati 1198 : 2004 Yamaha YZ250F : 2011 Ducati 796 Monster (wifes)

I know Foothills BMW will let you test ride the bikes they have there. Never heard of a Ducati dealer that did that? Do you know what dealership in town will do that?
    -Mick-
    1990 White/Black Eagle Talon TSi: The "Caged" cage.. 792hp/623tq- 9.98@144.77mph
    2008 Yamaha R1 Raven: 10.7@134 - DNA race air filter, Gutted cats and modded factory cans, -2 front sprocket!

I've got a little older bike than those guys. 2001 996bipost . Don't let northern colorodo euro motorsport work on your bike. Boulder motor sport builds ducts only. They do good work. And graffite- I get 40mpg+ you need to get yours checked and dynoed. Ergos aren't as good as a vfr but you can make it work if your used to a gsxr. Its not the raw power like the top end of a jap bike its way more control able and lower in the rpms .
    No Matter Where You Go, There You Are.

Quote Originally Posted by sumthin_major View Post
    I get 40mpg+ you need to get yours checked and dynoed.
    Keep in mind a lot of that has to do with how you ride it.
    E.G. Buddy's RSV1000R. Same day, 2 tanks of fuel. I rode the piss out of it and returned 32 MPG. I then rode the same route being nice and gentle, riding like my Grandma was on the back, and returned 42 MPG.
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

I really like mine. I agree with the others who say to test ride one.

Only real beef I have with it is the mirrors, which are not effective. A bit cold blooded, but once she is running she is a lot of fun. Once I changed out the stock mufflers for Termis, the inner thigh burns started to go away. It does like 80+ mph, and around town tends to run quite hot.
    Drama is a poor substitute for adventure. (c)2011

Even when i was hard on mine all day up to walden and back i stiil got 32+ or atleast 120miles on a tank. Now that its tuned i get 160+ (but just barley) per tank commuting and 130+ on a fun day. Either way 80miles a tank is 20mpg. (Sumthing is wrong )

a part of hell where its always warm and the roads are to die for

im pro everthing i love duc's suzuki honda and all but remember when you get in to an italian you get in to a very high maint relation ship. valve job and maint on on is depend on your riding style if i took it easy i could go 10k on testa motor if i road her hard 3-4k
    comfort ... k7 is one of the most comfortable bikes i have ever road in the sport bike class. and i like the maint and power of the jap bike... if you really want to look at a killer bike go check out the new fireblade.

Quote Originally Posted by Fumet5uNo View Post
    im pro everthing i love duc's suzuki honda and all but remember when you get in to an italian you get in to a very high maint relation ship. valve job and maint on on is depend on your riding style if i took it easy i could go 10k on testa motor if i road her hard 3-4k
    comfort ... k7 is one of the most comfortable bikes i have ever road in the sport bike class. and i like the maint and power of the jap bike... if you really want to look at a killer bike go check out the new fireblade.
    PS older duc's can be nightmares if you dont have proof of good maint

Quote Originally Posted by Fumet5uNo View Post
    PS older duc's can be nightmares if you dont have proof of good maint

So true. They can be a nighmare with it too.

Quote Originally Posted by sumthin_major View Post
    Even when i was hard on mine all day up to walden and back i stiil got 32+ or atleast 120miles on a tank. Now that its tuned i get 160+ (but just barley) per tank commuting and 130+ on a fun day. Either way 80miles a tank is 20mpg. (Sumthing is wrong )

Nothing wrong with the bike. Do a search, most people with 1198's are getting about the same. A few are getting a little better but not many.
    The tank on the 1198 is only 4.1 gallons. 80 miles is when the light comes on, not empty tank. I have pushed it to 115 but that was cutting it real close to walking the bike I think.
    Bottom line, 80-100 miles goes by quick when you are up in the mountains so you better know where the gas stations are!

// MRA #888 //
    Current Bikes: 2007 Triumph 675 (race) : 2009 Ducati 1198 : 2004 Yamaha YZ250F : 2011 Ducati 796 Monster (wifes)

Thanks for the heads up on the fuel mileage! I think you all have just further cemented my idea of getting one of these. There is a bad ass yellow 07 for sale right now that has all the work history, just had the 10k service, termies, levers, and so on for a killer deal.. Now only if the damn thing was red! I like the yellow, but to me the best looking ducs are dressed in red. Something about that color just sets them off!
    -Mick-

Quote Originally Posted by MilkMan View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on the fuel mileage! I think you all have just further cemented my idea of getting one of these. There is a bad ass yellow 07 for sale right now that has all the work history, just had the 10k service, termies, levers, and so on for a killer deal.. Now only if the damn thing was red! I like the yellow, but to me the best looking ducs are dressed in red. Something about that color just sets them off!
    -Mick-

If that doesn't work out for you let me know. I've been thinking real serious about putting mine up for sale. I just don't have time to ride (3 little kids) and when I do I prefer to race/track my Triumph. It's red 09' with 2k miles.

// MRA #888 //

only thing i will end with is make sure to take to DUCATI for service stay away from the jokes of private shops out here in CO faymyers is out standing on ducs

I've a '11 1098 Streetfighter and I was on an '08 Kawi Ninja 1000 before that. I like the Duc better and can ride it much longer, more comfortably than the Kawi. I get it taken care of at FM and I've nothing but good things to say about them (bought both bikes there). And I get about 170 to the tank...
    Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.