Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would make Super Street better?

What would make Super Street better?

I think all you Season 3 Super Street racers did a great job out there. I was part of the first season of Super Street and it defiantly has come a long way since 2010. The fact you guys can fill a grid for 3 straight rounds was really impressive.

Now that the race season is over...
    How well do you think the MRA did with Super Street?
    What things do you think the MRA can do better?

A few ideas have been mentioned in the MRA meetings.

Like some form of lap timing. Would it be cool to have a printed sheet with the lap times of your race. It would require a new scoring system, but that is being looked at.

The idea has come up of some form of mentorship to help get racers to the track with everything they need. Maybe pit with MRA racer who can answer your questions about what it takes to get to the next level.

What do you racers think?

MRA Racer No.427

Re: What would make Super Street better?

Lap timing would be awesome!! It would be especially nice to know if you are on par with the Novice guys or if you would be getting lapped by them. That extra piece of knowledge would make the jump to licensing easier. I think if SS racers knew they were lapping in the top 10 of the Novice group, there would be absolutely no hesitation to make the jump.

Also, one of the things Slo brought up is that the SS guys usually come in late Saturday after everyone is already set up, so they end up pitting way in the back away from most of the regular racers. It would be cool if there could be a roped off reserved area for SS racers in the middle of the pits so they would be in and around all the regular racers. That way, they can get mentoring, meet many of the other competitors, ask questions of the more experienced people, etc. It is nice being around other SS riders since we all need to be doing the same things at the same time, but it would be even better if we were by other SS riders and in the middle of the experienced guys.
    www.cocsba.com

'00 ZX12R
    '03 SV1000

You make a good point that since you guys come in later on a Saturday you are missing out on the good pit spots.

Our team typically has a car port at HPR. We have from time to time a SS pit with us, we just needed to know ahead of time so we didn't fill it with someone else.

I think it's a good idea and see if we can set up some sort of "Pit with a Racer" program where spots for SS will be open for you guys to setup in.

MRA Racer No.427

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jbnwc View Post
    Also, one of the things Slo brought up is that the SS guys usually come in late Saturday after everyone is already set up, so they end up pitting way in the back away from most of the regular racers. It would be cool if there could be a roped off reserved area for SS racers in the middle of the pits so they would be in and around all the regular racers. That way, they can get mentoring, meet many of the other competitors, ask questions of the more experienced people, etc. It is nice being around other SS riders since we all need to be doing the same things at the same time, but it would be even better if we were by other SS riders and in the middle of the experienced guys.
    I was going to bring that up at the last MRA meeting when we were talking about SS for 30 minutes. But I think more people would be inclined to get a license if you didn't feel like you were isolated in the back. I'm lucky in that I've been around the club for a while and have made some great friends in the paddock, so it's an easy transition for me knowing everyone that I do. But being pitted in the back doesn't mean you can't go up to any one of us and ask questions, or just hang out. Everyone is willing to help everyone out, especially when it comes to new guys.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Definitely more crashes. Like NASCAR. Or a destruction derby.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

So far I think the MRA is doing a good job with the SS class. I had a great time this weekend at PPIR. The round at HPR with the 37 riders was a little less enjoyable due to all the wrecks.

I think having SS rides get there earlier, go to the riders meeting in the morning. Team up with their instructor there and just observe their instructor during a race day. You would get to ask questions during the day and see what goes into a full race day.

I think the purpose behind this class to get people to license up and start racing. With more experience during a race day I think people would be more comfortable with licensing up and starting to race.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    Definitely more crashes. Like NASCAR. Or a destruction derby.
    You should have been watching Novice GTU and GTO this season. They were putting on a much better show in that regard...

Quote Originally Posted by VryfastRR View Post
    So far I think the MRA is doing a good job with the SS class. I had a great time this weekend at PPIR. The round at HPR with the 37 riders was a little less enjoyable due to all the wrecks.

I think having SS rides get there earlier, go to the riders meeting in the morning. Team up with their instructor there and just observe their instructor during a race day. You would get to ask questions during the day and see what goes into a full race day.

I think the purpose behind this class to get people to license up and start racing. With more experience during a race day I think people would be more comfortable with licensing up and starting to race.
    I like the idea of giving the SS guys a full race day experience. It does make more sense to have you guys part of the Rider Meeting in the morning. That information is just as important for everyone who gets on that track.
    Last edited by Snowman; Tue Sep 18th, 2012 at 08:51 AM.

MRA Racer No.427

Superstreet scholarships for those that actually have the gear and bike to go out instead of those free voucher that just get sold by people. Or get more corner workers by giving a SS voucher as an extra payment for working. That will allow SS riders to see the track more, learn from watching then help out on the budget side too. Either way, the voucher system now seems kind of flawed. I ended up with 4-5 of them, only wanted to use 2 (just because I would love to give the MRA money) and gave the rest away.
    MRA Expert #880 - 2015 AmateurGTO Champion, 2013 NoviceGTU Champion
    2006 YZF-R6 Race "No name" - 2005 YZF-R6 Street "Aurora"
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Text: (72O) 432-7236

You know you have it bad when you are willing to work a corner for it...

I do think the voucher will be different next season. They were being used to generate interest and get the word out there about SS. After filling a 37 bike grid, you guys defiantly are getting the word out there.

There was another idea in that MRA meeting about adding a SS race on Sunday. How much interest would their be in that idea?

MRA Racer No.427

A sunday race would be sweet.

Hey Sunday would work much better given the most people are off on Sundays

Yeah I have had a couple of discussions with TBaker with some suggestions for SS riders.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    Yeah I have had a couple of discussions with TBaker with some suggestions for SS riders.
    What we were talking about that Saturday were hell of ideas. Hopefully they'll implement them

These are all great suggestions. I have sent our New Rider Director, Jeff Brown, the link to this thread so he can follow it.

The issue with running Super Street on Sunday is that your instructors are all volunteers and many are gone by the end of the race day on Sundays. We could be faced with not having enough instructors.

We have discussed cordoning off a specific pit area at the tracks where SS riders could pit together. It will be something that we continue to discuss this off-season.

As far as lap timing goes, Super Street participants are able to run their own laptimers. You can purchase the basic XT Racing laptimer for a couple hundred bucks now. There are also plenty of GPS apps available for Iphones and Androids. The problem with providing an AMB transponder to SS participants is that we don't have enough rentals to cover everyone, not to mention that it would cost an additional $50.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Easily distracted by shiny objects and bouncy things jplracing's Avatar

Guys

I like the idea of the conversation to improve SS in some ways.

However, keep one thing in mind. The idea of SuperStreet was originally presented in a effort to allow street riders a easier path or conduit to try racing and get a license. Kind of like try it before you buy it.

It just seems to me that the focus should be on having more SS riders make the switch to being racers than making SS a "event"

Just my $.02

www.rebellionmotorsports.com

Grant_me_revs personal snake catcher!!

Its all a numbers game, how many people we talk to out in town about SS will get us more riders. The more SS riders, the more will switch, by helping the current SS riders feel more welcome rather than outcasts, the more that "may" make the switch.

There are those also that will never make the switch, they are content with their streetbikes....or just spending 100 bucks to have a mock race.

There are also other ways to welcome SS Riders...which I have passed onto others.

The top 10-15 riders have no issues coming back, the question also remains on how we get that first timer that came in last couple of places..... That guy that felt he got in over his head to come back. There are solutions to this as well I have discussed.

Its all a numbers game, how many people we talk to out in town about SS will get us more riders. The more SS riders, the more will switch, by helping the current SS riders feel more welcome rather than outcasts, the more that "may" make the switch.

There are those also that will never make the switch, they are content with their streetbikes....or just spending 100 bucks to have a mock race.

There are also other ways to welcome SS Riders...which I have passed onto others.

The top 10-15 riders have no issues coming back, the question also remains on how we get that first timer that came in last couple of places..... That guy that felt he got in over his head to come back. There are solutions to this as well I have discussed.
    Have you discussed all of this with Jeff Brown?
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Unfortunately not, but I did send a couple of emails to TBaker with some good responses back from him. Guess I should forward on to JBrown a couple of ideas that I have....things that have been discussed with a few SS Riders also.

I am still relatively new, so it's easy for me to try and understand and remember what some of them may feel. Things that some may not mention publicly but we all know it happens. I am all about helping out the new guys/gals.

Will send off ideas to JB

Unfortunately not, but I did send a couple of emails to TBaker with some good responses back from him. Guess I should forward on to JBrown a couple of ideas that I have....things that have been discussed with a few SS Riders also.

I am still relatively new, so it's easy for me to try and understand and remember what some of them may feel. Things that some may not mention publicly but we all know it happens. I am all about helping out the new guys/gals.

Will send off ideas to JB
    jbrown@hydroresources.com
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Easily distracted by shiny objects and bouncy things jplracing's Avatar

SLO

This is exactly my point when I say how are we going to convert these guys to actual racers and not SS riders.

I remember being a newb and how intimidating the MRA was. However, I am not a introverted person. I wandered around the pits every chance I got, I asked questions, and most importantly I made some life long friends. In fact I do still do this.

If the intimidation factor is the "true problem" (or at least a major problem) I feel that is a easy solution to fix. Hell I have taken a number of beginning novices under my wing. As a result we all enjoy racing, remain friends and teach them how to do this over the long term rather than max out credit cards there first year and be done.

However, I suspect that the intimidation factor isn't the one and only issue preventing the "switch". To an extent it takes somebody that is motivated to try and to learn. That isn't something we can create in a internet discussion, however for the people that "want" to race (not just SS) it is possible to do it easily, on a budget, and have a ton of fun. I think the question should be "how do we show people how to do that"?

I have tried to run clinics, adopt novices etc...and they have all seemed to work at some level but I think the answer is how do we communicate that to the SS riders so they will try

www.rebellionmotorsports.com

Grant_me_revs personal snake catcher!!

Quote Originally Posted by jplracing View Post
    Guys

I like the idea of the conversation to improve SS in some ways.

However, keep one thing in mind. The idea of SuperStreet was originally presented in a effort to allow street riders a easier path or conduit to try racing and get a license. Kind of like try it before you buy it.

It just seems to me that the focus should be on having more SS riders make the switch to being racers than making SS a "event"

Just my $.02
    With this in mind. How many here are interested enough to move to Novice status?

I know the main issue of course is money. Every racer on every track there is has this problem. But looking at you're own personal situation, what's that big thing holding you back?

MRA Racer No.427

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    With this in mind. How many here are interested enough to move to Novice status?
    Pick me! Pick me!! Oh wait....
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

As said, we need to find a way to "convert" the SS riders over to racers. Not sure how many actually switched this year? I know when I did the SS class at the begining of last year it was just a stepping stone to get my race license. I did my 2 classes and got my license right away.
    The biggest problem I see is I think a lot of SS riders see this as being ther own little race series and are content with doing SS every round.
    We seem to have no issue in filling up the SS grid so maybe a limit on how many times you can run SS during a year would be appropriate? Say 3 times in SS and you have to move up?(unless deemed not ready by rider director)
    I know there are many riders who have done many more then that but will never move on to get there license and race. You may lose a few of those people but like I said there seems to be no shortage of SS riders so I don't think we would have issue filling the grid every round.

/

// MRA #888 //
    Current Bikes: 2007 Triumph 675 (race) : 2009 Ducati 1198 : 2004 Yamaha YZ250F : 2011 Ducati 796 Monster (wifes)

$$$ for me lol if that wasn't a problem I would live at the track lol