Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What would make Super Street better?

Re: What would make Super Street better?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    With this in mind. How many here are interested enough to move to Novice status?
    I did every superstreet this year and the current plan is to move to Novice at the start of next season.
    MRA Expert #880 - 2015 AmateurGTO Champion, 2013 NoviceGTU Champion
    2006 YZF-R6 Race "No name" - 2005 YZF-R6 Street "Aurora"
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Text: (72O) 432-7236

Quote Originally Posted by WolFeYeZ View Post
    I did every superstreet this year and the current plan is to move to Novice at the start of next season.
    What's the hardest thing in your view to move to Novice?

MRA Racer No.427

What's the hardest thing in your view to move to Novice?
    Bike prep... the time and cash. Going from just changing out coolant to having to safety wire, get case covers, get race plastics, do all the work and get some tire warmers. My plan is to buy a pre-prepped bike. Saved up all summer for next season's bike.
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Quote Originally Posted by WolFeYeZ View Post
    Are you planning on attending race school next year?

In the past I believe the rule is you can ask to move up and get your license after 2 SS events ... in the current season. Since you did not get your license this year I believe you are going to have to attend race school or go to another 2 SS events next year before you can get your license to race.

// MRA #888 //
    Current Bikes: 2007 Triumph 675 (race) : 2009 Ducati 1198 : 2004 Yamaha YZ250F : 2011 Ducati 796 Monster (wifes)

Quote Originally Posted by Graphite675 View Post
    Are you planning on attending race school next year?

In the past I believe the rule is you can ask to move up and get your license after 2 SS events ... in the current season. Since you did not get your license this year I believe you are going to have to attend race school or go to another 2 SS events next year before you can get your license to race.

I heard that doing the last 2 SS will count, but possibly not because I did crash on the last one. Picked it up and still got 4th though *shrugs*. I would not mind doing the race school though as I am always down for learning something more.

Easily distracted by shiny objects and bouncy things jplracing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    $$$ for me lol if that wasn't a problem I would live at the track lol

Mad-

$ is always going to be an issue. I don't know what your bike situation is but if you consider the following it might be easier to get your head around

1 HPR track day (summer hours) = $150.00 ($100 for half day)

1 MRA endurance race (2012 pricing) = $80.00 you get three sessions of practice and one 30 minute race.

1 MRA SS Class = $100 ( I think)

I would venture to say that the amount of track time racing endurance is a lot more than in the SS class and is $20 cheaper and it possibly would be more than a full TD at HPR based on the time spent sitting around shooting the shit etc... Over a full season that $20 savings covers your race license. So the reality is if you did race (and assuming you only did endurance) you would have 7 "days" at roughly the same price as 7 track days or 7 SS classes.

Now I totally understand that tires, travel, etc need to be added to the expense. However if you are doing a number of track days it is about the same expense over all.

If you decide to run a bunch of sprints in addition it kind of tosses my expense analysis out the window..but you get the point

Madvlad - thanks for taking the bait that Randell is tossing out as I think this is a important topic to discuss. Yes it is possible to spend $20k a year doing this, but on the other side it is possible to do it on a serious budget and I don't think that is discussed enough
    Last edited by jplracing; Tue Sep 18th, 2012 at 01:53 PM.

www.rebellionmotorsports.com

Grant_me_revs personal snake catcher!!

I can tell you what I paid to get into Novice.

I bought a used race prepped SV650, no bodywork, just a pan for $2,200. I ran street Power Pures (one set for the entire season $380.00), no tire warmers, a rear stand ($100.00). Use set of leathers ($600.00). I did have a 91 S-10 to haul it all with and won a helmet at a bike night, that helped.

This is what I raced SS with in 2010. Ran the first 2 races, picked up my Novice License and been building from there. Was I competitive? Hell no, But I was out there.

Since then I have moved to a 03 CBR600RR ($3500.000) added tire warmers ($320.00), open trailer ($800.00). Etc...

It's a building process. You don't have to have the full AMA race kit to get started. But there is a minimum level you do need to know to get from a SS grid to a Novice one. This is where people like Brownie and myself and others are more than willing to help.

Wicky was able to go from SS to Novice this last race. Just ask him what it took.
    Last edited by Snowman; Tue Sep 18th, 2012 at 02:24 PM.

MRA Racer No.427

A Sunday Race...

Learning the hard way, I would recommend buying a cheap Jap 600 to get started on. No emotional attachment, no back-ordered parts, no insanely expensive parts.... Riding afraid (financial consequences of crashes) slows you down and ruined me this last season. Pretty ashamed of myself...

Moving on in October, it's been a blast but it's time to move. I likely won't be back to CO in a decade if ever .
    Last edited by TransNone13; Tue Sep 18th, 2012 at 02:30 PM.

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Wicky was able to go from SS to Novice this last race. Just ask him what it took.
    My good looks! Duh!

Honestly, money was the big issue for me to move up. My ex and I shared money, bills, etc... so all the money that I would have had to race was tied up in other things. Now I have the money to do it, it was just a push that I needed to commit. It'll still be hard to do financially, but I'm committed to making it work, so going out all the time isn't an option for me any longer. It's a small sacrifice for the big picture.

This past weekend I had a lot of help from a lot of people to make it happen. Friday morning I checked my account and I didn't have the money I thought I would so I scratched the weekend off. But the friends I've made through the MRA stepped up big time and helped me out and I'll never forget what they've done for me.

Over the off season I'm going to refresh the motor (it has 33k miles on it), refresh the forks and get an aftermarket rear shock along with a couple other things. I'm putting a hitch on my Subaru and getting a cheap trailer to haul the bike on. I'll probably just be buying take offs, so that'll make it a little cheaper on the pocket book when it comes to tires.

I'll only be doing a couple classes since I'll be on the R1, and there aren't too many options for a novice on a 1000, but it'll keep the cost down by $40 or so for race entries. I'd rather start on an R6, but the money I'd have to save to get it, would be money I'd need to save for the season since I don't do credit cards or want to race check to check. With that said, I finished 4th in the Novice GTO class this past round in my first real race ever, so I think I'll be able to do fairly well, especially with my goal of top 10 for that class and Amateur GTO. I'm also getting adopted by Rybo for next season, so I'll have plenty of instruction and help when I need it.

So to make my novel into a paragraph, just make the commitment. Everything will fall into place if you let it, and commit to making it happen. Rely on your friends to help you through and not give up on your dream, if that's what you want, even if it's just for 1 year to say you did it.
    Last edited by Mother Goose; Tue Sep 18th, 2012 at 02:55 PM.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

With this in mind. How many here are interested enough to move to Novice status?

I know the main issue of course is money. Every racer on every track there is has this problem. But looking at you're own personal situation, what's that big thing holding you back?
    I did just 1 SS this year for shiggles because I didn't license up in the spring. I wanted to enter nov u this season but the funds never happened over winter. I plan on it next season.

The initial cost is the #1 factor. Generator, warmers, tires, transponder, after market case covers, the race license itself

I'm halfway there in that I have some shitty track plastics and some safety wiring done. But the other things listed above are one big heap that really adds up when you switch from laps to racing

I plan to continue cornerworking to subsidize some of the cost as it's happening next year. I only plan to run on HPR anyway, so the hard parts are the most hurtful expense for me

Also, SuperStreet is a great way to get people out to the track and get them hooked. It wasn't a big shock to me because I've been out there a bit and i've been corner working, but the feeling during the race itself was a lot different from any lapping day I've ever done.

If guys are finding themselves doing more than 2 superstreets, it's time to consider a license next year for sure. It's great as an intro, but over the long haul it might be better for guys to do 1 or 2, and do lapping days for the rest since your money gets more time on open days than SS

Do laps the Friday before a race weekend. Meet the racers to get tips. Pay attention when you get passed. That's a great time to learn
    Last edited by tecknojoe; Tue Sep 18th, 2012 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    Also, SuperStreet is a great way to get people out to the track and get them hooked. It wasn't a big shock to me because I've been out there a bit and i've been corner working, but the feeling during the race itself was a lot different from any lapping day I've ever done.

If guys are finding themselves doing more than 2 superstreets, it's time to consider a license next year for sure. It's great as an intro, but over the long haul it might be better for guys to do 1 or 2, and do lapping days for the rest since your money gets more time on open days than SS
    You can't save that up over winter? GB Racing covers for both sides are $150 to $199. Island Racing Services sells sets of pures w/ 1 front 2 rears for $480, I got my CapiTs for $300, just sweet talked PJ at PJSPARTS.com. Hell you ought to be out there and I should have bought an R6! The genny is the biggest part, I paid $800 for the Honda 2kW. The transponder sucks because it's hard to find a deal, but still if you buy it once...

Quote Originally Posted by TransNone13 View Post
    You can't save that up over winter? GB Racing covers for both sides are $150 to $199. Island Racing Services sells sets of pures w/ 1 front 2 rears for $480, I got my CapiTs for $300, just sweet talked PJ at PJSPARTS.com. Hell you ought to be out there and I should have bought an R6! The genny is the biggest part, I paid $800 for the Honda 2kW. The transponder sucks because it's hard to find a deal, but still if you buy it once...
    The issue saving for me is snowboard season

I should be able to do it for sure. Gonna start now and since my shoulder got hurt I think I'm not gonna try for any more days this year

Sucks you're gonna be moving man. Good times while we were out there though

and yea I'm happy to be on the R6. In my mind, that bike is already worth $0 and I'm not afraid of it getting destroyed. That doesn't mean I rail it into the dirt, but it's a BIG weight of your shoulders when it's not your only bike for sure

The issue saving for me is snowboard season

I should be able to do it for sure. Gonna start now and since my shoulder got hurt I think I'm not gonna try for any more days this year

Sucks you're gonna be moving man. Good times while we were out there though

and yea I'm happy to be on the R6. In my mind, that bike is already worth $0 and I'm not afraid of it getting destroyed. That doesn't mean I rail it into the dirt, but it's a BIG weight of your shoulders when it's not your only bike for sure
    Yeah, I will likely pick up 07-09 R6 for my next track bike. I'll ride it like I stole it because I won't have to worry! There are some tracks in AZ, but many have noise restrictions and NONE of my bikes now would pass... lol I doubt they have anything as cool as SS though.
    Last edited by TransNone13; Tue Sep 18th, 2012 at 05:16 PM.

Yeah, I will likely pick up 07-09 R6 for my next track bike. I'll ride it like I stole it because I won't have to worry! There are some tracks in AZ, but many have noise restrictions and NONE of my bikes now would pass... lol I doubt they have anything as cool as SS though.
    Better leave the RC8R with me then, shucks

Better leave the RC8R with me then, shucks
    Saw that coming lol

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    Saw that coming lol
    He already got to ride it... nearly crashed it too!

He already got to ride it... nearly crashed it too!
    haha bullshit!! I avoided that wreck like god damned Valentino Rossi II

I also squirted on the seat

I didn't say you caused it, but yeah we both did! lol

So he test rode it well lol

I only did the last round of SS this year at PPIR. I also went to the lapping day on the Friday before the event. My SS event would have been WAY different if I had not gone to the practice before hand. Ill say that this was a big key to my success in the SS class (finished 2nd) because I was able to familiarize myself with the track while riding along with Brownie and other novice racers. I was also introduced to many of the other serious racers that came to practice, the MRA Board members, and was able to stay the night at the track so I could get to the registration early, go to the riders meeting, etc. I also low sided during the 6th session of the track day, and was able to search for parts that afternoon and evening and was able to get my bike fixed and ready for the SS event. IF I had low sided during practice in SS and the same parts would have broken then I wouldn't have been able to race and would have been kind of pissed that I spent $100 for a practice lap or 3 and an hour of discussion.
    I think if the MRA could expand the SS to the Friday's track day before the MRA event and maybe include a discounted half day lapping price along with a half day of instruction (Call it $180 for the SS Weekend, or $100 for SS Day) then the serious SuperStreet Guys could have the option for getting their money's worth with more real race instruction and track practice. Then on the actual SS event they are gridded at the front and can race the guys who want to race and have good fresh experience in their heads.
    I don't believe that two SS days without doing the pre-event lapping days would have been enough A) experience B) Value C) opportunity for me to even consider licensing up and racing. Granted I live far away and my travel and lodging expenses are higher in the discussion, but I still wouldn't have felt comfortable enough to do it if I was living in Denver or surrounding area.
    If there are enough instructors willing to help out the SS guys on the Friday lapping days before the MRA Events to extend it, then I think you will have way more people licensing up after two events rather then doing every SuperStreet and not licensing up.
    Keeping track of lap times is also a great idea! Why not ask the instructors to let their students borrow a transponder? I know that I came with a lap timer and a transponder and asked to keep track of my times and was told NO. So that definitely needs to change!
    I think that it should be MANDITORY that the SS riders be at the riders meetings. This will not only encourage the riders to come earlier for the lapping day, but it will get them more involved in the entire racing environment! And they need to know all of the information being provided to all of the other racers out on the tracks.
    I also think that if a rider completes his second SS event on a Saturday then he/she should be allowed to race on a Sunday as a Provisional Novice if they buy their license. I'm not sure if this is how it is currently setup but I do believe that this would help!
    The last thing I will suggest is that they add SS practice session in sometime in the morning before the classroom time. I know this may be difficult with the other racers/instructors, but if the SS riders have to go to the riders meeting, then they could meet their instructors immediately afterwards, let the instructors practice, then they could practice, then the instructors race, the SS kids go to class, then they practice again and launch and race! BOOM!

All of the track days on the Friday before race weekends are open lapping days, except the first one of the year. They are run by the tracks and therefore the MRA has no say on pricing. A lot of the people doing Superstreet have already had some track experience and are already acquainted with some of the tracks, PPIR is one track that some have never seen, but again there is a lapping day on the Friday preceding the race weekend.
    The SS riders I have talked with are already of the opinion that the waiting time between the mandatory show up and the time they get to ride is already too long. Having them show up for a 7:40 am riders meeting would add another 4 hours to that time. Any one that wants to attend the riders meeting can do so now if they want.

As far as Superstreet practicing during the race day schedule, the Superstreet bikes are not race prepped for the most part so they can't take a chance that a bike without fluid containment or case covers oils the track because of a failure or crash. This is one of the biggest reasons they run SS last. A mess can be dealt with in the evening without holding up the schedule. Instructors are also right in the middle of their own race day so taking them out of their routine is not really fair or feasible.

If I am not mistaken you can complete a second SS on Sat and race as a novice Sunday with NRD approval, although Novice races are on Sat. Am races are on Sunday but that is a bit of a leap going straight to AmU and/or AmO.
    As far as timing, the transponders are registered to the racer and are not transferable during a raceday, I am sure a laptimer would not be a problem. Most of the time someone has a beacon out and if you have a receiver on your bike you should be able to get times.
    The class is designed to get you a taste of racing, not to be just like racing.

When we started you did the race school which was classroom on Friday night and track and some instruction Sat. morning then a mock race around lunch and then an MRA only lapping for the rest of the day. Then you went straight to racing. I am sure it still is pretty close to this now. SS just gives riders another avenue to a license since there is only one race school per year.

I understand all of those points. But IMO the current Superstreet is no where near enough instruction to only be required to have to complete two of them for a license. You are basically giving any joe shmo an hour of practice and two of them same hour long talks about racing and saying okay we need the money so here ya go, go race and destroy your bike in the first few rounds. How many red flags in one novice race does it take before a line is drawn? Dont get me wrong, i think ss is the a great idea but it needs to be more informative if its to be used to streamline tardy, rookie racers into the grids.

I think what you are missing is Superstreet is not intended as a shortcut to becoming a racer, but rather a way to get a taste of racing without the financial and bike commitment. Anybody can take a new rider school and be racing the next day, that is less track time than superstreet but you have to make the commitment of race prepping your bike. Superstreet lets you try a race first.