Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New KTM Super Duke spied

Re: New KTM Super Duke spied

Ya they lost everything they had going for it. I want the orange back.

It had black wheels and the weird ET mirrors

I want to ride the new one. If it still has the no bullshit unridable grunt, then it has everything that bike was known for.

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    OMG what happened? The tail, the black wheels, those ET mirrors, the headlight.... ugh!
    I am with you. At least the mirrors and tail are easily fixed. An aftermarket exhasut to get rid of that giant can would be high on the priority list too. The black wheels are obviously far easier to keep clean, but have none of the style of the orange/white combo on the concept.

Jason
    07 600RR
    07 Speed Triple -[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)] [/COLOR]GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    OMG what happened? The tail, the black wheels, those ET mirrors, the headlight.... ugh!
    Tail looks the same except for the tag holder, which is a legal requirement and I'm sure would take about half an hour with a dremel tool to pretty up. Wheels can be plasti-dipped if you're into that kind of thing. Mirrors look like they would actually work, but I'm sure they take 2 mins to remove if you don't like seeing things. Headlight looks pretty close considering it has to meet legal standards.

I'm still waiting on hp and torque figures. 160hp is a little weak next to the Tuono and it's going to be down something serious once BMW gets the naked version of the S1000RR out the door. I'd still hit it though. Chop that tail section and throw on a shorty can; good to go.

I'm afraid BMW will re-tune the naked RR for midrange power, probably cut the engine from 193 to around 175. Still a monster, but less so. I never understood why companies wouldn't put the full strength motors in the naked or ST versions. Give me a FZ1 with the R1 engine.

With 1300cc in a twin, this Duke is going to have some wicked torque.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I'm afraid BMW will re-tune the naked RR for midrange power, probably cut the engine from 193 to around 175. Still a monster, but less so. I never understood why companies wouldn't put the full strength motors in the naked or ST versions. Give me a FZ1 with the R1 engine.
    Horsepower = top speed. Mid-range torque = riding in real world situations where having lost a few MPH on the top is insignificant compared to more enjoyable riding at street speeds. The R1 will often be used on the track, so HP is a big concern. The FZ1 will rarely be used on the track, so a flatter torque curve is better.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

+1 ^

Personally anything over 125hp is just for bragging to your buddies about how fast you can't ride.

i can't wait to see it at fays. It won't take much to make it look real sick

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    +1 ^

Personally anything over 125hp is just for bragging to your buddies about how fast you can't ride.

i can't wait to see it at fays. It won't take much to make it look real sick
    Kind of, but power is fun and with electronics these days, it's not as hard as you'd think to hop on a liter bike and lay down darkies, especially if you have the background on a smaller bike to understand the dynamics of it. I also find bigger bikes make better street bikes, since you can lug them around and you're always in the power to some degree or another.

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Horsepower = top speed. Mid-range torque = riding in real world situations where having lost a few MPH on the top is insignificant compared to more enjoyable riding at street speeds. The R1 will often be used on the track, so HP is a big concern. The FZ1 will rarely be used on the track, so a flatter torque curve is better.
    I understand the power delivery, but never once felt myself wanting more midrange torque on any modern literbike. Top end on my bike, I already want more.

tecknojoe, I actually use every bit of my 193 fairly frequently, and found my 120hp SV1000 to be quite boring at times. I'm also the first to admit my addiction to power makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty.

I understand the power delivery, but never once felt myself wanting more midrange torque on any modern literbike. Top end on my bike, I already want more.

tecknojoe, I actually use every bit of my 193 fairly frequently, and found my 120hp SV1000 to be quite boring at times. I'm also the first to admit my addiction to power makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty.

I think he was trying to say that power is a crutch for people that can't ride, which is largely true, as any idiot can twist their wrist. Not saying it isn't fun to do it, but most of the time if you go to a track day, the slowest people are on liter bikes because they require a skill level far beyond that of most riders and the intimidation factor stunts skill progression. 99% of folks will be faster on a less powerful and lighter bike.

Also, as an aside, you're really only making about 160hp at 5280', less if you go higher. Take that thing down to sea level and it's a whole different bike; it goes from a fast bike here to a holy shit bike at sea level. Since moving here, I can't wait for electrics since they won't get crippled by the elevation like that.

I understand the power addiction. I'm sure it's fun. When I went from the superduke to the r6 it felt weak at first. But then when I open the throttle at the track, I'm reminded why I love the R6.

I'd rock the new superduke for damn sure. I'd also rock an RC8R.

KTM just brought it...180hp, 106 lb-ft torque. Also, 416lbs Dry, Brembo M50's, traction control and ABS with "Supermoto mode"

Me gusta

World Exclusive: 2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R

Wow, impressive specs, especially for a KTM (Which has thus far completely lacked electronic aids). I wouldn't mind swinging a leg over a 180hp twin if it actually makes that much (Read not a Ducati).

Wow, impressive specs, especially for a KTM (Which has thus far completely lacked electronic aids). I wouldn't mind swinging a leg over a 180hp twin if it actually makes that much (Read not a Ducati).
    They just got it in the 2013 1190 Adventure, which purportedly has awesome wheelie control, but this is the first appearance of "Supermoto mode"

I did not know that, about time KTM plays with the other "exotics." I wonder when the RC8R will get the same treatment.

I'd also love to try out the wheelie control (I'm sure the Super Duke will have it). The wheelie control on my BMW is, at best, pretty elementary. It waits to cut any power until the front wheel is off the ground, but the instant that happens the wheel is already 1-2ft up, and then it cuts a ton of power very quickly, bringing the front down hard and fast. Once the front wheel is back down, it gives 100% right back, so the tire instantly lifts again.

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Generic's Avatar

Here's the exclusive info http://rideapart.com/2013/09/exclusi...-photos-specs/

Holy god I want this bike and man is it too much bike for me

Good god .. those numbers! I have a stiffie.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Dear sweet baby Jesus that thing is sweet!

Gimme gimme gimme! Hopefully it won't be a$20k bike...
    too swift on my toes to get caught up wit chyou hoes

No way. It'll be 16

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Generic's Avatar

Updated Video

That bike sounds gnarly. I want one so bad!

Black color scheme released today. Much better than the orange IMO...