Thread: Walden Sand Dunes (North Sand Hills)

Walden Sand Dunes (North Sand Hills)

Anyone ever ridden here on a dirt bike? I was thinking about heading up there this weekend since they have gotten a little rain. Figured it would pack the sand a little. Looking for any advice on riding there plus a few questions:

Website says a whip is recommended but do people use them? I have only ridden dunes in Little Sahara, OK and it was required so everyone had them.

Any suggestions on route once your in there?

http://www.blm.gov/co/st/en/fo/kfo/r...and_hills.html

Open to any other comments about this riding area.

Thanks.
    Owner and General Manager - Fun Center Cycles in Durango, CO

11 BMW S1000RR - Street - Lady on the street
    13 Kawi ZX6R - Track - Freak in the bed
    13 Triumph Daytona 675R - Wifes bike

2014 MRA 400 Production Class Champion

Re: Walden Sand Dunes (North Sand Hills)

I've ridden them before with the FS. There not bad. No need for a paddle tire and no whip required. A lot of people have them though. We dropped our pressures and ripped around on knobbies. Have to admit a paddle would have been better. The weekends can get pretty busy with some rough people around throwing some crazy parties. The area is patrolled by law enforcement from the State Parks Based in Gould. Emergency towers are stationed throughout the dunes incase of a mishap. There are restrooms on site but can't remember if water is as well. A cool thing--- if you head to the east side of the dunes there are some old rundown cabins you can check out. Hope this helps
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

There are dirt trails in the north part of the dunes as well. Not difficult trails either. Some good hill climbs.

On the drive back, if you want/ have time, Lake Agnes in the Nokhu Craggs is absolutely beautiful. Totally worth a short trip to see. And right near where you'll be, located off Cameron Pass near the Ranger Lakes Turn off. It's only accessible for a couple months. Short drive on a dirt road then a .8mi hike to and back.
    Last edited by kawasakirob; Thu Sep 27th, 2012 at 02:53 AM.

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

knobbies are fine for all but steepest hill climbs. keep your front brake use to a minimum, although it's fun to watch someone grab the front brakes and highside/lowside.

Forgot to mention, on the west side there are some small, but fun drops you can hit. Great landings

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

That looks like fun. I'll have to take the xr up there some time.

I am for sure heading up there tomorrow so I will let you know how it goes.

Sweet, take pics and vid.

So how we're they?

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Not bad. Took me half the day to get use to the front end push when letting off the gas. Its a small area but still good for a day or two of riding. I would go back.

Pics?

old thread revival....

Even though I am in Vegas now, I was a regular at walden. There is a TON of trails to do out there.

Obviously this time of year is no good, but when things warm up there is plenty to do.

To the north of the dunes, cross the river and head north/northeast up the trail. This is a fairly rocky trail but overall not bad. It is the power line trail. You will zig zag around a little bit then you will end up under the power lines. A short distance up, the trail splits. Go right and it will bring you back to the dunes, but is a VERY technical trail with a LOT of very steep downhill on slick rocks. Dangerous when wet so only do this if things are dry.

go left, however and that is the power line trail. I tracked this trail for about 50 miles once up into Wyoming then had to turn back because of gas. There are a TON of offshoots from the power line trail and go through everything from muddy rutted jeep trails to old logging trails. There are usually a bunch of fallen trees up there so be ready to hop those. i would often see lots of wildlife from bears to mountain lions and elk (still haven't seen any moose).

Of you go south east of the dunes (follow the sand to the furthest south east corner) and follow the fence to the east and you will find a trail that runs for miles and miles and miles that has some neat water crossings and eventually turns into an old logging trails that climb the mountains to the east and boasts some of the most incredible views I have ever seen in Colorado. I don't know how far this trail goes as I had to turn back for gas. It does go past the southern dunes (the privately owned dunes land).

Be careful going that way as on the return you can easily end up on a trail that, while full of deer that are fun to chase, will get you all turned around and on the wrong side of the fence and can be a pain to find your way back.

Also, if you go to dead mans hill in the middle east side of the dunes, you can access some pretty cool trails (short though) that skirt the east (back) side of the dunes and wind through aspen groves with water crossings and logs to hop that will connect you either to the campgrounds if you go north, or the old busted up cabins an dthat previous trail to the south.

There is a TON of stuff to do there. I regularly make the trip to colorado to ride there with a few buddies, among other places in the area.

Most of the trails are ATV friendly as well but will require a little more savvy to negotiate them. I have done nearly everything on both dirtbike and ATV there, as well as an old FL250 odyssey with a polaris 440 sled motor in it - fun but was not easy or comfortable (mentally and physically) in a lot of places.

- Justin.
    Last edited by MVBrutaleRider; Sat Feb 9th, 2013 at 12:18 PM.
    Justin Naekel - Las Vegas, NV

I like this place. I managed to pull my quad in the sand with my lowered integra! But i did get stuck twice and had to get pulled out by modded jeeps and side by sides haha.

I have a good story to go with the trip though!
    So I was 5 miles away from the dunes and blew a tire on the trailer. it was right next to a 20 foot cliff as well..

So i drove about 8 miles back to town and found a mechanic who loaned me tools to go take off the lugs (car wrench was like 1 mm too small -.-). So i drove 8 miles backt to my car and it wasnt the right size. Went back to mechanic and got the right size. Drove back to the trailer and pulled the wheels off to go get them changed. I left the trailer on jacks cause I figured it wouldnt go anywhere without wheels.

So i went back to the mechanic and could not find ANY tires that fit, I thought i was screwed. Then the mechanic mentioned we could use his welding machines tires. So we pulled them off and took 3 hours to get them on since they were to small for the rims (but the eventually fit). So I drove back with the wheels to find this...

I cant even tell you have confused and pissed i was. I found out someone LITERALLY pushed my trailer off the edge, because I had tools on the side of the road and they were down the hill too. Wind couldnt have done that...

I pulled the trailer down the hill and put the wheels on, then pulled the trailer back on the wheels.

I was able to hook up a chain to my quad and tow the trailer over the 3 foot bushes, back onto the street.

Luckily there wasnt too much damage.

Otherwise, I had an epic weekend!
    Last edited by Ph03niX; Mon Feb 11th, 2013 at 11:48 AM.
    06 GSXR 750

are you sure? what kind of a duchebag would it take to see a guy has a flat tire and then shove his shit off the cliff?

I thought that shit only happened in drunken mobs while burning down cities
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
    are you sure? what kind of a duchebag would it take to see a guy has a flat tire and then shove his shit off the cliff?

I thought that shit only happened in drunken mobs while burning down cities
    Yeah im sure. It didnt have wheels on it at all. How else do you explain my tools coming off the road? Someones pathetic hands. :P
    06 GSXR 750

That sucks