Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Space Art

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Space Art

About a year ago, we discussed the discovery of Kepler-16 here and there has been a lot of activity in the field of planets around binary stars. In a few weeks, a team that I am on is going to announce the discovery of a planet in a very cool star system. When I can talk about the details publicly, I'll post here about it. Since I've been working on a lot of art recently, I thought I'd start this thread to share some of it since there seems to be some interest in the topic.

A double sunset:

A view of the aforementioned Kepler-16:

and a view of a wide binary system with two stars of very different temperatures:

When we announce our discovery (currently planning on Oct 11), I'll post some paintings of that system.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Re: Space Art

I don't know anything about where you work or what you do, but this post makes me think both are pretty awesome. I can't wait to hear what you have to say in the near future.

Sweet! Cool art, thanks for sharing. Can't wait to hear the news. Those pics of course remind me of the end of 2010:Odyssey Two, hahaa.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Very cool!
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Senior Member Yearly Supporter FZ1Guy's Avatar

How long before we find a human habitable planet that is viable to live on?
    Ridin' and Lovin' Life
    2007 Yamaha FZ1

Quote Originally Posted by birchyboy View Post
    I don't know anything about where you work or what you do, but this post makes me think both are pretty awesome. I can't wait to hear what you have to say in the near future.
    Yes, many years of toiling in school, postdoctoral work, etc., being homeless for a while because I couldn't afford to pay for both tuition and a place to stay, finally did pay off.

Quote Originally Posted by FZ1Guy View Post
    Hard to say. With the Kepler satellite searching, it could be any day. There won't be one that we can go to in the near future, though. Space is big and our spacecraft are very slow.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by FZ1Guy View Post
    You just asked a billion-$$$ centuries old question with answers requiring thousands of pages in research and speculation, LOL!
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

So how long have you guys been talking to them?
    And do they truly understand what they are getting themselves into when they ask for our women?
    Last edited by Snowman; Thu Sep 27th, 2012 at 12:08 PM.

MRA Racer No.427

Senior Member Yearly Supporter FZ1Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Yes, many years of toiling in school, postdoctoral work, etc., being homeless for a while because I couldn't afford to pay for both tuition and a place to stay, finally did pay off.

Hard to say. With the Kepler satellite searching, it could be any day. There won't be one that we can go to in the near future, though. Space is big and our spacecraft are very slow.
    Thats not a great outlook... considering how fast the ecological changes are going right now.

Perhaps technology will get us out of this bind quicker than the eventual unrepairable damage (manmade or natural) making our planet less than livable in the future. I guess you and I don't have to worry too much about that for our lives... but for mankind, that a BIG DEAL!!!

Maybe we can learn how to fold space and time??? Are there any advancements in this field now?
    Last edited by FZ1Guy; Thu Sep 27th, 2012 at 12:05 PM.
    Ridin' and Lovin' Life
    2007 Yamaha FZ1

Space is big and our spacecraft are very slow.
    lol
    I have no idea what you're talking about.

MRA Racer No.427

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    I heart Ted Talks... thank you!
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Dirk you need to hook up high res on these.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    Dirk you need to hook up high res on these.
    That's a sensitive topic. I recently completed a 4-year term as President of the International Association of Astronomical Artists and I am a Fellow of that organization. Part of the mission of the IAAA is to ensure that our artists can earn a living with their skills. The advent of the digital age has made it much easier to copy artwork and use it for financial benefit, without compensating the artists (e.g., some of my work has been used for book covers without my consent). One way of fighting such use is to not put hi-res work out there.

There is a lot of bad space art out there, and unfortunately a lot of it gets attached to press releases on these discoveries because people think everything should be free, and there are "artists" who are happy to oblige. In fact, today I saw the images going out with our discovery press release (because the lead of the group had a prior agreement with someone), and I felt sick to my stomach. It looks very amateurish. I'll post them here, along with mine when the discovery is announced and we'll see what you guys think

--Thomas Jefferson

Wow, I didn't even realize you actually are the artist! I just thought you were sharing some cool artwork you got/found through your job. *facepalm*

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Wow, I didn't even realize you actually are the artist! I just thought you were sharing some cool artwork you got/found through your job. *facepalm*

I was thinking of having the third printed and framed because it gave me instawood. Definitely all 3 for wallpapers.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

In fact, today I saw the images going out with our discovery press release (because the lead of the group had a prior agreement with someone), and I felt sick to my stomach. It looks very amateurish. I'll post them here, along with mine when the discovery is announced and we'll see what you guys think
    I still remember the first time I stumbled upon some of my work being used on websites that I had NO hand in creating. It sucks.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

I was thinking of having the third printed and framed because it gave me instawood.
    For those interested, I can make prints available through Cafe Press.

--Thomas Jefferson

For those interested, I can make prints available through Cafe Press.
    I'm in for this. I think CP charges an arm and a leg for framed stuff, so maybe just put your prints up and let people get stuff framed local if they want to?
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

That binary pic #2 reminds me of all that time I spent under that hot blue sun as a child on Alpha Centuri E (the third planet out). Of course, I can't talk about that without the MIB coming after me...
    1989 Honda Hawk,2005 crf250x supermoto

It is better to communicate good information than to offer misinformation in the name of good communication. Alastair B Fraser

I'm in for this. I think CP charges an arm and a leg for framed stuff, so maybe just put your prints up and let people get stuff framed local if they want to?
    I'll try to set it up soon.

And Adam, nice try. There is no blue star in the Alpha Centauri system. We all know you're from Beta Cygni...

--Thomas Jefferson

Gold Member

That duel sunset is my dream of a perfect day at the beach. Sweet pics man.

I can vouch for the quality of the prints from Cafe Press, I have one of Dirks earlier works. I did just order the print and had it framed locally.

+1 for buying prints.

That would suck to have one sun go down and one sun come up. Perpetual days?!!? How the hell am I supposed to party in the clubs with my sunglasses on?!