Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Space Art

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Re: Space Art

Here is a new piece I've been working on recently:

Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Somewhere in the south suburbia of sprawl.

Any inside scoop on what the Mars Rover found up there that's "historical"?
    Did they find some microscopic fossil remains of something perhaps?
    ...Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Current Ride: 2005 Ducati ST3

Quote Originally Posted by Vance View Post
    Any inside scoop on what the Mars Rover found up there that's "historical"?
    Did they find some microscopic fossil remains of something perhaps?
    Not being on the team, I don't have any more knowledge of what they found than anyone else. I will say that the Mars people have a history, in my eyes, of exaggerating things a little too much so I'm not holding my breath in anticipation. Unlike many, I don't forget all the things in the past that have turned out to bite the people who make claims like this (e.g. the Viking landers soil experiments that indicated life but turned out to be caused by elevated levels of peroxides in the soil, the whole "arsenic life" thing that turned out to have an embarrassingly simple mundane explanation that should have been explored before running to the press about a historical discovery, etc.) NASA is really bad about this sort of thing. We'll see what they have to say at the American Geophysical Union meeting in a couple of weeks. I'd bet it has something to do with organic molecules.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Like those microscopic "filament/bacteria tunnels" in that "Martian Meteorite", remember that one? That entire hullaballoo slowly faded away too, or any updates?...

http://www.space.com/11049-alien-lif...kepticism.html

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0512105730.htm
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Like those microscopic "filament/bacteria tunnels" in that "Martian Meteorite", remember that one? That entire hullaballoo slowly faded away too, or any updates?...
    I think all of that is controversial at best. It may pan out. It may not. Right now we can't say for sure that non-biological processes couldn't produce those things.

--Thomas Jefferson

I think this possible upcoming announcement is what Vance was askign about:

http://www.npr.org/2012/11/20/165513...ts-mum-for-now

http://lightyears.blogs.cnn.com/2012...ews/?hpt=hp_t3

No details yet though...

Scientists working on NASA's six-wheeled rover on Mars have a problem. But it's a good problem.
    They have some exciting new results from one of the rover's instruments. On the one hand, they'd like to tell everybody what they found, but on the other, they have to wait because they want to make sure their results are not just some fluke or error in their instrument.

It's a bind scientists frequently find themselves in, because by their nature, scientists like to share their results. At the same time, they're cautious because no one likes to make a big announcement and then have to say "never mind."

The exciting results are coming from an instrument in the rover called SAM. "We're getting data from SAM as we sit here and speak, and the data looks really interesting," John Grotzinger, the principal investigator for the rover mission, says during my visit last week to his office at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif. That's where data from SAM first arrive on Earth. "The science team is busily chewing away on it as it comes down," says Grotzinger.

SAM is a kind of miniature chemistry lab. Put a sample of Martian soil or rock or even air inside SAM, and it will tell you what the sample is made of.

Grotzinger says they recently put a soil sample in SAM, and the analysis shows something earthshaking. "This data is gonna be one for the history books. It's looking really good," he says
    Last edited by Ghosty; Wed Nov 21st, 2012 at 03:15 PM.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance View Post
    Any inside scoop on what the Mars Rover found up there that's "historical"? Did they find some microscopic fossil remains of something perhaps?
    Followup <bump>. Too bad, wish that one scientist wouldn't have used those words "One for the history books". Ends up being an exagerration, like Dirk predicted, oh well.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2012/...ntcmp=features

All good though, lots of research and data being accomplished. Keep up the space art!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Followup <bump>. Too bad, wish that one scientist wouldn't have used those words "One for the history books". Ends up being an exagerration, like Dirk predicted, oh well.
    I'm obviously not surprised. I'm sure it's an interesting result in a scientific sense but, in my experience, mission people seem seem too often to have an elevated sense of their importance, and that probably leads to these exaggerated statements.

In less exaggerated news, I have a new painting of Kepler-47:

--Thomas Jefferson

Here's a new one:

--Thomas Jefferson

WHOA! Ok, I think I've found the one finally, lol.

Our discovery of Kepler-64 (aka PH1) made the top 10 list of science stories in 2012:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/28/tech/i...html?hpt=hp_c2

--Thomas Jefferson

Would a planet's orbit in a binar star system be stable enough
    for life to evolve over millions and millions of years? I imagine the planet being
    tugged around as the effects of each of the stars' gravity would cause
    radical orbits.
    "My God, it's full of stars!"

If we can find life in lakes under 2km of ice and less than 3000km away living next to volcanic vents at the bottom of an ocean, I don't think a little thing like an elliptical orbit is going to stop them...

MRA Racer No.427

Quote Originally Posted by FZRACE97 View Post
    Would a planet's orbit in a binar star system be stable enough
    for life to evolve over millions and millions of years? I imagine the planet being
    tugged around as the effects of each of the stars' gravity would cause
    radical orbits.
    It depends on the circumstances. There are certainly orbits that are stable over billion-year timescales and within the habitable zone, far enough away that the gravity of the two stars looks essentially like one star but close enough not to be frozen.

--Thomas Jefferson

A new piece:

--Thomas Jefferson

Awesome thread Dirk, just read through the whole thing. I know its late, but 'grats to you and your team on the discovery and such, and props to you for some fantastic artwork.
    '02 Yamaha FZ1(SOLD)
    '06 Triumph Daytona 675

YOURE NOT EVEN MY REAL DAD!

Quote Originally Posted by FZjake719 View Post
    Awesome thread Dirk, just read through the whole thing. I know its late, but 'grats to you and your team on the discovery and such, and props to you for some fantastic artwork.
    Thanks, man.

--Thomas Jefferson

And another one:

I worked on this one over the holidays to finish up a 2013 calendar of space art. I've made that calendar available at Cafe Press if anyone is interested:

http://www.cafepress.com/dirkterrell.736920777

Note that it is an oversized calendar with each image 17"x11", so 17"x22" when hung on the wall.

Last edited by dirkterrell; Wed Jan 2nd, 2013 at 03:36 PM.

--Thomas Jefferson

I don't really do Space stuff... but here are a few of the better ones I did a while back.

and an abstract one... VERY OLD WORK. Maybe 10 years old...
    I called it "The birth of the universe"

Very nice.

--Thomas Jefferson

Took this on the Pilgrimage, at the time of alignment. The center one was a bit more orange/red in real life, however, this picture will do.
    It works! Slow in, Fast out
    "Sarcasm is difficult to convey on the internet, especially if the people reading it don't know you personally". By Spiderman
    Neither irony nor sarcasm is argument. By Rufus Choate
    Be smart, be nice, do what'cha love and always have fun.
    Let food be your medicine, and medicine be your food. - Hippocrates
    I will use treatment to help the sick. I will never use it to injure them or wrong them. I will not give poison to anyone. - The Hippocratic Oath

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    About a year ago, we discussed the discovery of Kepler-16 here and there has been a lot of activity in the field of planets around binary stars. In a few weeks, a team that I am on is going to announce the discovery of a planet in a very cool star system. When I can talk about the details publicly, I'll post here about it. Since I've been working on a lot of art recently, I thought I'd start this thread to share some of it since there seems to be some interest in the topic.

A double sunset:

A view of the aforementioned Kepler-16:

and a view of a wide binary system with two stars of very different temperatures:

When we announce our discovery (currently planning on Oct 11), I'll post some paintings of that system.
    Awesome work, as usual, Dirk! Looking forward to seeing more and hearing more!

Hey, do you know of any Realtors on these planets, 'cause I wanna move there!
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)