Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Space Art

Re: Space Art

Is the 3rd picture of a globular cluster?
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

That last one is amazing. I "heart" it. I'm sure you've discussed it before Dirk, but what's the media when you create these?
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    Is the 3rd picture of a globular cluster?
    Indeed it is.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    That last one is amazing. I "heart" it. I'm sure you've discussed it before Dirk, but what's the media when you create these?
    Thanks Brandon. The rendering engine is Terragen 3. But for the globular cluster, I had to write some additional code to get it to place the stars in the cluster correctly. And for all of them, I do some post-processing work by hand in the GIMP.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Do you have a high-res plotter at your disposal, to make a print? I would totally pay to have that and then get it framed. It's beautiful art.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Do you have a high-res plotter at your disposal, to make a print? I would totally pay to have that and then get it framed. It's beautiful art.
    I do, but I can't use it for that purpose. I can, however, make prints available through CafePress or through my professional printer. The latter would be much higher quality and use archival inks, but they would be more expensive.

--Thomas Jefferson

Let me do some measurements and I'll let you know what I'm thinking. Maybe since you have a professional printer, his/her connections could just bundle the framing too. I'll be in touch over PM in the upcoming weeks.
    Last edited by ~Barn~; Mon Dec 15th, 2014 at 07:26 PM.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Hey Dirk,

I imagine those files are huge, but if they can be emailed, would you be okay with sending some of them to me at max. res.? If so, I'll let ya know which ones. Would definitely like to print some of these and frame them. Got a roll of 42"x100' photo paper that's been sitting around for years...
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Let me do some measurements and I'll let you know what I'm thinking. Maybe since you have a professional printer, his/her connections could just bundle the framing too. I'll be in touch over PM in the upcoming weeks.
    Yes, she can do framing and has done some for me that were on display at exhibitions. Here is one hanging in my office:

These are professionally printed, matted and frame by someone who is an artist who understands how this type of art should look, and they aren't cheap. The print in the one above is the typical size I do, about 24"x13". At exhibitions I sell ones like the above for $400. You are more than welcome to come by the office and see them in person. I have two of these professionally done ones hanging here at work.

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    Hey Dirk,

I imagine those files are huge, but if they can be emailed, would you be okay with sending some of them to me at max. res.? If so, I'll let ya know which ones. Would definitely like to print some of these and frame them. Got a roll of 42"x100' photo paper that's been sitting around for years...
    Yeah, I can't let the main files out into the wild since I do sell the rights to the images to magazine and book publishers as well as limited edition prints to collectors. I'm not a starving artist, but I have many friends and colleagues in the field who try to make a living at this, and I do my best to stand with them by trying to get people to understand how much work artists do to perfect their craft. The Internet has really warped people's perspective about that, and they expect to get beautiful work for nothing or "the exposure". Cheap or free usually gets you rather lame stuff. For example, when we discovered the planet in Kepler 64, I offered to do the artwork for the press release, but those in charge scoffed at it, probably because they would have to pay a little for it. They had someone in-house do it and they got this:

I painted several images myself anyway. Here they are:

I'm obviously biased, but I do have a strong opinion about the relative quality of those images, and people whose skills as artists are way beyond mine have confirmed my opinion. (And I know you, almost certainly better than anyone else on this site, understand all this. I just wanted to get it out there for others, and to continue to spread the understanding of what artists do and why it's important to support them.)

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Yeah, I can't let the main files out into the wild since I do sell the rights to the images to magazine and book publishers as well as limited edition prints to collectors. I'm not a starving artist, but I have many friends and colleagues in the field who try to make a living at this, and I do my best to stand with them by trying to get people to understand how much work artists do to perfect their craft. The Internet has really warped people's perspective about that, and they expect to get beautiful work for nothing or "the exposure". Cheap or free usually gets you rather lame stuff. For example, when we discovered the planet in Kepler 64, I offered to do the artwork for the press release, but those in charge scoffed at it, probably because they would have to pay a little for it.

I'm obviously biased, but I do have a strong opinion about the relative quality of those images, and people whose skills as artists are way beyond mine have confirmed my opinion. (And I know you, almost certainly better than anyone else on this site, understand all this. I just wanted to get it out there for others, and to continue to spread the understanding of what artists do and why it's important to support them.)
    No worries. I wouldn't have asked if I knew you were selling the rights. I thought since you offered Café Press they were not commercial products.

...and I know exactly where you are coming from. I never let my CAD files out. PDFs for review, but never the actual work.

Speaking of artists, I have NEVER illegally downloaded a CD or even a song from the internet. I gladly buy the whole CD to support the musicians. Always have, always will...
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    ...and I know exactly where you are coming from. I never let my CAD files out. PDFs for review, but never the actual work.
    And that's why I knew you'd understand this situation better than most do.

--Thomas Jefferson

Hey Dirk, a quick question about the above framed print in your office...

Can you tell me what the rough HxW of that is? I know this has been a long time coming, but I am still interested in either a framed print or a traditional gallery-wrap style production, of that image I like. Any cost savings for me might come in the "framing", so that's why I'm curious if gallery-wrap is available. Either way, once I know the dimensions of that one that you sell similarly for $400, it'll give me a good point of reference.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

And..... nevermind. I just went back to re-read your post and you said it was ~24 x13.

If you would though, PM when you get a chance and let me know what you might charge me for a print that is around 60' wide.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Hey Brandon, I was out of town and just saw this. Let me check with my print person.

--Thomas Jefferson