Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New car advise (vs used)

New car advise (vs used)

We're buying Mrs. Clovis a new car.

I've done all my negotiating and insurance quotes.

2010 Subaru Forester XT Limited (Turbo, top trim level)
    21,000 miles
    $23,250

vs

2013 Subaru Forester XT Touring (Same trim level but now called "touring")
    4 miles
    $28,600

Factoring in the additional sales tax the new one is $5665 more and would cost $88/mo more than the used one with the same term. Since it's new, the interest rate would be 1% better then the used option.

Cars are pretty much identical, no changes in the years. The Forester is due for a redesign in 2014.

So, is buying new with 0 milese and a full warranty worth the extra $5665 in cost and/or $88 more per month?

Thoughts?
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Re: New car advise (vs used)

A new one smells better than a used one.

Do you plan on keeping either one of the vehicles for as long as possible? If so, save the cash and get the used one and use the extra $$$ for goodies. If you're worried about resale obviously the newer the better.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

If you're that close anyway I'd probably go for the new one due to the fresh everything, lower interest rate, and complete warranty.
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    A new one smells better than a used one.
    In more ways than one.
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Go for the new car, In this area and market Subaru's hold value better than most, if you would want or need to sale later.

Certified pre-owned? Save a couple grand and still have the warranty?
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

When I bought my WRX new (2011) I was shopping for a 2009.

The best price I found on a 09 was only $1500 lower then a brand new 11 so I opted for a new one.

This one is a bit more.

It's out of it's new car warranty or it will be within a week but it still has the power train for another 2 years.

or buy a Honda and drive it forever

I always wanted a Baja. Dad drives Subarus but my Civic's at 206k and won't die.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Save the money. Factor it into any expenses you'll have related to the car over the term of the ownership (in comparison to the full warranty).

As people have pointed out though, it's really based on what your future plan is for ownership of the car. i.e. Do you see yourself still wanting to use either one once you get to the +5 year mark of ownership? The +8 mark?

A goood predicament to be in though, g'luck on the purchase.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

5 g's isn't worth getting used. I would only get the used one from a private party so you can "save" on the taxes if you know what I mean. If you don' t then disregard my post.

Depending on when the redesign is released, $ may drop even further on 2013s. At least that is what usually happens when major model changes happen.

Jason
    07 600RR
    07 Speed Triple -[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)] [/COLOR]GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)][/COLOR]

Buy at the end of the year if new, way cheaper and more incentives given for your end given thats one less unit they pay tax on following year

Quote Originally Posted by JKOL View Post
    Depending on when the redesign is released, $ may drop even further on 2013s. At least that is what usually happens when major model changes happen.
    ^^ This. The redesign is most likely going to be for the 2014 model.

My WRX (2011 which was the last redeisgn year) still holds it's value and equity but that would likely change when the new design comes out in 2 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    We're buying Mrs. Clovis a new car.

I've done all my negotiating and insurance quotes.

2010 Subaru Forester XT Limited (Turbo, top trim level)
    21,000 miles
    $23,250

vs

2013 Subaru Forester XT Touring (Same trim level but now called "touring")
    4 miles
    $28,600

Factoring in the additional sales tax the new one is $5665 more and would cost $88/mo more than the used one with the same term. Since it's new, the interest rate would be 1% better then the used option.

Cars are pretty much identical, no changes in the years. The Forester is due for a redesign in 2014.

So, is buying new with 0 milese and a full warranty worth the extra $5665 in cost and/or $88 more per month?

Thoughts?
    I'm confused - did I miss something here or already posted where you showed what the higher cost was AFTER interest? What's the term, cuz if you're doing a 72mo then it's $6,336 more for new @ $88/mo
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

The $5665 refers to the difference in cost and 5.9% sales tax on that difference.

The new financing incentives help offset some of the cost as it's 1% lower then what I can get on a new car.

So what's most important is the total paid over the life of the loans. What are those numbers?

Maybe I'm dense the total difference is the $5665?
    Last edited by TinkerinWstuff; Wed Oct 3rd, 2012 at 11:41 PM.

1999 DR650SE

The amount paid over the life of the loan isn't a huge factor to me. It's really just a mater of the cost. Is new worth $5665 over a used of the same model/trim?

A couple of nice things the 2013 has though.

1) Bluetooth. My car has this and my wife has to have it. We use our iphones for our music so it's pretty handy to just auto-sync and play music. Her current car has an aux jack and she hates it, the wires eventually short out and she has to get a new cord every few months.

2) Back up camera. For my wife, this is pretty important...

3) HID - another nice to have as she's doesn't have great night vision and drives a lot at night to her job.

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    The amount paid over the life of the loan isn't a huge factor to me. It's really just a mater of the cost. Is new worth $5665 over a used of the same model/trim?
    I used to think that way until I bought an ATV on Yamaha credit. The bill shows up with principal and interest broken out so you see just how much money you are throwing away every month. As opposed to an automobile payment book which hides the numbers. Over the life of the loan, that difference of $5000 will cost you trice that much.

1999 DR650SE

Tax isn't on the price paid, it's on the original taxable value now, to prevent the old I paid 56 dollars for a 5600 dollar motorcycle scam. They will both likely have very similar taxes.

Anyways, buying new has the advantage of the warranty, and knowing it was cared for since day 1, and apparently bluetooth, the other things wouldn't matter at all to me. The bluetooth is a safety factor, since it's handsfree talking on the phone, I would say that's worth a grand to me, the warranty, could be worth a lot, could be worth nothing..... Depends if anything goes wrong.

Ok, anyways, if you assume they both will be driven until there is 200,000 miles on the car, the used one will cost: 13 cents per mile, and the new one 14 cents per mile, since the used car as 21k on it and the new car has 8. Until 100,000 miles it's 28.6 vs 29.4 used vs new. The price per mile really isn't a huge difference, though it is 4% more.

Bluetooth costs $400 at Bestbuy installed. Looking at adding a new deck to my '02 Civic to make it more modern.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kenwood+...&skuId=4769551

1999 DR650SE

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
    Bluetooth costs $400 at Bestbuy installed. Looking at adding a new deck to my '02 Civic to make it more modern.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kenwood+...&skuId=4769551
    Factory installed is worth more to me than aftermarket, it's usually worth more to the second buyer too.

worth $5000 more?

1999 DR650SE

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
    worth $5000 more?
    I believe I said it was worth 1000 to me. Oh yes I did. So no it's not worth 5000 to me.

Quote Originally Posted by laspariahs
    The bluetooth is a safety factor, since it's handsfree talking on the phone, I would say that's worth a grand to me,
    Like I said, the cost per mile is about 1 cent more for the new car if it's kept for any length of time. If you drive 100 miles a day, it's 1 dollar a day more expensive, or 365 dollars a year. I don't drive anywhere near that much, so cost per day would be very minimal to me. That's assuming both cars will live the exact same number of miles. I'm not advocating for a new car or the used car just giving actual numbers, in the way I would think about it, cost per mile. I've only bought one brand new vehicle in my entire life.