Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New car advise (vs used)

Re: New car advise (vs used)

Did you factor in the higher registration cost and possible insurance differences?

$5k is a big difference to me. I'd probably go with the used one, buy a Subaru extended warranty (not an aftermarket warranty), and add Bluetooth. You can also add backup cameras and throw in some fancy lightbulbs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by laspariahs View Post
    I believe I said it was worth 1000 to me. Oh yes I did. So no it's not worth 5000 to me.

Like I said, the cost per mile is about 1 cent more for the new car if it's kept for any length of time. If you drive 100 miles a day, it's 1 dollar a day more expensive, or 365 dollars a year. I don't drive anywhere near that much, so cost per day would be very minimal to me. That's assuming both cars will live the exact same number of miles. I'm not advocating for a new car or the used car just giving actual numbers, in the way I would think about it, cost per mile. I've only bought one brand new vehicle in my entire life.
    Sorry, guess I missed that.

Being as I drive my car for a living, I also like to look at it from a cost per mile. But you have to look at all the costs like the total cost over life of the loan (money wasted on interest)
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
    Sorry, guess I missed that.

Being as I drive my car for a living, I also like to look at it from a cost per mile. But you have to look at all the costs like the total cost over life of the loan (money wasted on interest)
    I agree you would have to look at money wasted on interest, but I can only work with the numbers given, he didn't give interest numbers for each etc, he just said the 5600ish difference.

Anyways, I just backwards calculated how much the 21,000 miles would be worth, at 14 (driven to 200k) and 28 (driven to 100K) cents per mile, the mileage is worth anywhere from $2940 to $5880, depending on how long you keep it, assuming both cars live with no repairs to 100 or 200k.

I would get new (for 5k more) because I will know that the car is (will be) well taken care of since new instead of HOPING that the previous owner took good care of the car on those first few thousand miles, the most important miles that will determine the life and reliability of the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suki View Post
    ...i mean, sure maybe 4 inches isn't much to them, but it sure as hell is alot to me!

if i were to buy a subie, it would have to be a non-turbo. maintenance is way pricier. z rated tires, premium fuel only, and synthetic oil changes as well. but god damn are they quick little cars.
    Ride To Live

81' CB900f... the oldy
    11' CRF250R..FOR SALE
    74' MR50......the mini
    87' VFR700...the daily ride

Quote Originally Posted by maktastik_jr. View Post
    if i were to buy a subie, it would have to be a non-turbo. maintenance is way pricier. z rated tires, premium fuel only, and synthetic oil changes as well. but god damn are they quick little cars.
    My question is why does the forester only have a 4 speed auto? I wouldn't buy an auto car, but 4 speed? 4? It's 2012, almost 2013, it's time to put that thing to rest.

Senior Member Moderator

Ugh, if you're going to spend the money, why get something that's so damn ugly? That's like having a couple grand to drop on a trick and choosing a toothless meth-head with weeping sores.

Thanks for the advice guys. I think we're going to go with new.

I'm familar with the interest given that I do loans professionally she'll have his car for 3 to 4 years. At 3 years its half paid off and worth 9k more so when the rate is 1.9 or 2.49 respectively (63 month vs 72mo term) you don't pay for the car twice like the old days.
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

We ended up going with a new 2013. Mrs. Clovis is quite happy.

congrats!
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Now you're planning the mods right? carbon fiber can, gut the airbox, block off the PAIR, etc?

1999 DR650SE

Used one will also have cheaper plate tabs.

Even so I go with new if you are keeping it till it dies. If your one of those type of people new can make sense.

Near-new (especially when you know the history, single-owner, no issues, etc.) is almost always a way better deal than a brand-new car. Unless you're gonna keep it forever and totally dream of owning a fresh new car with zero miles, I'd rather save the $6k! My vote is for the used one, unless your wifey really would be much happier in the brand new one, not sure why if they're the same exact model, features, style, etc.

I always go through this "head vs. heart vs. wallet" painful decisions. But for some reason my brain always wins! Guess I'll never own a new vehicle, you drive off the lot and you just burned like $4k cash in the trash. That's how my brain wins the fight everytime. The reason I bought an '08 R1 and not a new Bimmer, lol. Save $8k+? Yes please!
    Brain --> <-- Desire

<Edit> WTF? Pays to read the ENTIRE thread, not just the first few posts, lol. Oops, sorry. Congrats Justin & Mrs. Clovis!

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Congrats, Clovis! Now your wife and I need to go race our FXTs sometime...

She might appreciate this little blog about the car, even though the writeup is from 2008.
    http://www.carlustblog.com/2008/07/car-lust--subar.html
    '09 Duc Monster 696
    '00 Suz SV650 (Dad's, garaged with mine)
    I like mountains because they make me feel small.

Thanks guys

I forgot about the more expensive to register. Didn't take that into account. Oh well.

Pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    In case you didn't know, buying the wife a new car entitles you to special things, just like your birthday or staying in a hotel.

Jason
    07 600RR
    07 Speed Triple -[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)] [/COLOR]GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)][/COLOR]