Thread: WTF is: TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline?

Somewhere in the south suburbia of sprawl.

WTF is: TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline?

So in my preparation to get back on 2 soon I've been reading - A LOT - about how to ensure keeping engines running clean, etc, as best as possible with day to day type choices.

One thing I came across recently on a number of different sites as a suggestion was to be sure to run "TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline".

I remember with my Aprilia when I got it Dyno burned - the shop said to run 91 octane minimum. But - in reading on various sites and forums about stuff - they're not referring much to octane so much as this "TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline" stuff...

So my question is - since I'm guessing the CSC's own page on gas (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/local/highoctane.html) is WOEFULLY outdated (are any of the pages not on the forums updated anymore???) and doesn't refer to such a thing but to high octanes... can someone in the know talk to this stuff, and equally importantly, where to find it, how much it costs compared to say normal 91 octane, benefits / drawbacks, etc, etc, etc.
    ...Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Current Ride: 2005 Ducati ST3

Re: WTF is: TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline?

"Top Tier" generally refers to name-brand gasolines, like Conoco, Shell, etc. Top Tier gasolines are suppose to have better detergent packages than the gas sold at mom-and-pop shops, grocery stores, and the like.

It's not about the octane level, it's about the detergent package.

Higher octane isn't always better - most times it is just pissing away money.
    2005 Yamaha YZF-R6 (SOLD)
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    Stupidity should be painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Vess View Post
    "Top Tier" generally refers to name-brand gasolines, like Conoco, Shell, etc. Top Tier gasolines are suppose to have better detergent packages than the gas sold at mom-and-pop shops, grocery stores, and the like.

It's not about the octane level, it's about the detergent package.

Higher octane isn't always better - most times it is just pissing away money.
    So... basically buy 91 octane at Shell or such and all is well?
    ...Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Run the lowest octane you can get away with, w/o experiencing pre-det. It'll provide you with the best performance on a otherwise non-engine-modified sportbike.

I put 85 in Gemma and all the naturally aspirated vehicles I have, and none of them have ever had a problem with it. I do try to stay away from "off brand" stations, but they're few and far between anyway.

Higher octane fuels are intended for vehicles that are actually capable of taking advantage of it. TC/SC cars, etc.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Try the non-ethanol unleaded at Pynergy and Brad's Conoco. Your bike will like it.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Vance View Post
    So... basically buy 91 octane at Shell or such and all is well?
    Basically, but the octane you need will depend on the bike. Usually the lowest octane you can run without engine knock is best.

I typically run 87 from Conoco in my R6, except when it's really hot out then it's 91.

My Ninja 500 runs on 85 and would probably run fine on piss after a night of serious drinking.

The main thing you want is quality fuel with a decent detergent package.
    2005 Yamaha YZF-R6 (SOLD)
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    Stupidity should be painful.

Roger that ---

Thanks everyone for the information! It actually makes a bit of sense now!

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Remember Vance, that because of the altitude here, it basically replicates the same effect that higher octane fuel provides for people at or near sealevel.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Shell 91 ftw!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Vess View Post

My Ninja 500 runs on 85 and would probably run fine on piss after a night of serious drinking.
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

From the auto industry came out a few years ago, they update with new fuel stations in the list every year

A new class of fuel called TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is appearing at retail stations of some fuel marketers. This gasoline meets detergency standards developed by six automotive companies. All vehicles will benefit from using TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline over gasoline containing the “Lowest Additive Concentration” set by the EPA. Those vehicles that have experienced deposit related concerns may especially benefit from the use of TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.

(1)Intake valve: 10,000 miles with TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline(2)Intake valve: 10,000 miles with Legal Minimum additive

Gasoline Brands (U.S.) That Currently Meet TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Standards

As of July 1, 2012, all grades of the following gasoline brands meet the TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Standards:
    76 Stations

Aloha Petroleum

Chevron

Conoco

CountryMark

Entec Stations

Exxon

Hawaii Fueling Network (HFN)

Holiday Stationstores Inc.

Kwik Trip Kwik Star

MFA Oil Co.

Mileage Stations

Mobil

Ohana Fuels

Phillips 66

QuickTrip

Rebel Oil

Road Ranger

Severson Oil

Shell

Texaco

Tri-Par Oil Co.

U.S. Oil

What is TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline?

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is a new class of gasoline with enhanced detergency. It meets new, voluntary deposit control standards developed by six automotive companies that exceed the detergent requirements imposed by the EPA.
    Where Can TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Be Purchased?

The TOP TIER program began on May 3, 2004 and many fuel marketers have joined the program and have introduced TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline. This is a voluntary program and not all fuel marketers will offer this product. Once fuel marketers make public announcements, they will appear on a list of brands that meet the TOP TIER standards.
    Where Can I find the Latest Information on TOP TIER Fuel and Retailers?

On the web, please visit www.toptiergas.com for additional information and updated retailer lists.
    Who developed TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline standards?

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline standards were developed by six automotive companies: Audi, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota and Volkswagen.
    Why was TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline developed?

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline was developed to increase the level of detergent additive in gasoline. The EPA requires that all gasoline sold in the U.S. contain a detergent additive. However, the requirement is minimal and in many cases, is not sufficient to keep engines clean. In order to meet TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline standards, a higher level of detergent is needed than what is required by the EPA. Also, TOP TIER was developed to give fuel marketers the opportunity to differentiate their product.
    Why did the six automotive companies join together to develop TOP TIER?

All six corporations recognized the benefits to both the vehicle and the consumer. Also, joining together emphasized that low detergency is an issue of concern to several automotive companies.
    What are the benefits of TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline?

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline will help keep engines cleaner than gasoline containing the “Lowest Additive Concentration” set by the EPA. Clean engines help provide optimal fuel economy and performance and reduced emissions. Also, use of TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline will help reduce deposit related concerns.