Thread: Who's ready for Windows 8?

Who's ready for Windows 8?

Nathaniel
    13 DRZ400SM (mine) -- 08 CBR 600RR (wife's) -- 06 GSX-R 600 (sold)
    I don't always test my code, but when I do, I do it in production.

Re: Who's ready for Windows 8?

Win8 can fall in a well and die.

I'm quite happy with W7. I guess we'll see what W9 looks like....
    2016 Hyundai Veloster
    2007 SV650...NAKED!
    2007 MINI Cooper (sayonara, you piece of garbage)
    2002 Acura TL Type-S (Sold)
    2003 Triumph Speed Triple...NAKED! (DECEASED)
    2000 Suzuki SV650...NAKED! (DECEASED)
    2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)
    ~Kyle

]

I'll have to wait and see. I'm not running out to get this..... Just yet.

I'm SKIPPING this round, just like I completely skipped Vista, haha! XP still rules, imo! But I've slowly changed machines over to Win7 over the last couple years. Unless 8 has something really cool and special, I'll wait for 9.

Shit I'm still happy with XP on my work laptop, heh.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Ive had win8 since January-ish. It sucks balls. Better plug and play support though, only thing I liked.
    MRA Expert #880 - 2015 AmateurGTO Champion, 2013 NoviceGTU Champion
    2006 YZF-R6 Race "No name" - 2005 YZF-R6 Street "Aurora"
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Text: (72O) 432-7236

More motivation for me to play with Linux. Everything I've heard about 8 beta leads me to believe it's ME v2.0.

ETA: Still have a laptop running 95 in operation, and a couple of 98 machines. I have a complete set of install floppies for Win3.11 if anyone needs them.
    Last edited by TFOGGuys; Fri Oct 12th, 2012 at 12:28 PM.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Do'Urden View Post
    Win8 can fall in a well and die.

I'm quite happy with W7. I guess we'll see what W9 looks like....
    I agree I only just got Windows 7 last Christmas. I don't plan for a new PC for at least 5 more years...so I'll see what Windows 9 is about. I have never bought a new operating systems, I get them when I get a new PC ONLY.

I waited until it was officially released. I just installed Windows 8 Pro on my home PC and I love it. It has Hyper-V built in for Pro version (if your CPU can support it). I have 2 Win7 VM running on it, one for VPN for work and the other for VPN for downloads. All 3 can run at the same time. It's the next step, I think. Combining mobile (toy) and desktop (real world use) into one. It'll be more apparent when the full version tablets comes out (which can replace laptops). If you don't like the "Metro", you can always turn it off and be your regular desktop. I actually like the Metro side, they just need more apps for it.
    There's just so much potential, so much you can do with this OS platform. I hope they don't screw it up.
    Last edited by I`m Batman; Fri Oct 12th, 2012 at 03:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suki View Post
    ...i mean, sure maybe 4 inches isn't much to them, but it sure as hell is alot to me!

do i need W8 to get on csc? no... guess i dont need it. (unless it makes copy/paste pics possible lol)

Senior Member Yearly Supporter FZ1Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    More motivation for me to play with Linux. Everything I've heard about 8 beta leads me to believe it's ME v2.0.

ETA: Still have a laptop running 95 in operation, and a couple of 98 machines. I have a complete set of install floppies for Win3.11 if anyone needs them.
    Yea, you mean these kind?

Ridin' and Lovin' Life
    2007 Yamaha FZ1

UBUNTU!
    2016 Honda Africa Twin
    2015 Ducati Monster 1200s Stripe
    And Freakin' Old

I downloaded mine from dreamspark. It blows lol
    Steve
    08 yamaha Zuma 49cc
    Dirt: TBD
    Track: TBD
    I love bike shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by FZ1Guy View Post
    Yea, you mean these kind?

Nah, that's soooooo 1985. Mine are on 3.5s(7 of the bastards). I do still have a couple of 5 inch drives somewhere, just in case the medium makes a comeback...
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

For less than Windows 8, you can have a computer on a chip running Raspbian Linux.

The Raspberry Pi!!! Anyway, no thanks. It's usually a safe bet to skip every other iteration of Windows. Win7 here.

I actually played with Win8 last night at a friends house and it's just not very user friendly. If you had played with a tablet or a phone using the tiles I can maybe see getting a jump start on it, but I had NO idea what to do or where to go on Win 8. I will stick to my Win 7 as it works just fine. TransNone13 is correct, skip every other Win release and you're golden.
    Erich-
    2004 SV650S - 8K miles - SOLD
    2003 SV1000S - 15K miles - My new love!

I purchased the upgrade from Windows.com for $39.99. Since I purchased it from a 32 bit Windows 7 machine, it downloaded and installed Windows 8 32 bit. I had to call MS and get a link that allowed me download it from a Windows 7 64 bit machine (using my upgrade key). Kind of a PITA. Time to reinstall.

I got to play with the Microsoft Surface, and it was AMAZING. BEST TABLET EVER. Why? Because you can do actual work on it, it could actually replace your laptop.

I'm waiting for the pro....

Quote Originally Posted by laspariahs View Post
    I got to play with the Microsoft Surface, and it was AMAZING. BEST TABLET EVER. Why? Because you can do actual work on it, it could actually replace your laptop.

I'm waiting for the pro....
    That's what I'm saying. I'm waiting for Pro as well. I have my laptop docked to my TV and its like a giant tablet and its awesome. Multitasking is actually multitasking. I don't know what these people are complaining about. If people don't accept changes we'd still be using DOS. You can't expect OS to stay the same forever. Watch Apple do the same to their OS in the future. Can you imagine how much money they'll make if all their OS can purchase and run apps from their App Store? It's stupid for them not to follow Microsoft.

Microsoft have a lot more developers than Apple. The Apps counts should go up quickly.
    ...i mean, sure maybe 4 inches isn't much to them, but it sure as hell is alot to me!

Quote Originally Posted by I`m Batman View Post
    That's what I'm saying. I'm waiting for Pro as well. I have my laptop docked to my TV and its like a giant tablet and its awesome. Multitasking is actually multitasking. I don't know what these people are complaining about. If people don't accept changes we'd still be using DOS. You can't expect OS to stay the same forever. Watch Apple do the same to their OS in the future. Can you imagine how much money they'll make if all their OS can purchase and run apps from their App Store? It's stupid for them not to follow Microsoft.

Microsoft have a lot more developers than Apple. The Apps counts should go up quickly.
    Well, for a non touch enabled device, I wouldn't like the new interface, for a tablet it's awesome. I'm still not running out and getting 8 for my desktop. Plus I've heard bad things about multiscreen use, and I have 3 screens.... We'll see.

For a tablet I'm sold, even the RT is amazing. When I went to see it I expected just another toy tablet, but it's not, it's a real computer, with real office. Honestly iPad and all the rest, useless compared to this. Finally I believe that tablets can replace laptops. If the pro were out now, no doubt I'd own one.

I run multi-screen with my desktop at home and it's fine. I haven't upgrade my desktop at work yet that has 4 screens. My co-worker did and had no issues.
    The only thing that I may have an issue with is that the security on it is pretty tight. Even when you're an Admin. You'll have to run as Admin on some things so that it will run properly even after you turn your UAC all the way down. For me, as a developer, that could be annoying. But you can go change your registry setting and turn that off.

One step closer to holographic computing?
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by I`m Batman View Post
    I run multi-screen with my desktop at home and it's fine. I haven't upgrade my desktop at work yet that has 4 screens. My co-worker did and had no issues.
    The only thing that I may have an issue with is that the security on it is pretty tight. Even when you're an Admin. You'll have to run as Admin on some things so that it will run properly even after you turn your UAC all the way down. For me, as a developer, that could be annoying. But you can go change your registry setting and turn that off.
    Yeah, like I said, I'm not running out for it. We'll see. I'll upgrade if and when I need to.

I will probably get it for a HTPC and try it out, I have no intention of upgrading my desktop or laptop that I do work on before trying it out on something that isn't critical.

After getting used to it for a bit, I think I'll stay with 8 going forward.

One thing that does bother me, is when using multiple monitors, you can have the taskbar appear at the bottom of them; however, the notification area only appears on one. I would love for the clock to be on both screens....

Oh, and I love how fast the computer sleeps and wakes up.
    Nathaniel
    13 DRZ400SM (mine) -- 08 CBR 600RR (wife's) -- 06 GSX-R 600 (sold)
    I don't always test my code, but when I do, I do it in production.