Thread: Flight For Life

Flight For Life

Woodland Park, CO 717.B

Riding up to crash, guy no gear what so ever wads it into a tree. Hurt back, with sharp pain down his legs, and broken or fractured ankle. He was in so much pain he could barely roll to his side, but we made him do it himself so we would not HURT him more.

http://youtu.be/2CcF5u_XvnA?hd=1

Flight for Life Landing:
    http://youtu.be/be4w28NS0SE

So after this we head back up to the road. Cops are up there by this point trying to break into their running vehicle...LOL It seemed one of them left it running and keys in it. They used a baton to pry the door and a wire to hit the unlock button. A fellow rider in our group helped them.

They let us know about another crash they were heading too. Two motorcycles head on, on the trail. So we avoid going back the way we came to avoid that whole situation.

We still had a good ride.

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Re: Flight For Life

Was this yesterday?

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    Was this yesterday?
    Yes

Location of crash:
    http://goo.gl/maps/npzju

Around what time? Cornfed and myself were headed to County road 3 on the DRZ's at about 11:00am yesterday didn't see any helicopters though.

If I read the GPS points right 1:32pm, and we were then stopped for 3 hours.

Here is the tracks, right click and save-as:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6036376/GPX...shDayRoute.gpx

I swear I've seen this story somewhere before
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Gold Member

Umm. Why did you let him move at all?

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    Not our job...and we told him to stay put but he said the ground was causing pain, there are rocks and what not. We made him move himself on his side, he felt better then and said that was taking pressure of his lower back.

Maybe his buddies should of been more helpful? Again not our job to baby sit him, but we did. Non of us are trained, nor did we advise him to move. Most people in our group were 40's+.

Nice to see now we are going to get judged for "letting him move" on this site....LOL

This is too hard core of a group...I'm out of here. Want to say something nice then cool. Otherwise see you at ADVRider. I always regret sharing shit here.
    Last edited by modette99; Mon Oct 15th, 2012 at 12:42 PM.

Just a guess but sometimes when people in are in a lot of pain they say they feel like they are going to puke so its best to let them roll to thier side to the extent there body will let them in case they do.

Or lying on his back may have been putting a lot of weight somewhere it hurt the most and being on the side would relieve that weight.

From what I was taught as long as there is no neck injury and they can move themselves its best to let them move into a position that is more comfortable but make them do it themselves if there body lets them do it then there wont be any extensive damage, if they cannot do it there is a reason and they should not try or have someone do it for them.

I'm no expert just what ive been told and have experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by modette99 View Post
    Not our job...and we told him to stay put but he said the ground was causing pain, there are rocks and what not. We made him move himself on his side, he felt better then and said that was taking pressure of his lower back.

Maybe his buddies should of been more helpful? Again not our job to baby sit him, but we did. Non of us are trained, nor did we advise him to move. Most people in our group were 40's+.

Nice to see now we are going to get judged for "letting him move" on this site....LOL

This is too hard core of a group...I'm out of here. Want to say something nice then cool. Otherwise see you at ADVRider. I always regret sharing shit here.
    You did the right thing.

From what I was taught as long as there is no neck injury and they can move themselves its best to let them move into a position that is more comfortable but make them do it themselves if there body lets them do it then there wont be any extensive damage, if they cannot do it there is a reason and they should not try or have someone do it for them.
    Yep, this is what one of the guys in our group said being a PT. Hence why we were HANDS OFF. Plus in this day in age of lawsuits nope I'm not touching the guy if he is awake and just in pain. He had no life threatening injury, but was injured.

You did the right thing.
    Don't thank me...it was a collective effort of our group that was calm and as a whole we knew and made judgement calls what to do. Hid buddies not so much. In fact I don't know one thing they tried to do...other then their idea of "lets get the ATV so we can all him out". Plus the one buddy of his was a dick. "hey is your stomach hurt, get up"...when I start to really now think of it...he needs to ditch those friends.

#1Townie - sorry I jumped at your comment. It's just hindsight is always 20/20. Could of should of...I think our group did everything in a calm manor that lead to results of this young man getting out without his buddies tossing him on an ATV and moving him and possible causing more damage.
    Last edited by modette99; Mon Oct 15th, 2012 at 12:50 PM.

Gold Member

Who said anything about judging? Nice to see you cant ask a simple question without people getting fucking butt hurt.

You guys were 'lucky'. About six weeks ago, one of the guys I ride dirt with went over the bars up near Red Feather Lakes. He ended up breaking 3 vertebrae in his thoracic spine. (He is fine - no spinal cord problems - but he just came back to work today.) They were maybe 4 miles from where the trucks were parked in heavy woods. At first the ambulance crew didn't even want to drive to him and said they would have to call mountain rescue to walk him out. They were persuaded to drive in and pick him up, then they took him to a place that was clear enough to land the flight for life. Some people were camping near by and went and sat with him while others went for help. They ended up building a fire to keep him warm. Total time from the crash to getting on the helicopter - 8 hours. At least that guy crashed close to a landing area
    1989 Honda Hawk,2005 crf250x supermoto

It is better to communicate good information than to offer misinformation in the name of good communication. Alastair B Fraser

Who said anything about judging? Nice to see you cant ask a simple question without people getting fucking butt hurt.
    someone rang?

1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Good on ya for stopping and helping prevent them from doing more harm.

Everyone that rides (street OR dirt) should take a basic first aid course, IMHO.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    Good on ya for stopping and helping prevent them from doing more harm.

Everyone that rides (street OR dirt) should take a basic first aid course, IMHO.

+1 Doesn't hurt to take the Red Cross CPR course either its not that expensive and it could save a life.

What's the damage for a life flight like that? Seeing as it appears there areplenty of medics there which ads to the cost of all the manpower
    2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green

Gold Member

From what i have seen its 11k just for the takeoff and then 120 a mile. My buddy got a ride when he got shot and just the helo ride was 30k. Not cheap.

You did the right thing.
    +1, good for you Modette. Even without medical training, it sounds like you used common sense. Hope he turns out ok.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

From what i have seen its 11k just for the takeoff and then 120 a mile. My buddy got a ride when he got shot and just the helo ride was 30k. Not cheap.
    if you offer to pay cash, you can probably cash out for less than your insurance deductible.

1999 DR650SE

Quote Originally Posted by modette99 View Post
    They let us know about another crash they were heading too. Two motorcycles head on, on the trail. So we avoid going back the way we came to avoid that whole situation.
    My friend was involved in that one. The other rider involved also got a helicopter ride out on Sunday.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

^ Yep, seemed like it was a busy day for the authorities. The Lower Trout Creek trail Head was packed...so it was a given that Sunday would be bad.