Thread: Flight For Life

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Re: Flight For Life

Quote Originally Posted by modette99 View Post
    Not our job...and we told him to stay put but he said the ground was causing pain, there are rocks and what not. We made him move himself on his side, he felt better then and said that was taking pressure of his lower back.

Maybe his buddies should of been more helpful? Again not our job to baby sit him, but we did. Non of us are trained, nor did we advise him to move. Most people in our group were 40's+.

Nice to see now we are going to get judged for "letting him move" on this site....LOL

This is too hard core of a group...I'm out of here. Want to say something nice then cool. Otherwise see you at ADVRider. I always regret sharing shit here.
    You did the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    You did the right thing.
    Don't thank me...it was a collective effort of our group that was calm and as a whole we knew and made judgement calls what to do. Hid buddies not so much. In fact I don't know one thing they tried to do...other then their idea of "lets get the ATV so we can all him out". Plus the one buddy of his was a dick. "hey is your stomach hurt, get up"...when I start to really now think of it...he needs to ditch those friends.

#1Townie - sorry I jumped at your comment. It's just hindsight is always 20/20. Could of should of...I think our group did everything in a calm manor that lead to results of this young man getting out without his buddies tossing him on an ATV and moving him and possible causing more damage.
    Last edited by modette99; Mon Oct 15th, 2012 at 12:50 PM.

You guys were 'lucky'. About six weeks ago, one of the guys I ride dirt with went over the bars up near Red Feather Lakes. He ended up breaking 3 vertebrae in his thoracic spine. (He is fine - no spinal cord problems - but he just came back to work today.) They were maybe 4 miles from where the trucks were parked in heavy woods. At first the ambulance crew didn't even want to drive to him and said they would have to call mountain rescue to walk him out. They were persuaded to drive in and pick him up, then they took him to a place that was clear enough to land the flight for life. Some people were camping near by and went and sat with him while others went for help. They ended up building a fire to keep him warm. Total time from the crash to getting on the helicopter - 8 hours. At least that guy crashed close to a landing area
    1989 Honda Hawk,2005 crf250x supermoto

It is better to communicate good information than to offer misinformation in the name of good communication. Alastair B Fraser

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    You did the right thing.
    +1, good for you Modette. Even without medical training, it sounds like you used common sense. Hope he turns out ok.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.