Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Upgraded a little, BMW S1000RR

Re: Upgraded a little, BMW S1000RR

Cross post for answer:

Quote Originally Posted by ATL View Post
    Hey Aaron... I'm not on the boards much these days anymore (as I've moved ) but I wanted to (publicly, rather than PM) ask you how you like your S1KRR overall?

Do you feel can truly enjoy it in public (on surface streets, hwy, canyons, etc)?
    At what type of temperament do you most frequently ride (calm cruising, sporty commuter, hypersport canyon carving, track monster)?
    Do you think your riding style lends itself to that bike?
    What electronic setting do you must frequently find yourself riding with?
    If you could do it all again, would you purchase the S1KRR or would you have gone with something else (hindsight being 20-20)?
    Do you feel you get your money's worth out of that bike?
    If you found one with the color and options you like, what would you expect to pay for a used one (in good condition)?
    Are there major differences in the years of production so far? Any option/pkg/year to avoid?

The reason I ask is I am considering upgrading to the S1KRR, however I currently have a flawless '03 R6 which is still plenty fast for my purposes and riding style... (weekend hypersport canyon rider, no track-time yet), but I'm finding myself wanting MORE and MORE.

I just so happened to befriend the local master tech of S1KRR's where I'm currently living and he says he's heard many differing opinions from owners who've had their bikes for a while now.

I'd really like you to opine!
    Care to share?
    -Chris
    (77O-six55-3O35) '03 R6 (new baby) / '03 SV650 (sold) Almond Imaging Photography

Looks like Aaron should move to CA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfP5Crh_QYA

No way you are out running the CHP on that bike. When I was driving from San Diego to Fresno back in April I saw CHPs splitting lanes at 80+, even when going through curves they would split two cars.

Jason
    07 600RR
    07 Speed Triple -[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)] [/COLOR]GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by ATL View Post
    Cross post for answer:

Care to share?
    -Chris
    Hey Chris,
    As an owner as well I will take a stab at your questions with the caveat that all bikes are personal in nature so opinions may vary.

Do you feel can truly enjoy it in public (on surface streets, hwy, canyons, etc)? Yes. It’s a comfortable bike and I have enjoyed everything from spirited canyon rides to sport touring. Investing in a HARD system (radar) will save you on any bike but the higher the HP the more you need it.

At what type of temperament do you most frequently ride (calm cruising, sporty commuter, hypersport canyon carving, track monster)? I have 22,000 miles on mine. Its been to the track a dozen times, toured half way around the country and gets ridden every week during the summer.

Do you think your riding style lends itself to that bike? Personally, I enjoy the inline 4 and the quality of the bike matters to me.

What electronic setting do you must frequently find yourself riding with? I am almost exclusively in Sport mode. That’s full power with the most electronic intervention. I am not trying to squeeze every second off my lap time so I don’t mind the intervention. Wheelie control is almost a necessity with this thing as it will pull the front wheel at any point without it.

If you could do it all again, would you purchase the S1KRR or would you have gone with something else (hindsight being 20-20)? I would buy it again easily. As mentioned, it has 22K on it and the performance has been great. Customer service has also been great.

Do you feel you get your money's worth out of that bike? Yes

If you found one with the color and options you like, what would you expect to pay for a used one (in good condition)? Depends on the year and miles.

Are there major differences in the years of production so far? Any option/pkg/year to avoid? The 2012 and 13 have more features than the prior years, specifically heated grips. Also, there are versions out there without TC or ABS. Its personal opinion, but if I am going to pay that much for such a fine machine I am going to pay a few bucks extra and get every option I can.

Here is a good ride report for you on the bike if your interested.
    http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...highlight=6600
    Owner and General Manager - Fun Center Cycles in Durango, CO

11 BMW S1000RR - Street - Lady on the street
    13 Kawi ZX6R - Track - Freak in the bed
    13 Triumph Daytona 675R - Wifes bike

2014 MRA 400 Production Class Champion

New mods: Factory Pro shift spring, means quicker more firm shifts. Nearly $1000 and this bike just about shifts perfectly for my tastes 😳 Also have HID projectors in and running, absolutely love them.

I seriously love my S1000RR. Having bought it once, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. And I'd still skip the HP4, I just don't see $10,000 in upgrades there. My riding improved drastically just getting on my RR. I never felt comfortable or confident on my SV, it just always felt at the limit to me, even though it was no where close. It was a good bike, just never felt like the perfect vagina for my schlong. The RR, is on the other hand. It's comfortable enough to ride distance on (With the bars and seat), and will still tear up a track. I do mostly sport commuting, and I leave the bike in Sport mode like Matrix. I was using Race for a while, but the front wheel came up high enough to scare me once or twice, and I stepped the rear wheel out on my last ride enough to scare me. Not that I can't handle that, but when it's unexpected it'll get your heart going, and if the bike can prevent that why not let it?

So far my only problems in 2,000 miles have been the excess lube used on the water pump "leaking" off, as in getting blown off, and a burned out marker light bulb.

I absolutely love it. I love the power, although it's got so much that it's useless on the street. I don't think I have, or will, ever open it up on a city street it's that fast. You just can't see far enough ahead of you to even redline first. The handling is just phenominal. It feels like the bike just wants to fall over and MotoGP it through every turn.

My only complaints are the headlights and transmission. A $17,000 bike, and a Kia gets better headlights. The trans is great, just shifts like shit. A set of rearsets that I customized and a FP shift spring and it's just about perfect. But that's $1000 on top of one of the most expensive bikes you can buy.

I wouldn't have chosen another bike. The only real competition for me was the Panigale. But it has sketchy reliability, and has consistently dynoed 30bhp less than advertised.

The 12-13 are generally regarded as the ones to get. A slightly hanged wheelbase helped handling, aerodynamics improved slightly, and heated grips (Which are amazing). I'd pay more for TC and ABS, although I can handle not having them, it's nice to and I've used both inadvertently.

As for prices used, I have no idea.

This is at the top of my list of (new-ish) bikes to pick up next season. Cool to see you documenting all the mods!
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Ditto. This will most likely be my next bike after I tire of the R1. Unless I get into racing and pick up a race bike. I ain't rich dammit!
    2006 R1 "Raven"

Just don't get the same color as me fegh!
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Mine'll be black. You can get this weird green one.

2006 R1 "Raven"

Senior Member Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I love the power, although it's got so much that it's useless on the street. I don't think I have, or will, ever open it up on a city street it's that fast.

I wouldn't have chosen another bike. The only real competition for me was the Panigale. But it has sketchy reliability, and has consistently dynoed 30bhp less than advertised.

He scratches his head because he knows not what it's like to twist the throttle and have 193hp on tap. It makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty.

Senior Member Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    He scratches his head because he knows not what it's like to twist the throttle and have 193hp on tap. It makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty.
    The scratching comes from difficulty understanding the logic about not choosing a bike because it doesn't have enough horsepower, then crying that the bike he chose has too much and doesn't dare use it all.