Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Upgraded a little, BMW S1000RR

Re: Upgraded a little, BMW S1000RR

We're going tomorrow, go to the dirty south section!

I'm not even in the state and I'm tracking...

I know Clovisey is going to yell at me, but I'm having trouble choosing what gear to get. It's all expensive, and I'm fairly particular. I want it to match, aside from the jacket which must be leather and neon yellow over the majority of it. AStar has nothing. I don't want to buy pants or boots without size testing first, and the shops near me don't carry nice gear because it's "expensive."

So for the time being I stuck with ordering parts

Yoshimura fender eliminator en route, as is a Puid dark smoke double bubble windscreen. Much better wind protection, good color, and weighs 1/3 the stock unit.

Today I disabled the exhaust valve, which closes in lower RPM to quite the bike down. To disable it you simply remove the 2 cables which run from the valve up to under the seat where the servo is. Made it a bit louder and a nice change in tone at lower RPM, and I lost the weight of the two 24" cables. Tomorrow I'll be removing the horn, I've never honked the horn on any bike I've ever owned and this one is worthlessly quiet anyways.

I tried to order a Sargent seat, but held back when I saw it's $320 plus s/h. Found one place doing a group buy, but only on the 1st gen seats. I'll wait.

A few updates, but no pictures yet.

The fender eliminator and wind screen are on. The Sargent seat is on the way. Next up is a set of 55w 5000k HID bulbs and some LED marker lights.

I got a pair of A* gloves, they are a tad small though. Also ordered a new helmet today, I chose the Bell Carbon Star along with an auto-dimming screen.

Bike is doing well. It's downright terrifying how quickly it puts distance behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    Congrats! that's my next bike...
    +1, just can't decide between black & the Motorsports red/white/blue.

I hate you too Aaron, lol! Congrats! Is the winter the best time to buy BRAND NEW bikes? Or pretty much with popular upscale models like this, the pricing never really fluctuates much?
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

I actually had the choice of gray, black, or the red/white/blue. I don't like the black ones at all, am not a big fan of black vehicles across the board in fact, so that was out. The r/w/b one was a 2012 and actually costed more than my 2013 because a few of the options became standard for 13. The gray bike just seemed to look a lot better to me than the other two. Pike's Peak Motorsports out on Powers has a black 2013, and a r/w/b 2012.

I don't think prices are going to fluctuate much, and every BMW dealer has them listed at the same price. I'm sure each dealer can budge different amounts in price, but you're probably talking fairly small differences in the long run.

I love black on everything (my car/truck are both black). With motorcycles I LOVE black too, but the night visibility thing (from all the BLIND idiots out there) is what scares me. Feel like with a black bike I'm only adding to my danger, even though black bikes are hot as shit, (as is your gray one).
    Last edited by Ghosty; Fri Nov 9th, 2012 at 10:28 AM.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Got my new Bell Carbon Star helmet in, if you look closely you can see the carbon fiber

I put in my helmet speakers, and now I'm looking for a helmet Mohawk. The helmet fits great and I love the way it looks. I ordered it with the auto-tinting photo chromatic windscreen, I'm looking forward to seeing how well it works.

A mohawk...seriously?
    John
    KTM Duke 690

I figured I'd get made fun of for it

But ya, I've always thought they looked cool so I finally decided to get one. Flame on!

Yeah... You were doing so well with the bike and helmet, and now your stock is dropping, gonna call you Aapple instead
    It's a celebration bitches!!! - RIP 502

Motos:
    2003 SV1000N - Dual Yosh RS3 CF Exhaust ••••• 09' Aprilia SR50 (Wife's) ••••• 93' ZX-11 - Sold after 43k Miles
    Cars:
    08' Audi S5 6MT •••• 10' VW TDI Cup Edition 6MT •••• 02' VW TDI Beetle 5MT •••• 07' Ford Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    The r/w/b one was a 2012 and actually costed more than my 2013 because a few of the options became standard for 13.
    Interesting, wonder which options. I love the black (with blue BMW logo). I know the Motorsports R/W/B use to be like a $750 option, on top of everything else. Wonder how much the price on 2013's went up, over the 2012...

Won't flame you on the mohawk, but not my thing.

Got my new Bell Carbon Star helmet in, if you look closely you can see the carbon fiber

I put in my helmet speakers, and now I'm looking for a helmet Mohawk. The helmet fits great and I love the way it looks. I ordered it with the auto-tinting photo chromatic windscreen, I'm looking forward to seeing how well it works.

Ouch...

Quote Originally Posted by TransNone13 View Post
    Ouch...

Get this helmet instead of the mohawk:

I think the mohawk will be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Interesting, wonder which options. I love the black (with blue BMW logo). I know the Motorsports R/W/B use to be like a $750 option, on top of everything else. Wonder how much the price on 2013's went up, over the 2012...

Won't flame you on the mohawk, but not my thing.
    It was either the quick-shifter, heated grips, or ABS. One of them was an option in 2012, but standard for the 13. The base price of both years is the same though, BMW didn't raise the 13s price at all. In fact it wet down as one option became standard. They're the same bike, no changes other than colors.

I take it no one is a fan of the helmet Mohawk. Ahh well I like it and that's what counts! It was between that and squidding it up with a cowboy hat.

You need an Icon vest to go with the mohawk.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Is the Mohawk going to be rainbow colored?
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

no mohawk please
    -Ryan

I take it no one is a fan of the helmet Mohawk. Ahh well I like it and that's what counts! It was between that and squidding it up with a cowboy hat.
    Last edited by Bueller; Thu Nov 15th, 2012 at 06:04 PM.

Removed the helmet mohawk, and spent a metric shitton of money in preparation for the Devil's Spine ride this summer.

I had my best friend, and one of the smartest people I know, customize my rearsets. I never liked the shift action with them, so we fixed that. 9 hours in the garage and we managed to move pivot points by an inch or so, and it made all the difference in the world. The bike shifts phenomenally well.

Sargent seat is in, and it helped a lot. It looks sweet, feels great, and eliminates the problems of the stock seat.

Added Helibars too. Fairly easy install, and they definitely help the wrists over long rides.

Throttlemeister throttle lock for the long highway trips.

Put in a Shorai LIon battery. Amazing how light it is.

I'm quite happy with the bike as it is, and don't see doing anything else to it in the near future, as my next mods are very expensive. First will be a custom dual HID Projector install, and after that a full titanium exhaust.

You know that's the thing that should come available from factory with these expensive ass bikes is 4300k D2S HID lights, can't believe they come with some cheap ass halogen bulbs. Proper lighting is also part of safety, not just ABS, TCS, wheelie control and all that other crap bikes have these days.