Thread: power commander?

power commander?

I have been looking around for performance mods for motorcycles and have noticed that there is a power commander for most models and was wondering if it is just like a performance chip for cars or how it works? Also in addition to the power commander if it is worth the money what are some other good mods for added performance? K and N and exhaust?

Re: power commander?

A basic power commander, for example a PC-III, is just an onboard module that gets plugged into your wiring harness that allows you to load different fuel maps through their software and a laptop. So you have to have a fuel injected bike for this to work (sorry, not sure what you ride). The main advantage of this is so you can adjust your fuel delivery to compensate for other after market parts being added to the bike. (i.e. an aftermarket exhaust and/or air filter).
    2004 GSXR 1000 (Street)
    2001 GSXR 750 (Race)

This might help too:

http://www.powercommander.com/
    2004 GSXR 1000 (Street)
    2001 GSXR 750 (Race)

Quote Originally Posted by blownlt1";p="230189
    ...was wondering if it is just like a performance chip for cars or how it works? Also in addition to the power commander if it is worth the money what are some other good mods for added performance? K and N and exhaust?
    It was a night & day difference on my bike, 2003 R1, and I don't even have a custom map yet.

1. You can degree your cams for some more kick and it's cheap too.
    2. Velocity stacks.
    3. Obviously, lower gearing.

How crazy ya wantin' to get?
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

I was mainly just curious what it did for the most part. So motorcycle's are more sensitive than a car in the way the tuning has to be done i take it? In the way that you have to tune just for adding an air filter? And if it is carbed do you have to jet the bike since you couldn't use the power commander? Also just to get a general idea what bikes started using FI at what years?

Quote Originally Posted by blownlt1";p="230221
    I was mainly just curious what it did for the most part.
    A Power Commander PCIII only remaps the fuel curve/delivery to the injectors.

So motorcycle's are more sensitive than a car in the way the tuning has to be done i take it?In the way that you have to tune just for adding an air filter?
    There's nothing different about technique. (i.e. how ya tune it) A motorcycle wieghs less and 1h.p. is still 1 h.p. so, you feal small h.p. changes easier. You don't have to retune for an aftermarket air filter. Some exhausts you do.

And if it is carbed do you have to jet the bike since you couldn't use the power commander?
    Yup, jetting changes the metering of fuel to a carb. Electronics do it on fuel injection.

Also just to get a general idea what bikes started using FI at what years?
    I only know our two. R1 started in 2002. R6 in 2003.
    Kim & Dean

GSXR-750 in 2000
    GSXR-600 and GSXR-1000 in 2001

Also just to clarify, like Dean said, changing you air filter alone won't cause you to need to remap your FI. Neither will changing your exhaust alone cause that, the Power Commander just lets you get them most out of the other performance parts you put on, powercommander.com has a bunch of different maps for different bikes that take into account some of the different aftermarket combinations you can put on a bike.
    2004 GSXR 1000 (Street)
    2001 GSXR 750 (Race)

THat is very good info to know. Any idea when honda started FI?

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

2001 is the first year for the CBR F4i before that the F4 was carbs. I think the VFR had FI before that, but not sure of the year.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GSXR-ATW";p="230246
    GSXR-750 in 2000
    GSXR-600 and GSXR-1000 in 2001
    Actually, the 750 Gixxer went to FI in 1998.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

That is really good to know as I am not really able to afford a real new bike and I was actually looking around the 1997 and 1998 range. I did find a 1994 honda 900rr that was pretty sweet and it wasn't too pricey. Plus I am only 24 so I am looking to keep the insurance down.

Insurance isn't really that bad unless you want full coverage, I pay $225 a year for my 04 gsxr 1000 and I'm only 22.
    2004 GSXR 1000 (Street)
    2001 GSXR 750 (Race)

And I am assuming you also aren't financing the bike? That is the problem I was running into with getting a newer bike is that I would have to finance it and then in turn would have to put full coverage on it.

Quote Originally Posted by blownlt1";p="230318
    And I am assuming you also aren't financing the bike? That is the problem I was running into with getting a newer bike is that I would have to finance it and then in turn would have to put full coverage on it.
    When I bought our bikes I paid cash but, was told if the financing wasn't over $10,000 I wouldn't have to provide full coverage. Check with your insurance company.
    Kim & Dean

what insurance company are you through?

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by blownlt1";p="230318
    The 900RR is a good bike to be sure. If you have some riding experience then it's not a bad choice, if not it may be a lot of bike for a first go. The 900 RR could really be a handful, it had a pretty short wheelbase and a bunch of power.

One trick to keeping the insurance down is to stick with 750s or smaller. As you get near the liter mark the insurance increases. I pay about $250 a year full coverage on a Duc 748. The bike is paid for, but the coverage is the same as if I had it financed. The older bikes will also be cheaper to title and register.

Quote Originally Posted by blownlt1";p="230384
    what insurance company are you through?
    State Farm. I've heard they're pretty expensive if you're younger. Since we're older, married, and have everything we own (2 trucks, 2 bikes, boat, house) insured with them, we get a screamin' break.
    Kim & Dean

I just turned 24 in July. I also just had a baby in June. Maybe they will give me a break? LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blownlt1";p="230392
    I just turned 24 in July. I also just had a baby in June. Maybe they will give me a break? LOL!!!
    25 is the first age break for males. You're almost there. Maybe it doesn't come into play if you're married.
    Kim & Dean

That is what I have heard. Didn't know if it would change things since I have a kid now or not. I will have to see if I can get a hold of state farm and see what they would charge for insurance.

1948-2011 - R.I.P. Lifetime Supporter Scruff Dog's Avatar

If you decide to purchase a power commander, your best bet is to have a custom map done by a highly qualified tech with a modern day dyno.
    2004 Aprilia RSVR Factory
    2005 Yamaha R1
    2001 Corvette Z06