Thread: bigger motor in a 600 chassis?

bigger motor in a 600 chassis?

Just curious if there are some models of motorcycles that you can swap the 600cc motor for oh say a 750cc motor or comething and just do a direct swap and not have to worry about much else? My thinking was getting a 600cc bike and putting a 750cc motor in it and insuring it as a 600cc bike?

Well since the only 750's left are the ZX-7 (and I think it's a goner now too) and a GSXR your choices are pretty narrowed down to start.
    The Gixxer swap should be fairly straight forward since the chassis are very similar.
    I know the "thing" to do with ZX-7's was to put a ZX-9 engine in one.

The thing you have to ask yourself is...
    Is it really worth the time and effort and will the insurance be that much cheaper than just getting a 750 or 1000?
    The bikes nowadays are pretty sweet the way their designed from the factory and it's not like the 70's, 80's and early 90's when you could (with some aftermarket help) improve the bike immensely.
    Eric
    CSBA#477
    00 Triumph Sprint RS
    www.cocsba.com

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Re: bigger motor in a 600 chassis?

Also,

I've had 4 insurance companies over the course of owning motorcycles (12-15 years) and all of them insure 600's and 750's in the same group. The 1000CC bikes were in a higher class.

Check with your insurance company and see if doing all of this additional work will actually save you any money at all, I'm guessing not.

I had an FZR 400 for a period of time and I know the FZR 600 engine was a direct bolt in, and the YZF 600 engine could be installed with minor modifications. I currently own a duc 748 and I know the 916-996 engine is a direct bolt in. So it is possible with some bikes, the question is "is it worth it for me?"

Have a good one

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar
    seems like a lot of money to spend (a new engine) to save a few bucks on ins.

Definitely call the ins company first and find out what the price difference is before you go off buying a bike and a bigger motor to stuff in it.

If you just want to do it for the hell of it, I say go for it, but if you're doing it to save money I think you're just going to waste a lot of it.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski