Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Walking Dead Season 3

Senior Member Moderator

Re: Walking Dead Season 3

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    In theory yeah...... in reality no way. But i would have been rampaging in a some sort of apc or tank long ago. Thats one thing i dont get about this show. There is a shit load of military equipment left behind. The episode at the cdc is a perfect example. Fuel? Its diesel. Not that hard to work in a substitute.
    Considering that the zombies in this show are slow, and attracted to light and sound, my first thought was to find a large quarry, fire up a generator, crank up a stereo and wait for it to fill up. Once full, start tossing in the dynamite, or if you're feeling particularly morbid, plow them over with a front-end loader. Rinse and repeat. End of story.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drano View Post
    Considering that the zombies in this show are slow, and attracted to light and sound, my first thought was to find a large quarry, fire up a generator, crank up a stereo and wait for it to fill up. Once full, start tossing in the dynamite, or if you're feeling particularly morbid, plow them over with a front-end loader. Rinse and repeat. End of story.
    That a awesome idea.

Fire!!!!!
    "I busted the Star Trek Enterprise's ass from a warp 6 roll.. had about 10 lightyears on it when i got out of it. Captain Picard still talks **** though... says he needs some dyno time."

I watch this show and just think of non-ammo using traps to behead zombies
    I have no idea what you're talking about.

Gold Member

Spike pits and traps? Yeah aomething to at least demobilize them.

Somewhere in the south suburbia of sprawl.

Yes - establishing a sound generating distraction (thumpers from Dune? aka - ricer blinge-mobiles with their subwoofers) would make for brilliant ways to throw off the herds. The only problem is disposing then of said gathered herds. Explosives are a bad idea because...

Quote Originally Posted by Cataract2 View Post
    Fire!!!!!
    Fire doesn't really stop them until they're burned to the brain... they'll just keep coming. Therein, a burning zombie can be even more dangerous to your locale than a regular one.

Spike pits and traps? Yeah aomething to at least demobilize them.
    Pit traps are a VERY good notion --- it'll be the problem of getting a backhoe to dig them and maintain security while you work that will be the problem as the big machinery makes a LOT of noise...

However --- a good battle plan of locations, with proper supplies and/or hunting opportunity --- and you can dig in for years to re-establish yourself a nice functional community of survivors free of the hordes.

Personally - I have both an urban and remote locale battle plans, with a growing list of personnel I'd like to have along, and respective "smash and grab" assignments based on their knowledge, talents, existing supplies, vehicle(s) and locations across town with multiple alternative paths to get to both for all respective spread personnel comparative to the hunker down spots.
    ...Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Current Ride: 2005 Ducati ST3

Gold Member

They are not that hard to find if you know where to look. Any new house development has its fair share of equipment. They are not hard to hot wire and if you are like me you already have keys for them. Sure you would need to secure them but that cane be done easily enough with some welding. Hell fortified cab would make the backhoe one hell of a zombie tool. Damn things are nearly impossible to get stuck and can cross some serious terrain if you know how to use them. Hell you get one of those loaders from a junk yard and you dont even have to worry about flat tires. Even the little skids would be very handy. Getting just a few of those going for a few hours could lead to a massive moat around a camp.

I had plans to get myself out of co incase of tons of things and it involved a convoy of many things including self loading tow trucks. This will come in handy for blocked roads or break downs in bad places. When it comes to a zombie deal i would go out of my way to get a tank. I dont care how many zombies are there they cant rock a tank.

Also i would be finding left behind trucks. All trucks. You never know what you could find inside a load.

You never know what you could find inside a load.

Oh really now?

Lol just messing with ya. But yeah I have a few plans as well. What is funny to me is that most people who do have plans have no idea how to actually implement them, or what it will take to implement them. A few friends of mine have plans that they swear will be easy to implement, but will actually take months of hard work out in the open.
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

Quote Originally Posted by Wrider View Post

Oh really now?

Lol just messing with ya. But yeah I have a few plans as well. What is funny to me is that most people who do have plans have no idea how to actually implement them, or what it will take to implement them. A few friends of mine have plans that they swear will be easy to implement, but will actually take months of hard work out in the open.
    Honestly I think if your survival plan requires months of hard labor to bring to fruition in the midst of a Zed plague - you might want to rethink your plan.

In my humble opinion - you should have a plan that you can execute in less than 12 hours to achieve initial maximum security first --- then from there you can expand out to create a wider and wider security net --- but only after you get yourself into a defensible hardened location(s) - or a remote enough site that while it might not be hardened, it it absolutely isolated enough to be defensible from all sides from attack by both the living and the zed.

I find my a massively significant obstacle as I work on my plans, thinking as a project manager worried about risk management and mitigation, is technology. That is - not the fact that most likely technology will fall at some point as power grids go out, etc... but the ability to send the TORA, TORA, TORA alert out to my network. I can do it via text easily enough - but if the cell towers are totally jammed with panic - the key will be for my selected crew to recognize what's going on and engage without the GO notification.

As perhaps the biggest "human" factor to my two variations is having the right people with me who have that initial "moral flexibility" to do what it's going to take to engage the plans... not just the necessary grand theft aspects (when the world is falling apart I don't think that will bug too many people if it means the difference between being alive and being food themselves) - but the more direct issues of outright, no gentle way to put it really, execution of those that stand in the way of the success of the plan - which unfortunately may be absolutely necessary.

In the grande scope of things I think I have the right people, or candidates in the wings still to be approached, for such a necessary action on both my urban and rural plans.

Of course the single BIGGEST issue will be that this isn't NY, or LA... the odds of mass panic hitting the streets of Denver or anywhere on the front range unless the outbreak hit here fast and hard is very low --- so technically any GO order would mean the actions in the battle plan ARE grande theft and potentially murder on a potentially large scale, as well as the occupation and seizure of properties / businesses --- and even likely a siege situation by SWAT units until the panic hit the area (and then they begged to join us! ). That to me means the logical plan is to engage the rural plan and stage it (gather everyone, a little bit of grande theft, then get within striking distance of the rural location) - but not execute the seizure aspect until the information networks confirm panic actually is seeping into the region. THEN make the move, well in advance of the panic actually reaching the remote area.
    Last edited by Vance; Wed Nov 21st, 2012 at 08:31 AM.
    ...Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

I'm amazed at how much thought you (all) have put into killing zombies, lol.
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Gold Member

Bro if you are prepared for zombies you are prepared for anything. Dont you keep up with the cdc?? Lol

oh hell i do...cant wait til my next door neighbor turns into a zombie..

Gold Member

Just say he was trying to eat your face off and he left you no choice. Hes coming right for us! (Southpark)

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    I'm amazed at how much thought you (all) have put into killing zombies, lol.
    Would it make sense if I said that making and adjusting my plan helps keep me sane?

Gold Member

Im not going to lie i know i have issues.

W...T...F!!!

Great episode, semi cliff hanger following by

The Walking Dead returns in FEBRUARY!?!?!

ARARRAGGGGGGADFADFAWEDF
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    W...T...F!!!

Great episode, semi cliff hanger following by

The Walking Dead returns in FEBRUARY!?!?!

ARARRAGGGGGGADFADFAWEDF
    Yeah... right about there you have to figure that with everything Andrea has just seen, especially the VERY end there, one would think she's going to piece things together and she's not going to be shackin' up and hump'n the ol' Guv'nor much longer (unless of course her self esteem has gone to shit and she really is that dense of a character now).

Pity though... bastard still has his hand.

Sidebar note: I'd love to know who's consulting on the show for Michonne's character. They taught her well on how to handle a long blade. That was a beautifully controlled classic close range standoff posture I didn't learn until a good year into the art as a esophageal threat posture / attack move.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance View Post
    Honestly I think if your survival plan requires months of hard labor to bring to fruition in the midst of a Zed plague - you might want to rethink your plan.

In my humble opinion - you should have a plan that you can execute in less than 12 hours to achieve initial maximum security first --- then from there you can expand out to create a wider and wider security net --- but only after you get yourself into a defensible hardened location(s) - or a remote enough site that while it might not be hardened, it it absolutely isolated enough to be defensible from all sides from attack by both the living and the zed.
    That's my opinion too. First secure, then evac.
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

Can't image the mess that would make. With well set in decomp and a couple quarter sticks to spread out the bang.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Why bother blowing them up?
    Set the stereo up in a quarry pit, or some other construction zone sufficiently away from home base... equip the stereo up with a solar array for power --- battery backup for nighttime (recharged by the array during the day)... crank that bitch up to 11... (don't forget to build a fence around the thing so they don't bash the speakers and such in)

Just let them gather.

Then for fun, and practice, every now and again you can gear up with your leathers and helmet (SAFETY FIRST!!!) , grab your finely sharpened katana, and practice the newly revived art of scalping of zeds. Practice makes perfect - so work from the outer perimeter of the gathering herd on a daily basis to cull said herd so as to not overflow the locale.

From there - whoever isn't on practice duty can just point the recon unit the other way and scavenge any items not in the hardened locale.

Gold Member

Yeah some heavy equipment would really put a dent in the numbers of the undead army. But really i dont understand the idea that those slow movers would be able to survive for long. With the amount of guns in this country on the civilian side alone no way would this be able to take out the world. I mean just two hummers with a couple of 50 cals bursting into a crowd of zombies would be devastating. You dont need to head shot when the body is blown apart.

My plans have nothing to do with travel. Im no longer in a large city so i will have tons of time to fortify where im at and start planning raids on Costco and Walmart. I would just reinforce my pad. Start with the house and then garage. Once thats done then the property. Ince thats done mods to the trucks should be done to keep out the horde. After the dust settles a bit then time to scavenge and keep reinforcing the property and structures. Trenches and super reinforced fences along with towers for a good view.

Eventually i will even have my last resort plans. Maybe if zombies manage to overrun the fortifications i would go to my underground bunker and wait them out. Most likely they wont be able to beat my fortifications but rauders would more then be a legitimate risk. If pushed back to las resort boom i would gladly set off a large demo to kill them but more importantly make enough noise that it attracted the undead.

Things i would look for quickly would be heavy equipment. Bags of concrete. Lumber. I think what a lot of people forget is that homes are made with many materials you will need. You could fortify a house and gut the insides. If there is a attached garage you can back a truck unto the garage and close the garage and start stripping interior walls.

Chain link fencing would also be high on the list. Chain link can be used to do more then just make fences. Trucks cabs can be reinforced with it to keep out your biting foes. Just think if you had a heated cab on a backhoe or front end loader. Hell even a little skid with a fortified cab could be extremely handy.

A self loading tow truck would be a must. These have the controls in the cab already. You can snag cars in seconds to bring back to the compound for stripping. Also the lifts make quick grabbing of other things.

After enough time with earth movers you coukd have some seriously impressive walls. Just think what you could do with a couple tons of concrete.

Sorry i was just bored and decided to throw some ideas out there.

I'm much more inclined to keep my battle plans quiet for two reasons:

1. The detailing of specific item gathering, stores they would go to for such things, etc is just that - excessively detailed.

2. My urban location of choice is quite specific because of it's seeming remoteness even in the midst of the urban setting, but simultaneously not, and perfect correlation to its direct neighboring business which - when both are taken and a makeshift battle wall created with a simple setup of semi trailers to start and sandbags under - combine to form what could equate to a EXTRAORDINARILY defensible location and relatively prolonged sustainability location all at the same time - from both zeds and marauders...

Plus just across the street in 3 different directions lies multiple other businesses that could expand sustainability ten fold in regards to fuel, clothing shelter, weaponry, and much more. The only thing legitimately missing from within a 1 mile radius raiding wise is what I would consider an appropriate anti-zombie clothing location... but there is one approximately 3 miles away.

2b. My remote location is PRECISION specific - and even giving away where it was would give away far too much for my tastes as it's only drawback is GETTING there if there was a general populous awareness and subsequent panic. Fortunately there is more than one route there from Denver.

Gold Member

Yeah im not worried about puttig info out there to state that is 1000 miles away. Plus any outsiders will be spotted miles off. This is a small town and we had to do growing up was four wheel. We know every dirt road like the back of our hands. Nice thing about being in a valley is every road in has ambush points. Plus like you none of this will be done alone. The people that will join me i can communicate with with just a look. So realy i have said nothing cant be found in and war strategy book. But you should read some of those. The art of war is free in the android market.

Yeah im not worried about puttig info out there to state that is 1000 miles away. Plus any outsiders will be spotted miles off. This is a small town and we had to do growing up was four wheel. We know every dirt road like the back of our hands. Nice thing about being in a valley is every road in has ambush points. Plus like you none of this will be done alone. The people that will join me i can communicate with with just a look. So realy i have said nothing cant be found in and war strategy book. But you should read some of those. The art of war is free in the android market.
    Been reading the Art of War since I had my parents buy it and the Book of Five Rings for me when I was 10.

Since then - I've read up on a number of strategic concepts associated to urban to suburban to rural bunkering in for everything from temporary cut off to all out long term siege situations, straight up urban CQB, etc that have nothing to do with zeds.

Fortunately I've kept my sanity about me and haven't gone all paranoid schytzo thinking they're all after me or anything. I just feel better prepared to organize and somewhat lead a potential survival campaign if needs be.