Thread: David Gilmour

David Gilmour

His solo album from 1978. A gem you may have missed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-GlBAJb1uU
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Re: David Gilmour

I have this CD and it's one of my favorites. As a matter of fact my 15 year old nephew picked up the guitar about 4 years ago and since his dad and I have brought him up on Pink Floyd over the years and he responded by learning almost everything they ever did and he can play the albums from start to finish. I gave him this CD less than a month ago and I'm eager to see where he's gotten with it.
    Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

big pink floyd fan! Thanks for posting this! BTW i'm not that old - only 31yrs of just ripe man boy.

Big fan!
    Disclaimer: If I post a link, assume it's NSFW.
    Bike: 2009 FZ-1 "The Hematoma"

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Last edited by Nick_Ninja; Wed Nov 14th, 2012 at 09:59 PM.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

I picked it and About Face up in a two CD pack somewhere for like 8 bucks. I have a 12" single (record) of his that I got when I worked at Sound Warehouse back then. Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    I picked it and About Face up in a two CD pack somewhere for like 8 bucks. I have a 12" single (record) of his that I got when I worked at Sound Warehouse back then. Good stuff.
    Indeed! Wonder if I will ever get to see him play live (missed out seeing him live - too young)

If you haven't seen David Gilmour: Remember That Night - Live At The Royal Albert Hall or Live in Gdansk yet, you need to, both are pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    If you haven't seen David Gilmour: Remember That Night - Live At The Royal Albert Hall or Live in Gdansk yet, you need to, both are pretty good.
    watching live in gdansk right now..so great!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw3b0...ure=watch-vrec

<Sorry, on the subject of anything to do with Floyd, I start reminiscing...>

Love Gilmour, Waters, and of course a lifelong Floyd fan here! Any of you guys see "Aussie Floyd" or "Brit Floyd" live in Denver, the two big international cover bands? I saw Aussie Floyd at the Ogden (or Fillmore?) many years ago, they were effing amazing! SPOT ON, even the three killer backup singers that belted out "The Great Gig in the Sky" from Dark Side. MIND BLOWING. Actually the entire show was. Sound, volume, quality, effects, etc. all were perfect. Never saw 'Brit Floyd' though. Also the real Floyd (sans Barrett & Waters of course) at Mile High Stadium WAY back in the day. Ridiculously cool, 22nd row center field section. Firs time they've had "quadraphonic multichannel" sound at Mile High on that level. During "Run Like Hell", it was like a real helecopter flying AROUND the field, sick!

Still got the collectors box of vinyl records called "Back Catalog". Came with this insert, but wanna buy the big poster, too cool!:

Last edited by Ghosty; Fri Nov 16th, 2012 at 09:07 AM.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post

Love Gilmour, Waters, and of course a lifelong Floyd fan here! Any of you guys see "Aussie Floyd" or "Brit Floyd" live in Denver, the two big international cover bands? I saw Aussie Floyd at the Ogden (or Fillmore?) many years ago, they were effing amazing! SPOT ON, even the three killer backup singers that belted out "The Great Gig in the Sky" from Dark Side. MIND BLOWING. Actually the entire show was. Sound, volume, quality, effects, etc. all were perfect. Never saw 'Brit Floyd' though. Also the real Floyd (sans Barrett & Waters of course) at Mile High Stadium WAY back in the day. Ridiculously cool, 22nd row center field section. Firs time they've had "quadraphonic multichannel" sound at Mile High on that level. During "Run Like Hell", it was like a real helecopter flying AROUND the field, sick!

Still got the collectors box of vinyl records called "Back Catalog". Came with this insert, but wanna buy the big poster, too cool!:

Several important albums are missing in this pic. I think we need a few more girls...

Piper at the Gates of Dawn
    A Saucerful of Secrets
    Soundtrack from More
    Ummagumma
    Meddle
    Obscured By Clouds

just for starters...
    Last edited by CaptGoodvibes; Fri Nov 16th, 2012 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post

I saw Brit Floyd by happenstance a couple years back during a work function down town. Turned out Brit floyd was playing on the street of the 16th street mall. They are great live! I doubt I will ever get to see david gilmour/pink floyd tour now since Richard Wright has passed

Glad you got to see them Ghosty...lucky sob!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptGoodvibes View Post
    Several important albums are missing in this pic. I think we need a few more girls...

Piper at the Gates of Dawn
    A Saucerful of Secrets
    Soundtrack from More
    Ummagumma
    Meddle
    Obscured By Clouds

just for starters...
    You forgot "A MOMENTARY LAPSE OF REASON" one of my fav songs - "learning to fly" - lots of great memories when I was a child with my uncle playing that song as he would take us up in his piper airplane!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettodsm View Post
    You forgot "A MOMENTARY LAPSE OF REASON" one of my fav songs - "learning to fly" - lots of great memories when I was a child with my uncle playing that song as he would take us up in his piper airplane!
    I didn't forget it. I saw that tour 5 times. From every location in LA Sports Arena including third row right in front of Gilmour.

I did include "for starters..." in my comment.

FYI, More, Meddle, Obscured By Clouds, and A Saucerful of Secrets are my favorites and those are the ones I felt needed mentioning. You can do the same.
    Last edited by CaptGoodvibes; Fri Nov 16th, 2012 at 05:25 PM.

I think it was Brit Floyd that played Red Rocks on Sept 28. I was gonna go but got called into work.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

watching live in gdansk right now..so great!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw3b0...ure=watch-vrec
    You get a gold star
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Went to see Wish We Were Floyd - a local Pink Floyd cover band last Friday night at The Gothic. As a die hard Floyd fan I did not come away disappointed. They played brilliantly and really rocked out. They even played Colonel Clegg and Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun.

Met another Floydie in the line to get in and he travels extensively to see the real deal (he's headed to Dusseldorf and Amsterdam to see Roger Waters this year) and he gave the show an enthusiastic thumbs up.

Also, picked up Inside Out by Nick Mason in hardcover for $50 from Ebay.
    Last edited by Dogsbody; Wed Jan 2nd, 2013 at 11:56 AM.
    Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsbody View Post
    Went to see Wish We Were Floyd - a local Pink Floyd cover band last Friday night at The Church. As a die hard Floyd fan I did not come away disappointed. They played brilliantly and really rocked out. They even played Colonel Clegg and Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun.
    Thanks for the heads up, never heard of them! Definitely post up next time you hear they're playing. I'll try to find their FB or website.

Glad you got to see them Ghosty...lucky sob!
    It's called being a lifelong music/concert freak, in college, and actually "spending the night in a sleeping bag" out front of C.U. Boulder's UNC Ticketmaster office, in a VERY LONG LINE. Spent two nights for U2's Joshua Tree tour, lol! Call me crazy, NO REGRETS!
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsbody View Post
    Went to see Wish We Were Floyd - a local Pink Floyd cover band last Friday night at The Gothic. As a die hard Floyd fan I did not come away disappointed. They played brilliantly and really rocked out. They even played Colonel Clegg and Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun.

Met another Floydie in the line to get in and he travels extensively to see the real deal (he's headed to Dusseldorf and Amsterdam to see Roger Waters this year) and he gave the show an enthusiastic thumbs up.

Also, picked up Inside Out by Nick Mason in hardcover for $50 from Ebay.
    Really cool! I wanted to go that show but was busy with the fam.

Thanks for sharing!