Thread: Ideas, thoughts, advice for "My first dirtbike"

Ideas, thoughts, advice for "My first dirtbike"

So I finally have approval by the Domestic Manager to look seriously at getting a dirt bike.

I have all street experience, simply never really rode on the dirt, therefore this will be a new experience.

Thoughts on what I will do with it. I don't see much racing, trying to get 30 ft of air, going to crazy for now. I do see the desire to ride trails, get into areas I can't get into with my streetbike. While I may trailer it to the trails, I think I like the option of being able to ride to the trail heads and be able to take it out around on pavement. I really like the idea of getting back into racing, perhaps a couple learning years on a dirt bike will move me into supermoto, etc.....

How many people found they never actually ride their trail bike on the pavement? Is this a desire that never truly is needed?

Carbs vs FI, I have never had to work with carbs. Sure I can learn, but is it just easiest to get FI and never worry?

I want to keep price down, this is learner to see how much I will truly like dirtbikes, so should I just buck up and deal with carbs? How much of a PITA is a carbed bike?

Being 200 lbs + and 6'3, too big isn't an issue, but too small could be.

So with all that, what answers info is out there? What are some model options?

Didn't see anything in the dirt forums along these lines of questions. Confession, I didn't search though, the 15 search wait gets old.

Thanks
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Re: Ideas, thoughts, advice for "My first dirtbike"

WR450 would be nice for you, maybe even a 250 if you don't take it on the street and only do tight trails. Carb though, I think most bikes with FI will be a bit more pricey because they are newer. Simple bike, street legal, not too heavy, reliable.

I had a DRZ (a bit too heavy of a dirt bike for me at around 300lbs).....had a carb and once it was set for our altitude it was great, no problems until about 10k+ feet. I have a Husky TE510 which is a very powerful bike with FI but I'm really questioning if I need so much power, I almost never use it all. The FI is great though, no worries heading over passes.

I like having a street legal bike just to connect trails when in Moab or riding it up to Switz and Lefthand from home. But the TE510, although very powerful, sucks on the street. You can get by, but its simply not made to ride on the street...in my opinion. Most good dirt bikes will simply suck on the street.

If I had money to burn I would sell the Husky and get a KTM 350 xcw (wide gear ratio), seem like the perfect size and powered bike. For my next bike I'm going to focus on weight, reliability, and keeping it street legal.

Take this info with a big grain of salt I've only been riding dirt for a few years now, just my personal observations.

Maybe a CR450X, TE450, 450EXC.
    Last edited by bodhizafa; Sat Nov 3rd, 2012 at 12:07 PM.
    To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

If cheap, reliable, and street legal is what you are looking for, check out KDX200 or KDX220. I only trail ride. I have had full blown motocross bikes, motocross bikes set up for trails, KTM purpose built trail bikes, and now a KDX220. The KDX gives the best bang for buck IMO. It can be mild mannered to putt around with the kids or it can scream. Perfect for gnarley single track to. If I could afford a 2008+ KTM 300 I would rather have one, but like you, I was looking in the under $2k range when I picked it up. Mine is heavily modded. Has KX125 front end, suspension sprung and valved, cylinder ported, milled head, bored carb, woods pipe, and a heavier flywheel weight(they already have relatively heavy FWW stock), I can almost come to a complete stop without clutch and it won't stall. It still isn't the fastest or most powerful bike, but when riding in the woods you can only go so fast. It will run with any bike on the trails I ride.

You can pick them up for $1000-$1500 stock. Half the ones I've seen have already been titled. For under $500 you can send your top end to Jeff Fredette and have it ported, head milled, and carb modded. Really wakes them up. He has won numerous ISDE titles on KDX's, so they can hold their own.

this one is well set up, but is quite a drive. not a big fan of green frame and purple plastic, but has everything else you would want in a kdx. could get different plastics and a seat cover for $200.
    http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3252582690.html

this one looks good to but stock
    http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3291717586.html

keep in mind '96-'06 is the same bike. just different colors.

Buy mine.... 'o9 Yamaha WR250R.
    100% Street legal from the factory. Fuel injected. The motor is basically 1/4 of the R1 motor. 3,000 mile oil changes, typical motorcycle maintenance, etc.....

Too late to do a write up of the bike and what I got into it. But if you do some homework and are interested in checking it out let me know...
    Last edited by Matty; Sat Nov 3rd, 2012 at 11:31 PM.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

I know you and I have had this discussion before, but that was back when it was still in the planning phase. Now that it is a reality, I may actually know of an XR400 for sale that would meet all your needs. It is great for the trails, decent on the street and it's an air cooled, carb'ed Honda so it will last longer than you and it has plenty of power.

If the XR is a no-go, then I would suggest any of the bigger Yamaha WR's, like the 400, 426 or 450. The older WR's seem to have a "special" starting sequence, but once you figure it out and sacrafice a virgin chicken, you should be good to go.

I can't say enough good things about the KTM's. I am currently on an EXC 520 and it has been the best dirt/trail/part time road bike I have ever owned. It is light enough to handle the tightest single track, has enough suspension to jump higher than I ever care to go and has enough power to rip the front end off the ground in pretty much any gear simply by twisting the wrist. Also, the EXC has an "easy button" so you don't have to try and kick start it all the time, even though kick starting isn't that bad. Based on our past conversations, I think a KTM EXC 450/520/525 will suit you the best and satisfy your dirty dirty needs.

There's no place like home............

a part of hell where its always warm and the roads are to die for

Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post
    Buy mine.... 'o9 Yamaha WR250R.
    100% Street legal from the factory. Fuel injected. The motor is basically 1/4 of the R1 motor. 3,000 mile oil changes, typical motorcycle maintenance, etc.....

Too late to do a write up of the bike and what I got into it. But if you do some homework and are interested in checking it out let me know...
    +10 on matty wr250 is great low maint bike, I'm more of a fan of the cr-f Hondas but with rocket ship power comes high maint

Matt, I think you may be out of my price range, low.

Every dollar in cash I spend on the bike, is out of my pocket for the camper we are going to buy, so trying to keep it $2k or less.

Yes, Dallas, got your PM. Will call shortly.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

a part of hell where its always warm and the roads are to die for

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3334330490.html

Not a bad deal and low maint bike

Street legal is good.
    Carb'd is fine you only have one cylinder so not like you have to sync them or anything.
    I prefer the Jap bikes. Not as much power and weigh more but are reliable. My KTM rips but I literally have worked on it more than I have rode it.

Quote Originally Posted by willb003 View Post
    My KTM rips but I literally have worked on it more than I have rode it.
    Sounds like my affair with my husqvarna
    To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

My KTM rips but I literally have worked on it more than I have rode it.

Maintenance, yes. But worth every second of it when I'm riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post

Maintenance, yes. But worth every second of it when I'm riding.

Youuuuu need to check out my honda that I got.

Never owned a honda 4stroke, but if your talking about crf/crfx, they are more maintainance than ktm 4stroke(did own a 525smr). Everyone I know with a crf/crfx has had valve problems. Unless your talking about xr400 or xr650r? Those bikes are bullet proof.

I want to build an xr680r someday for roadracing just for the reliability.

To the OP, come to think of it, if you are just looking for something to get into areas your sportbike can't, still want to ride the street, but aren't interested in gnarley single track, xr650r is the way to go. No problem doing highway speeds, and bullet proof. Can be found cheap to. If you're just looking for a sub-$2k single track bike, KDX all the way.

Just my opinion, carry on...

Youuuuu need to check out my honda that I got.
    Why would I want a 650 when I have a 950? Although, a 690 has been calling my name for a while now....

Quote Originally Posted by jgixxer1 View Post
    To the OP, come to think of it, if you are just looking for something to get into areas your sportbike can't, still want to ride the street, but aren't interested in gnarley single track, xr650r is the way to go. No problem doing highway speeds, and bullet proof. Can be found cheap to. If you're just looking for a sub-$2k single track bike, KDX all the way.

Just my opinion, carry on...

Yeah, looking at options, xr650/400 seems like a good fit. like you said, gnarly single track isn't my first goal, I am still going to have to learn how to get used to the whole tire sliding thing. Then start looking at jumps etc.

Cheap, titled all seem to be the way to go. Bullet proof would be great as well.

Tis a 650r that I got, no crappy crf.

OP you can come test ride the 650 if you would like.

The more I look into it the more an XR seems like good advice.

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

I just bought a 2006 Yz450f and cant quit smiling while riding it but I was also riding a 36 year old dirt bike prior to that.
    In Memory of my Pal Ike. Riding in the wind will never be the same without you!
    Chunky Beast Racing
    01 Turbo Busa#B813 8.6 @170.98 mph Bandimere
    Semi finalist Street Bike ET 2017 Bandimere
    1st Place Coys Street Machine ShowDown 2015
    1st Place Dragster Challenge 2013 Julesburg, CO
    1st Place Dragster Challenge 2012 Julesburg, COl
    1st Place Friday Night Drags 2011 Pueblo, CO
    1st Place Dragster Challenge 2011 Pueblo, CO
    2017 SPONSORS
    A.P.E American Performance Engineering
    Diversity Cycles