Thread: need internet provider help

Gold Member

need internet provider help

Okay so im moving to my families summer house in tahoe and i need help figuring out internet providers. After leaving co ive noticed that my gaming is not up to par. I feel like im running just a hair behind everyone else. Now from what i have read is that its the upload speed that matters for gaming. Also something about the copper loop. Im guessing the cable for the internet? My choices for providers is limited and i want to be able to get the most out of my internet.

Basically im down to charter and at@t. Help me computer gurus! Please.

Re: need internet provider help

FWIW Townie, in concern to the gaming part of it(Black Ops 2 specifically), they brought over Lag Compensation again from MW3. So if you have a very fast connection speed you're getting penalized for having it and then the servers are lagging you out to bring you down to the slower speeds of people on DSL. I'm not running the worlds fastest connection by any means(35 download and 7 upload) but it's still way to fast for most gamers connections, so I've been experiencing some serious lag compensation. Mainly in the Core game modes of multi-player. However, in Hardcore where there are less players and less of a drain of those devoted servers(I'm assuming devoted to just Hardcore) the lag is not as bad.

But you've got to figure if you're going up against anyone with a DSL vs. your cable they automatically get the advantage, until the game decides to switch hosts. Once you can get a migrated hosts and you become the host, then it's lights out for those slower than you. They can't keep up and are pretty much sitting ducks during gameplay.

We just had a guy in my clan upgrade his connection to 60 download and 20 upload and when he's the host of the games. We just rape the other teams. They can't keep up with his speed and it pretty much makes it a miserable game for the other teams. Not that I really care, about time the servers started forcing those with slower connections to keep up with us faster guys.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Gold Member

Yeah i thought they did that whole lag thing. My kd in black ops before i moved was just under 2 and climbing. Now im down to 1.68 and still dropping. I know im always running behind when i watch their kill cam im just sitting there for a sec. What pisses me off the most is when i drop shot and in the kill cam i never drop. Its so annoying. The few times i made host im doing a easy 30-5 ish. I just want a more balanced connection.

Just a note, the upload and download 'speed' being referred to is actually bandwidth. The speed of your connection depends on the latency between you and the servers, which more so depends on the underlying infrastructure of the ISP than your 'speed'...so it's hard to say whether DSL or cable would be faster in your area.

The reason hosts with high bandwidth are picked is because they can handle more concurrent connections (read other players).
    Nathaniel
    13 DRZ400SM (mine) -- 08 CBR 600RR (wife's) -- 06 GSX-R 600 (sold)
    I don't always test my code, but when I do, I do it in production.