Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: yet another school shooting....

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Re: yet another school shooting....

Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

This Texan probably speaks for many pro-gunners:

"I wish to God (the principal) had had an M4 in her office, locked up, so when she heard gunfire she pulls it out … and takes him out, takes his head off before he can kill those precious kids," the Republican from Texas said on "Fox News Sunday."
    Right buddy, but how many public school principles are gonna go through training, etc. and agree to this? Doubtful, and HUGE public outcry against. Most parents don't even want armed guards at their schools below inner city public schools.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Wow, hate to sound heartless, but maybe that 13yrd old kid is a prime candidate for at least mild electroshock therapy that is making a comeback, now that they've improved it, made it safer. I'm sure she's already been through multiple psychiatrists, I HOPE, to see all options. Lanza's Mom, who knows... RIP though, from all descriptions she wasn't a bad person, and no one deserves this.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Lanza's Mom didn't recognize her son's mental issues, or have they checked into that? She didn't secure her weapons or just bought them for her son, or what have they found?...
    His mental health issues were well documented. A store had refused to sell him multiple weapons already that week. His mom and a lot of other people tragically died because she didn't secure them from a mentally unstable person, who essentially stole them to commit his crime. There is no legitimate reason those guns shouldn't have been in a true gun safe that he didn't have the combination to. $600 and the word "no" would have saved a lot of lives.

Bottom line, gun laws did what they were supposed to in this case. This happened because of negligence by a gun owner in the presence of a mentally ill person.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Not to spill on her grave, but I agree with that.

People with chlidren and teens need to wake up. If you want to own firearms, be able to afford all the associated training and safeties. Including a gun safe, trigger locks, etc. If for home defense, save up for one of those fingerprint/handprint high-tech handgun safe for your bedroom, or whatever.\

Federal government DOES NEED to close the gunshow loophole, etc.

Just so you guys know, CO is one of the states that DOES require a background check for anyone buying a gun at a gun show.
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    Gun show loop hole? Ever gun i ever got from a gun show was just like buying from a store. And why does the feds need to be involved? Why not state?
    I've only been to a few Tanners here and never bought anything other than books and bulk ammo. So I know only that some states allow you to buy a gun without a background check, and you can easily transport that across state lines. I don't know how many states are like this.

The reason the Feds would be involved to make the law for background checks NATIONAL. Gunners don't want this because the old standard "slippery slope" argument that this will just be a first step to enacting more.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrider View Post
    Just so you guys know, CO is one of the states that DOES require a background check for anyone buying a gun at a gun show.
    There IS no gun show loophole in most states. This is a myth perpetuated by the antigun lobbies.

Under Federal law, purchase of a handgun from any person in any state other than your state of residence MUST go through a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL), and requires the same NICS background check and form 4473 as a new gun purchase. Long guns may be purchased in any state, assuming the laws in both states allow it, however if the firearm is shipped from one state to another, all of the above applies. In Colorado, anytime 3 or more vendors are gathered together for the principal business of selling firearms or firearms supplies, buyers must undergo a background check, even if the sale is between 2 private parties not associated with any of the vendors.
    Last edited by TFOGGuys; Mon Dec 17th, 2012 at 11:53 AM.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    There IS no gun show loophole in most states. This is a myth perpetuated by the antigun lobbies.
    Good to know, thanks.

Just wait.... The conspiracy stuff is coming. There are already people 100% convinced that there were 3 shooters, that the dad works for the CIA and there are ties to Aurora.

Cant be hard to believe somethings up when 20 different news channels are reporting 1000 different things all crossing paths and changing by the minute.

Should be interesting
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzzzy1 View Post
    Just wait.... The conspiracy stuff is coming. There are already people 100% convinced that there were 3 shooters, that the dad works for the CIA and there are ties to Aurora.

Cant be hard to believe somethings up when 20 different news channels are reporting 1000 different things all crossing paths and changing by the minute.

Should be interesting
    These conspiracy articles and videos are more fun to read than the Sunday colored funnies.

But why? Why would a conspiracy like this be put into motion? Whats the end game?
    Disarming the citizenry. It worked for Hitler, Stalin, Mao, and others, why not here?

at least that's what the conspiracy theorists believe.

Of course, people laughed at the proposition that the antigun lobbies would make a push for massive gun control if Obama got re-elected.
    Last edited by TFOGGuys; Mon Dec 17th, 2012 at 01:15 PM.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Disarming the citizenry. It worked for Hitler, Stalin, Mao, and others, why not here?

Of course, people laughed at the proposition that the antigun lobbies would make a push for massive gun control if Obama got re-elected.
    As stated many times, NOT gonna happen in America (sans any WW3, huge multiple national disasters at once, martial law, etc.) The whole "out of my cold dead hands" is taken very seriously by half+ of Americans. Full-auto and heavy weaponry is another story, and the strict laws on those are already in place.

Another Federal AWB (including the bigger Mags and other parts) is very likely for our current Senate and POTUS, but not the House, so how would they pass it?

As for Obama's first term, he shelved all gun talk. NOW, he's gonna work on that, along with Immigration, and the budget/spending. Just watch...
    Last edited by Ghosty; Mon Dec 17th, 2012 at 01:18 PM.

I have a problem with pro-gun people not admitting that there is a problem with guns. Especially the hardcore pro folks.

Some say its the people some say its the guns, I say its both and honestly there are probably some things that need to be done. Limiting not eliminating.

Get your 30+ rnd mags now... Im betting they are the first to go

If less guns equals more safety, why are all of our elected representatives protected by people with guns? In the case of the President and most members of the cabinet, their bodyguards carry machine guns which are all but impossible(though not entirely impossible) for the average citizen to obtain. Perhaps they should lead by example, and disarm their guards.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

More regs? Let history prove it. More regulations hasnt fixed anything. Nothing. Look at cali! Look at chicago. How is regulations going to fix this? Who says this shit can be fixed? Why do we as a human have to fix everything?
    Im not sure they would be called regs... Well maybe. There is no reason for anyone to need half the stuff thats available for the high power assault rifles. Yeah, its cool as hell and I have most of it but do I NEED it? No. Who needs 120rd 223 drums Even limiting the 30rd mags again could change a lot in a situation like this.

Who know but my main point is that really that there is a problem and if it makes people feel better to hear it said a different way, then the problem is with the combination of people and guns. This is going to keep trending up unless something is done and to be honest unless 90% of the population starts carrying its not going to correct itself.

If less guns equals more safety, why are all of our elected representatives protected by people with guns? In the case of the President and most members of the cabinet, their bodyguards carry machine guns which are all but impossible(though not entirely impossible) for the average citizen to obtain. Perhaps they should lead by example, and disarm their guards.
    Or let us all have Machine guns

Actually you can have them. You just have to make sure you get the paperwork right the first time. The whole process is designed to get people to screw up the paperwork and once they deny you you are done. So its all about getting it right the first time.
    Assuming you have the $$$$$$, and can find the weapon you want (manufactured prior to 1986), and are willing to either form a trust, form a corporation, or undergo a proctology exam administered by BATFE, get your local chief of law enforcement to sign off on your Form 4, and wait 7 months for the approval. Pay your $200 for your tax stamp, and have at it. You too can pay $25K for an M-16.

ETA: Most mistakes on Form 1s and Form 4s can be corrected, but it further delays the process.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Presently, 17 states regulate private firearm sales at gun shows. Seven states require background checks on all gun sales at gun shows (California, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Oregon, New York, Illinois and Colorado). Four states (Hawaii, Maryland, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania) require background checks on all handgun, but not long gun, purchasers at gun shows. Six states require individuals to obtain a permit to purchase handguns that involves a background check (Massachusetts, Michigan, North Carolina, Iowa, Nebraska). Certain counties in Florida require background checks on all private sales of handguns at gun shows. The remaining 33 states do not restrict private, intrastate sales of firearms at gun shows in any manner

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_sho..._United_States

It saddens me to see people post things like this. How can you sit here and say those things? What is a ten round mag going to do? Most murders are committed with a hand gun. Ever seen a 150 round mag for a pistol?

The second amendment is not about what the government thinks we need. Its about being able to fight back against a corrupt government. Not for hunting. Not for sport. No self defense against corruption in the highest levels. You just posted about this being some kind of government conspiracy and now you want to give up the few tools that would help you defend you and your family against those same things?
    Exactly, whats a 10 round mag going to do? It makes it harder to commit crimes at these volumes that we have been seeing. Im not saying that I dont like my high capacity mags (just ordered 5 more today) but I am saying that in limiting the size of mags they leave the gun limiting alone and for that I am all game.

For what its worth, I generally could give a shit less about one crazy guy killing another crazy guy but thats not what the issue is here. The issue is how does our country make situations like this harder to commit without making people sad that the government is "taking" anything away from them? Im assuming that had these weapons been around when the country was founded that they would have limited parts of them. They were smart people that wrote laws based on what they saw then and in the foreseeable future but stuff like this is way past that.

This may seem like a broken thought but follow me. We have WAAAAY more than what was allowed when this country was founded. How can anyone argue that limiting mags to 10 or 15 rounds (AR) is going the wrong direction when the ultimate goal is to make some type of impact on situations like what just happened.

Lets have a philosophical conversation. Honestly. I am interested in what people think should be done. What changes should be made.

Ive seen some around 10k.

Or ej where there is a will there is a way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y02k...e_gdata_player
    Yeah, there are a few on the market. All they did was sneak through the loopholes to make these. Again, cool as hell but what does anyone need it for?

What people dont understand is that by answering that question with stuff like "protection" and "in case shit hits the fan", they are only making themselves look paranoid and not prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by koop View Post
    Presently, 17 states regulate private firearm sales at gun shows. Seven states require background checks on all gun sales at gun shows (California, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Oregon, New York, Illinois and Colorado). Four states (Hawaii, Maryland, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania) require background checks on all handgun, but not long gun, purchasers at gun shows. Six states require individuals to obtain a permit to purchase handguns that involves a background check (Massachusetts, Michigan, North Carolina, Iowa, Nebraska). Certain counties in Florida require background checks on all private sales of handguns at gun shows. The remaining 33 states do not restrict private, intrastate sales of firearms at gun shows in any manner

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_sho..._United_States

Stop letting facts get in the way.... Seriously.