Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Landlords pulling rules out of their ass?

Landlords pulling rules out of their ass?

So I just got an email from my landlord mentioning that I cannon have lit candles in my apartment and that I cant have my couple sets of race tires in my closet. I have 9 months left in the lease still and I am a big fan of both my tires and candles (I got out of the dorms so I could finally have candles). Nothing is mentioned in my lease or apartment rules about these items except for possibly this:

"18. Dangerous Materials. Tenant shall not keep or have on the Premises any article or thing of a dangerous, inflammable, or explosive character that might increase the danger of fire on the Premises, or that might be considered hazardous by a responsible insurance company, unless the prior written consent of Owners is obtained and proof of adequate insurance protection is provided by Tenant to Owners."

and smoking is not allowed per the complex rules and the lease. Should I politely tell them to pound sand or can they just make rules like that?

I am also very responsible with my candles, burning on proper surfaces, staying in the same room and I even have a fire extinguisher very close on hand.
    MRA Expert #880 - 2015 AmateurGTO Champion, 2013 NoviceGTU Champion
    2006 YZF-R6 Race "No name" - 2005 YZF-R6 Street "Aurora"
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Text: (72O) 432-7236

Re: Landlords pulling rules out of their ass?

They might have you on the candles though its a stretch, but the tires are fine.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

^ that.

also, why was he in your apartment to see those things? I've never had someone actually do their bi-annual apartment inspection. Sucks

What justification did he give on the tires? makes no sense

Gold Member Yearly Supporter

You could threaten his family... Just sayin...
    2015 R1200GS
    03 & 11 XR-50 pit bike
    07 & 08 DRZ 400SM
    06 FJR 1300
    70 SL 350
    75 MT 250

I'd gladly tell him to go run into a knife, fuck em!

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    ^ that.

also, why was he in your apartment to see those things? I've never had someone actually do their bi-annual apartment inspection. Sucks

They went through to change out the fire detectors while I was in Copper. Until now they have been very friendly and have known about my 5-10 candles since day one. Candles make studying until 3am much more pleasant and serene.

Quote Originally Posted by sloridr View Post
    Who da fuck are you? I always seem to end up with an asinine comment from you on my threads.
    Last edited by WolFeYeZ; Tue Jan 8th, 2013 at 08:07 PM.
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    They said fire hazard...? Google comes up with nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by WolFeYeZ View Post

Who da fuck are you? I always seem to end up with an asinine comment from you on my threads.

I heard he was a fag.

fire hazard. fuck that one

Keep the candles, just make sure to note when they say they are changing out the air filters and put them away

Definitely keep a friendly / understanding attitude. It gets shitty fast when you piss off the landlord

oh and put the candles away just for shiggles when you know you're goin out of town for more than 2 days. Usually they are required to notify at a minimum of 24 hours before entry

They said fire hazard...? Google comes up with nothing.
    The blankets on your bed are a bigger fire hazard than those tires.

Tell 'em to get fucked...
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

you gotta do one hell of a burnout in your closet for those tires to spontaneously combust.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

He is just jelly cause he can't get a fresh wiff of those awesome take offs that scent your place instead of his shit hole.

Private owned condo or apartment complex? If there is not a detector in your closet why were they in it. When will they be reinspecting? I work for a large company and most of the time I warn tenants about small violations like that, I "forget" to reinspect. Then again when I lived onsite I parked my bike in the dinning room. If you need to store the tires you can use my garage but your on your own with tje candles
    A good long ride can clear your mind, restore your faith and use up a lot of fuel.
    A good rider has balance, judgment, and good timing. So does a good lover.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by sloridr View Post

+1. Go all mob boss on their ass.

Last apartment i got there was a truck tire in the storage room associated with the unit. That was a little weird.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
    you gotta do one hell of a burnout in your closet for those tires to spontaneously combust.

The candles thing, is one of those "nit-picky" things some landlords/keepers will do to stir ish up, I'd call the front office and verify if I were you. It'd also be a good idea to get a set of those glass things that go around the candles, or perhaps something inset into a canister(unless thats the type you have.....which are nearly impossible to catch items on fire, unless of course you're physically putting them UNDER flammable materials/etc).

As far as the tires go, that's nuts. As previously said, there is NO reason for those to be considerred a fire hazard, unless they're blocking access to a fire suppression device, or warning/detection unit. As previously mentioned, there are TONS of things in the typical person's home that are WAY more flammable than a set of motorcycle tires....

Now, it could have simply been a lazy inspector, and the tires may actually fall under a seperate clause in your lease agreement regarding the storage of auto pieces/parts. A lot of times landlords/complexs' dont want car/vehicle parts stored in their areas(unless a garage is paid for) because they tend to be extremely dirty/greasy and can stain their units allllll up. Might be something to look into?

Good luck man, have a good one!
    '02 Yamaha FZ1(SOLD)
    '06 Triumph Daytona 675

YOURE NOT EVEN MY REAL DAD!

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the difficulty in putting a tire fire out. Tires won't catch fire easily, but once they do they can be particularly hard to extinguish.

"18. Dangerous Materials. Tenant shall not keep or have on the Premises any article or thing of a dangerous, inflammable, or explosive character that might increase the danger of fire on the Premises, or that might be considered hazardous by a responsible insurance company, unless the prior written consent of Owners is obtained and proof of adequate insurance protection is provided by Tenant to Owners."
    Sounds like you're S.O.L., without prior written authorization. Tires can indeed be considered a fire (fuel) hazzard, not they can spontaneously combust, lol. And candles are obvious because the same reason as the dorms, morons leave their apartment with them burning by mistake and burn the place down. Sucks to have to pay for other peoples historical idiocy.

Not agreeing with the rules, but the law's probably on his side, just sayin'. Good luck, let us know what happens.
    Last edited by Ghosty; Wed Jan 9th, 2013 at 10:12 AM.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grim2.0 View Post
    I heard he was a fag.
    Was?

I think they have you on the candles, but the tires don't make any sense.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

tires make sense to me because when they burn they are very hard to put out but I would think there is a long list of items that are similar...
    1998 CBR600F3 "Desert Storm" - SOLD

WAS keeping the banana seat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGizzmo View Post
    tires make sense to me because when they burn they are very hard to put out but I would think there is a long list of items that are similar...
    Yeah think the "tire" issue is based on how hard they are to put out and that they release a lot of toxic chemicals when burnt:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_fire
    They are noted for being difficult to extinguish. Such fires produce a lot of smoke, which often carries toxic chemicals from the breakdown of rubber compounds while burning. A single tire contains about the equivalent of 7.5 liters (two U.S. gallons) of oil. Extinguishing tire fires is difficult. The fire releases a dark, thick smoke that contains carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide, and products of butadiene and styrene. A specific danger is posed by dripping hot fluids (which may cause burns) and valves shooting from the fire under pressure.[1] Burning tires are heated and as they have a low thermal conductivity, they are difficult to cool down. Moreover, they frequently burn inside even if they are extinguished from outside, and easily reignite when hot

So sucks, but I bet they do have a case. Best reason to buy a house!!!!!
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Email response should say - if I remove the tires, I won't have anything to help hide my meth making materials in the closet.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
    Email response should say - if I remove the tires, I won't have anything to help hide my meth making materials in the closet.
    Or... "they are not tires, those are my cock rings"
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzzzy1 View Post
    Or... "they are not tires, those are my cock rings"
    lol
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires