Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switching back from Water to Antifreeze ?

Switching back from Water to Antifreeze ?

Alright so winter is coming and Im told I should change the water out of the R6 and put anti freeze in during the winter. I have never had to do this before and Im not sure where to start.
    First of all: Its in a garage all winter....is it a must?

If so where do I begin? I obviously know where the radiator is and all but what do I need to do to drain it? Also what do I need to get to put in it? Reg old anti freeze or is there a special kind I need for bikes? Also do I mix with water or just fill with straight anti freeze?

The more specific the better. Im plannin to do it this weekend so post up all........

Thanks for any suggestions and info.
    R6-Forum's June 2010 Ride of the Month!

Sig. Courtesy of GIJoe007

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:
    Rief Resources Media/Rebellion Motorsports /
    Lockhart Phillips / Factory Backing / GoPro Camera

Hey Dion, if you don't have the service manual for the bike, I'd get that ASAP. It will outline all the steps needed, including the torque settings for the drain bolt at the water pump and the drain bolt on the engine block. Usually you remove the radiator cap, open the drain bolt at the water pump (mine is indicated with a mark to show which bolt is the drain), and then remove the drain bolt at the engine block (mine is behind the headers on the block). It wouldn't hurt to run some distilled water through there to flush out the system, I'd recommend distilled water to avoid adding minerals or other contaminates from tap water. Then you should be able to just reinstall the drain bolts and fill the system with your distilled water/antifreeze mix. Oh, drain and fill the overflow reservoir too.

Your bike might be fine in the garage over the winter, as long as it is attached and/or heated. The danger is that water expands, and if it were to freeze it could crack your block and destroy your radiator. Also, something people often don't think about is how cold it can get on the way home from a trackday over the winter, especially if your bike is on a trailer. That's a lot of cold air flowing through the radiator, and if it's even close to freezing it could freeze the water and destroy the block/radiator as mentioned above.

Good luck, and get that service manual!
    Alex
    MRA #68
    http://www.3dstickfight.com/racing/
    Racing Performance Services, Racer Supply Co., Morse Racing Products
    ”Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature nor do the children of humankind as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."
    -- Helen Keller

AS always Alex. Thank you. I do have the service manual for my R1 and I have been working to find an online copy for the R6. As soon as I find it I will print it off as well.

The garage is attached and stays pretty warm but I dont want to take the chance.

What kind of anti freeze do I need? Reg stuff or something special? I think from your explanation I will be able to get the job done. Ill get on that Serv manual today as well. Thanks for the tips.

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:

Ya know, I don't have a clue what antifreeze to get, but I do know to not just get automotive antifreeze, some of those have additives (silicates, I think?) that can be harmful to the bikes system. Whatever they have at the Yamaha shop should be fine. Oh, and I bet the process for the R1 is nearly identical to the R6, you could probably use it as a reference for basic stuff like that until you get the R6 service manual.
    Alex
    MRA #68
    ”Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature nor do the children of humankind as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."
    -- Helen Keller

Re: Switching back from Water to Antifreeze ?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil
    Alright so winter is coming and Im told I should change the water out of the R6 and put anti freeze in during the winter.
    You should NEVER run just plain water in your engine. Antifreeze not only provides freezing protection but, provides boil-over protection and corrosion resistance as well. Your engine will definitely run hotter on just plain water.

While we're at it... A lot of people also think removing the thermostat will make an engine run cooler too. Big time myth!!!!! When the thermostat is removed, the water doesn't sit long enough in the water jackets to absorb any heat. It's like touching a hot stove burner real quick - no burn. Leave it there for a second and your hand will absorb a lot of heat - big ol' burn. If your bike or car is running hot and the radiator is clean, believe it or not, a hotter thermo is usually the answer. It allows the water to sit a little longer in the radiator and cool more while also staying in the jackets longer to absorb more heat. Removing the thermo also causes cavitation at the water pump. Air bubbles = over-heating.

Ring! Ring! Class is over
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Quote Originally Posted by yakuza
    Ya know, I don't have a clue what antifreeze to get, but I do know to not just get automotive antifreeze, some of those have additives (silicates, I think?) that can be harmful to the bikes system.
    Yamaha says to use any coolant with corrosion resitance for aluminum engines. Automotive is perfectly fine. That same manual, also, says never run just water.
    Kim & Dean

Well I have water wetter in there too. Not just plain water.

The fan has been set up on a manual switch as well to turn on and off as I want to keep the temp where I need it. Generally its on all the time. Or most of it anyway. I run about 190 deg. I assume the thermo is gone with this set up......

ANyone finds an online copy of the serv manual post a link. Im on R6-forum looking now........

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:

Well I have water wetter in there too. Not just plain water.
    Chech this out - http://www.redlineoil.com/redlineoil/wwti.htm

I run about 190 deg. I assume the thermo is gone with this set up......
    My R1 runs at 165. You better hope there's a thermostat in there. I know mechanics who think removing it works too. Just more proof that people don't know what they're talking about. Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm just trying to kill a few myths while, hopefully, helping out.

For what it's worth - some drag racers do remove the thermo, however, they also have to add a restrictor in the thermo location to prevent cavitiation and to slow the water speed down. But that's drag racing - i.e. very short run times.
    Kim & Dean

Loopty
    Pronounced with an "oopty"
    Dean, he has no antifreeze in his bike because it is not allowed in race bikes (super slick if it gets on the track). You use water wetter instead...
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother

Dont get me wrong the bike runs much cooler at high speeds. But on average when Im slow enough to check it its about 185 - 190. My R1 with Anti in it rund that up to 210 deg.

I dont dispute what U say. Im sure U R right. Main focus at ths point is just making sure I dont crack a block.......Cant afford that for sure.

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopty
    Dean, he has no antifreeze in his bike because it is not allowed in race bikes (super slick if it gets on the track). You use water wetter instead...
    Yeah, I get it. I'm just saying never run plain water. Water wetter is what we used to run in our dragsters. Works GREAT with antifreeze in cars too. Lowers your temp. an easy 10 deg.
    Kim & Dean

Main focus at ths point is just making sure I dont crack a block.......Cant afford that for sure.
    No doubt, bro. I missed a drain plug (1 out of 6) on my boat one year. Fortunately, it was right next to a freeze plug and that's what popped instead of the block. Shwuuu!!!!!!!! Had to pull a motor mount to put it back in, though.
    Kim & Dean

Whoo hooo found it

http://stuff.onyxs10.com/R6_Manual_2003.pdf

Yeah My father missed one hose in his boat as well. Put a crack in the block so big U could put your hand in it.....Ooooops new engine on that one...... Gave a chance to upgrade to a 350 Block though. tee hee.

I also use Water wetter in it as well.

I printed the manual so I have it to find all the drains on her. Ill run by and get some Anti freeze at the dealer as well.

Thanks guys U are always the best place for the right answers.

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:

Dean, weren't you telling me at Pueblo a couple months ago that you had taken your thermostat out, and you were having trouble with temps?
    Alex
    MRA #68
    -- Helen Keller

haha Busted. j/k

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:

Quote Originally Posted by yakuza
    Dean, weren't you telling me at Pueblo a couple months ago that you had taken your thermostat out, and you were having trouble with temps?
    Wasn't me. I've never been to the track at Pueblo or any track with my bike, except Bandimere.
    Kim & Dean

Doh, I'm sorry, I've totally had you confused with someone else, my bad.
    Alex
    MRA #68
    -- Helen Keller

Loopty
    Pronounced with an "oopty"
    That's the other Kim and Dean you're thinking of. :P
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother

I know, right, how many can there be?
    Alex
    MRA #68
    -- Helen Keller

Yeah My father missed one hose in his boat as well.

I also use Water wetter in it as well.
    So, you must have a closed cooling system on that boat. I've always run anti-freeze in a closed system. Then, there's nothing to do when winter comes. I'm laaaaaaaazy
    Kim & Dean

If by closed U mean it doesnt pull water in from outside to use......no. It pulls water in from the lake to use for coolant. Then when winter comes pull all hoses off and plugs to get every drop of water out of there. Only a small amount = death thats for sure.

But I dont know a ton of that stuff. I just wake board when he says lets ride...... haha

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:

I thought you said you used water wetter in it. How do you do that if it's open?

Anyway, I have a special pan that wraps around my drive and I can run anti-freeze through my engine first. Then I pull my plugs. Although, the purpose of the drive pan is so you don't have to pull any plugs (or hoses) I just like to make sure. I got it from Overton's.
    Kim & Dean

Water wetter is in the bike. haha Sorry for the confusion. Guess that happens when we drift off topic. haha

Nah the boat runs water in it to cool it. In the Bike I use water as well with water wetter added to it. That clear it up?

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:

hey Dion why even bother putting antifreeze in it just drain the system an refill when you go out riding that way you don't have to flush it next year?
    Bryce Random racing #814