Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark your calandars! Devil's Highway 2013!

Re: Mark your calandars! Devil's Highway 2013!

We stop at a little corner store in reserve New Mexico called Henry's corner store. One of those blink and you'll miss it places and the last fuel stop for awhile.

From reserve its the same mileage to Socorro as it is to Grants. Last year my cell lost service so my gps stopped responding. I was waiting for a voice to tell me to turn (towards grants) that never came and we ended up I. Socorro instead.

This ride does not use the interstate except for a small section around Gallup.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiutis View Post
    Clovis,
    How did you get to Socorro, NM on previous trips. It's not really close to Gallup....
    I hope we're not really considering taking I-40 to I-25 home.
    Last edited by Clovis; Wed May 8th, 2013 at 09:18 PM.
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

I don't think a rain suit is needed, I've never hand one. Sometimes you get rained on, sometimes you don't but it's been my experience (riding with those who do carry a suit) that it always stops raining as soon as you finish putting the thing on.

Then again, they do come in handy when its cold (to keep the wind off you). JKOL broke his out on a Durango trip... we were rained on for 300 miles over 7 hours. He looked like the Michilin man (the suit puffs out).

We just won't let it rain on this trip, problem solved!

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    Question. What do you guys recommend for rain gear? Other than a full rain suit. Trying to keep what I bring along as light as possible. Was planning on going to performance this weekend and see what they have there.

Shannon's last day of class at UCCS is on Friday the 17th. She could probably skip it, but Drano also has his last day and a final. I offered to write him an note excusing him from the professor's class (to come ride motorcycles) but that is unlikely to work.

Alpine in one day is roughly 630 miles. I've done 700 mile days a few times but that might be a bit much with a passenger. When I did these trips on my R1 I was fantasizing about the hotel and getting off the bike around the 400 mile mark. The riding to and past Gallup is all Navajo country -- straight and flat roads that support high speeds.

Besides the law the biggest thing you have to watch out for is wild life. You do not want to be cruising at 100mph+ at night. The Navajo nation is like Mexico, but classy. They also have a serious drunk driving problem. You will see what I mean when you see an anti-drunk driving sign every 2 miles and some drunk comes up to randomly at a gas station.

In other words, you really don't want to ride at night unless you have to. But I'm open for Alpine on day 1 if the majority are willing.

The advantage of Alpine is it saves us 2 and a half hours on day 2 and allows the potential to ride the spine all day versus just twice (From alpine to clifton and back).

The spine is only 94 miles but it takes 2 to 2.5 hours to cover.

Quote Originally Posted by bornwildnfree View Post
    I will be pushing on to Alpine. There is an amazing hotel there and I love the cafe. 600 miles isn't too far out of the realm of riding. What it means is I might not meet up with you guys on Friday. If DICK does come, then we will probably leave Thursday as soon as we get off work. I will keep you informed. If we were leaving Buena Vista at say 7AM instead of 9, then I would ride with you guys. I will keep you informed.

That's not a bad idea -- staying in BV on Friday night. If we could KSU around 6:30 then making it to Alpine on day 1 is more realistic.

The distance travel over time goal with a group is averaging 50 miles per hour. That 50mph includes gas stops and other little pit stops, not including lunch.

So 650 miles would be 13 hours.

It's light until nearly 8pm right now. I would be down for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed View Post
    Thursday? Friday? We are meeting in BV Saturday morning. Are your days mixed up or are you trying to get a big head start on the pie? Either way Im game to push to Alpine if the pie is truly that good. Just my vote.

I have all day Friday off, actually I have the whole week off but who's counting. If some of us want to leave Friday and stay in a motel in BV Friday night Id entertain the idea. It just adds another nights motel to the cost of the trip. But then Ive spent more money on dumber stuff.

Otherwise, Id say we meet at MoCo Saturday morning at 600, KSU at 630. I figure we will shoot down 285 all the way to BV?

Thoughts?

Keeper of The Great White Buffalo

I vote to go clockwise out of alpine. Sweepers are better in the morning when the tires and road are cool. Also elevation gain as opposed to elevation loss north of morenci where the road is highly technical would be my suggestion.

Broker Associate RE/MAX Alliance
    A business built on referrals

Updated the attendee list on page 1.

As of 5/8/13:

I have sent PM's to everyone. If you did not get a PM, please let me know.

Confirmed:

1) Clovis / Mrs. Clovis (2up)
    2) Drano
    3) Aaron
    4) Cornfed
    5) Bornwildnfree
    6) Dick (Bornwildnfree's guest)
    7) Chaos
    Tiutis
    9) Hotcarcus

Pending confirmation:

10) Scubbasteve
    11) FZJake
    12) Matrix
    13) Denman
    14) Street Doctor
    15) Neutron
    16) BiikChiq
    17) Stuart Little
    18 Supaduka
    19) Powers
    20) Ssutton21

That's a good point. That's what we did last year.

I expect to hit Alpine around 11am. The only issue with going clockwise is the road is relatively flat and boring but with some good areas.

That's where we made friends with a sheriff last year. Fellow rider, let me off without a ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by HOTCARCASS View Post
    I vote to go clockwise out of alpine. Sweepers are better in the morning when the tires and road are cool. Also elevation gain as opposed to elevation loss north of morenci where the road is highly technical would be my suggestion.

Keeper of The Great White Buffalo

[QUOTE=Clovis;733988]That's a good point. That's what we did last year.

I expect to hit Alpine around 11am. The only issue with going clockwise is the road is relatively flat and boring but with some good areas.

That's where we made friends with a sheriff last year. Fellow rider, let me off without a ticket.[/QUOT
    got it sounds good the first 25 miles of the West Side has awesome sweepersI could spend days riding those alone.

Broker Associate RE/MAX Alliance
    A business built on referrals

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    I don't think a rain suit is needed, I've never hand one. Sometimes you get rained on, sometimes you don't but it's been my experience (riding with those who do carry a suit) that it always stops raining as soon as you finish putting the thing on.

Then again, they do come in handy when its cold (to keep the wind off you). JKOL broke his out on a Durango trip... we were rained on for 300 miles over 7 hours. He looked like the Michilin man (the suit puffs out).

We just won't let it rain on this trip, problem solved!
    We will be wathcing weather forcast closely. There is nothing worse than being cold and wet on a bike and some of our bike don't have the protection from elements as FJR!

What other items do you guys recommend or must bring along??

Clovis,
    Can two riders join in the fun for an abbreviated version of your day one route? If so, please add two ST bikes to the group Saturday, meeting at the Acorn station and riding thru to the Telluride/Rico area.
    We are looking forward to this!

What is the Denver meet up plans, I got confused reading the last few pages haha. Morrison Conoco at 6am Saturday?
    2006 R1 "Raven"

Of course Dave, see you then!

What is the Denver meet up plans, I got confused reading the last few pages haha. Morrison Conoco at 6am Saturday?
    6am is kind of early, unless you plan on eating breakfast in Buena Vista?

That's the idea. It should take around 90-100 minutes to get to BV. Just watch your speed in Park County. God help you if you get a large speeding ticket there (either Sherriff or state patrol).

They have one DA and one judge. The judge isn't bad but the DA is a real jerk and will not want to reduce points at all. Both tickets I've gotten there were over $500 and left me with 1 point on my license.

FYI - Indie Pass is currenly closed and not sltated to open until "on or about" May 24th.

Last year it opened early (April) so we could get lucky. But if Indie pass is closed, the options are to either skip the black canyon or just skip Aspen/Indie pass by taking I-70 from Carbondale to highway 24. From Denver crew can continue on, or opt to take 285 home and southies take 285/24 home.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiutis View Post
    6am is kind of early, unless you plan on eating breakfast in Buena Vista?
    Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    That's the idea. It should take around 90-100 minutes to get to BV.
    Yeah it was more of a question, I don't mind leaving early to get a good jump start on the day. What is the route the Denver crew is taking to get to BV? 285?

Who all is in the Denver side??
    2006 R1 "Raven"

Yeah it was more of a question, I don't mind leaving early to get a good jump start on the day. What is the route the Denver crew is taking to get to BV? 285?

Who all is in the Denver side??
    I'm in Lakewood, taking 285 to BV. Ideally, would like to leave around 6:45 am.

FYI, some of us have decided to ride to BV Friday and stay there Friday night.
    Its not how fast you go, its how little you slow down.

Ok that's what I was trying to determine.
    2006 R1 "Raven"

Mrs. Clovis and I may join you in BV on Friday night. I'm sure she would rather not have to get on the bike at 6:30am.

Only days a way. Weather is looking good, so far.

Unless things change, I'm going assume there is no Denver meet up for this and I'll just meet everyone at Jan's Restaurant in BV. @ 9am?
    2006 R1 "Raven"

Thinking of maybe joining to ride to BV, then branching off to stay with fam in Carbondale before coming back Sun or Mon depending on my work schedule. Even if I'm off Mon my ass couldn't handle 1800 miles in 3 on my gixxer...

Unless things change, I'm going assume there is no Denver meet up for this and I'll just meet everyone at Jan's Restaurant in BV. @ 9am?
    I wont be there because Im leaving Friday afternoon and staying in BV Friday night, but......

MoCo 6:00, KSU at 630. Discuss.