Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Mark your calandars! Devil's Highway 2013!

Re: Mark your calandars! Devil's Highway 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed View Post

MoCo 6:00, KSU at 630. Discuss.

Been trying!

Unless others chime in and want to meet up, I might say screw it and leave Friday night as well and save myself a super early /chilly morning ride.
    2006 R1 "Raven"

this looks to be epic.. wish I was home to join!

Planning to head down to Cortez end of July so I'll hit these roads in a couple months.
    2000 Zx-12R; 2007 GSXR 600 (bosses bike)
    2016 BMW R1200RS Granite FOG ride
    09 G8GT, 02 WJ

Clovis,
    Life is all about plan B, right? Will not be meeting the group at the Colorado Springs Acorn station, but am eager to see everyone at Jan’s around 0830!

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    Mrs. Clovis and I may join you in BV on Friday night. I'm sure she would rather not have to get on the bike at 6:30am.

I wont be there because Im leaving Friday afternoon and staying in BV Friday night, but......

MoCo 6:00, KSU at 630. Discuss.
    I'm up for meeting at 6:30 for those leaving Denver area.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    Unless things change, I'm going assume there is no Denver meet up for this and I'll just meet everyone at Jan's Restaurant in BV. @ 9am?
    We're leaving Jan's at 9am so get there at 9am if you don't want breakfast. Get there around 8am if you do. They have a killer breakfast burrito!
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Dave, we'll see you at Jan's then!

It's looking like the final list will be somewhere around the neighborhood of 10 bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Clovis,
    Life is all about plan B, right? Will not be meeting the group at the Colorado Springs Acorn station, but am eager to see everyone at Jan’s around 0830!

Updated attendee list:
    Confirmed:

1) Clovis / Mrs. Clovis (2up)
    2) Drano
    3) Aaron
    4) Cornfed
    5) Chaos
    6)Tiutis
    7) Hotcarcus (meeting us in Alpine, AZ)

Dave and friend (meeting us in BV, not along for the whole ride)

9) Powers? PM me your name, phone number, in-case-of-emergancy contact and medical conditions/allergies/perscriptions.

Pending confirmation:

10) Scubbasteve
    11) FZJake
    12) Matrix
    13) Denman
    14) Street Doctor
    15) Neutron
    16) BiikChiq
    17) Stuart Little
    18 Supaduka
    19) Ssutton21

Keeper of The Great White Buffalo

I am riding every day this week to train the brain and body how to have fun, stay loose and enjoy the ride. It's early season but I am starting to feel some smoothness. The heat in the roads is going to be significantly more there now then a month ago. Cleaner to I imagine. I can't wait to hop on the plane and get down to AZ. Sunday can't come soon enough!!! Looking forward to meeting some new guys and filleting some spine with the familiars!!!!!

Broker Associate RE/MAX Alliance
    A business built on referrals

Quote Originally Posted by Tiutis View Post
    I'm up for meeting at 6:30 for those leaving Denver area.
    We're leaving Jan's at 9am so get there at 9am if you don't want breakfast. Get there around 8am if you do. They have a killer breakfast burrito!

Roger. I'll definitely want some breakfast.
    Tiutis and anyone else, I'll be at the moco around 6 and plan on leaving by 6:30 to get up to BV by 8ish.

Can't wait to hit the road!! (lets see if I'm still saying that 7 hours in!! haha....lots of aleve lots of aleve!)
    2006 R1 "Raven"

Quote Originally Posted by HOTCARCASS View Post
    I am riding every day this week to train the brain and body how to have fun, stay loose and enjoy the ride. It's early season but I am starting to feel some smoothness. The heat in the roads is going to be significantly more there now then a month ago. Cleaner to I imagine. I can't wait to hop on the plane and get down to AZ. Sunday can't come soon enough!!! Looking forward to meeting some new guys and filleting some spine with the familiars!!!!!
    Kinda feel unprepared now. I've rode about 200 miles every other day for the last week. But it's been on the Sumo.

Have a good flight, see ya in Alpine.
    Its not how fast you go, its how little you slow down.

I will be headed in your direction on Saturday I will give you guys the scoop on road conditions and the fuzz situation when we get to our destination Friday afternoon.

Roger. I'll definitely want some breakfast.
    Tiutis and anyone else, I'll be at the moco around 6 and plan on leaving by 6:30 to get up to BV by 8ish.

Can't wait to hit the road!! (lets see if I'm still saying that 7 hours in!! haha....lots of aleve lots of aleve!)
    I'll meet you @ Moco at 6:30am sharp!

Keeper of The Great White Buffalo

Kinda feel unprepared now. I've rode about 200 miles every other day for the last week. But it's been on the Sumo.

Have a good flight, see ya in Alpine.
    Solid miles for sure. I've been doing 50-70 mile rides as much as I can. The spine insist that you be on our toes. Quad burner if your not ready. See ya in Alpine!

Broker Associate RE/MAX Alliance
    A business built on referrals

Here's a packing list:

You might be wondering just what should you bring on an overnight motorcycle trip.

For starters, whatever items you have on your list, you can probably cut in half. Everyone always packs way more then they need the first few times.

Here's a couple of pointers to keep in mind.

1) Pack only necessities, things you know you will need or things you will wish you had should you need them. (Such as a tire repair kit).

2) Dress in layers. Make sure you leave enough room in your bags, or have a cargo bungee cord net to expand room to throw your extra layers in as we move from colder climate to hot.

It will be cool in the morning (45-50 degrees but hot in the afternoon. Clifton, AZ is forecasted to be in the low to mid 90s this weekend. Average temps should be in the high 60s for Colorado and up to 95 for New Mexico and Arizona.

With those two rules in mind, here's what you should pack

*** Driver's license, insurance and registration. Pro tip - I keep this buried in my tail bag. I've been pulled over before where the cop asks for it and then lets me go because he doesn't want to wait while I dig it out.

1) Socks 2 pairs
    2) Underwear (unless you're brazen in which case just 1 pair)
    3) 2-3 t-shirts
    4) Tooth Brush / Tooth Paste (Travil size) / Deodorant.
    5) Small bottle of shampoo. You would be surprised that many budget hotels now charge $2-3 for a hotel bottle of shampoo.
    6) Contact lense case -- EXTRA set of contacts. If you wear contacts and never lose one, this will be the time it happens.
    7) A pair of gym type of shorts that take up little room or a pair of pants. Jeans if you have the spare room. Otherwise you'll be going to dinner in your leathers.
    Optional - Flip flops (unless you like going to a restaurant in race boots and shorts. I've done it, no big deal but flip flops are a better option.
    9) Prescriptions if needed
    10) Ibuprofen (Advil) -- I take 800mg (4 pills) in the morning before every ride. It helps prevent your joints from becoming stiff and overall makes you more comfortable.
    11) Sun screen (small bottle). I'll have some of this but you definately want to cover the back of your neck and face.
    12) Basic tool kit (that came with your bike, stowed under your seat).
    13) Cell phone / Go pro / GPS / ect charging cords.
    14) Drinks / water. I use a small insulated cooler bag to fit 1 power-aid bottle filled with water/frozen and 2-3 power aids. But I also have two Givi trunks, a 32L and 48L size. Take 1 bottle of water to save space.
    15) Small spray bottle with windex and a clean wash cloth to wipe bugs off your visor. Keep this in your tank bag. You will use this a lot.
    16) Tire repair kit. I pack a small 12v compressor and tire gauge. But if you get a flat and I'm not around you'll want something. Tire kits come with CO2 cartridges to fill a tire up (enough) to get to a gas station and properly inflate them.
    17) 3-4 feet of *CLEAR*, small diameter plastic tubing to act as a syphon should you run out of gas and need to transfer fuel from another bike. This shouldn't happen as gas stops are 140 miles apart at the most. Get this at Lowes, Home depot, ect.

That's it. Anything else, you probably don't need. Everything I've mentioned can fit into a decent size tail bag or two small soft luggage saddle bags.

If you to use a little bit of our states cash crop, be aware we're crossing state lines.

I'm packing pretty light, just going to be backpacking it! ha

I'm ready! This week, Oil changed, air filter, chain lubed and adjusted, axle nuts torqued to spec, coolant check, tires good and pressures set. Let's roll
    2006 R1 "Raven"

Here's a packing list:

You might be wondering just what should you bring on an overnight motorcycle trip.

For starters, whatever items you have on your list, you can probably cut in half. Everyone always packs way more then they need the first few times.

Here's a couple of pointers to keep in mind.

1) Pack only necessities, things you know you will need or things you will wish you had should you need them. (Such as a tire repair kit).

2) Dress in layers. Make sure you leave enough room in your bags, or have a cargo bungee cord net to expand room to throw your extra layers in as we move from colder climate to hot.

It will be cool in the morning (45-50 degrees but hot in the afternoon. Clifton, AZ is forecasted to be in the low to mid 90s this weekend. Average temps should be in the high 60s for Colorado and up to 95 for New Mexico and Arizona.

With those two rules in mind, here's what you should pack

*** Driver's license, insurance and registration. Pro tip - I keep this buried in my tail bag. I've been pulled over before where the cop asks for it and then lets me go because he doesn't want to wait while I dig it out.

1) Socks 2 pairs
    2) Underwear (unless you're brazen in which case just 1 pair)
    3) 2-3 t-shirts
    4) Tooth Brush / Tooth Paste (Travil size) / Deodorant.
    5) Small bottle of shampoo. You would be surprised that many budget hotels now charge $2-3 for a hotel bottle of shampoo.
    6) Contact lense case -- EXTRA set of contacts. If you wear contacts and never lose one, this will be the time it happens.
    7) A pair of gym type of shorts that take up little room or a pair of pants. Jeans if you have the spare room. Otherwise you'll be going to dinner in your leathers.
    Optional - Flip flops (unless you like going to a restaurant in race boots and shorts. I've done it, no big deal but flip flops are a better option.
    9) Prescriptions if needed
    10) Ibuprofen (Advil) -- I take 800mg (4 pills) in the morning before every ride. It helps prevent your joints from becoming stiff and overall makes you more comfortable.
    11) Sun screen (small bottle). I'll have some of this but you definately want to cover the back of your neck and face.
    12) Basic tool kit (that came with your bike, stowed under your seat).
    13) Cell phone / Go pro / GPS / ect charging cords.
    14) Drinks / water. I use a small insulated cooler bag to fit 1 power-aid bottle filled with water/frozen and 2-3 power aids. But I also have two Givi trunks, a 32L and 48L size. Take 1 bottle of water to save space.
    15) Small spray bottle with windex and a clean wash cloth to wipe bugs off your visor. Keep this in your tank bag. You will use this a lot.
    16) Tire repair kit. I pack a small 12v compressor and tire gauge. But if you get a flat and I'm not around you'll want something. Tire kits come with CO2 cartridges to fill a tire up (enough) to get to a gas station and properly inflate them.
    17) 3-4 feet of *CLEAR*, small diameter plastic tubing to act as a syphon should you run out of gas and need to transfer fuel from another bike. This shouldn't happen as gas stops are 140 miles apart at the most. Get this at Lowes, Home depot, ect.

That's it. Anything else, you probably don't need. Everything I've mentioned can fit into a decent size tail bag or two small soft luggage saddle bags.

If you to use a little bit of our states cash crop, be aware we're crossing state lines.

Funny, I packed yesterday and loaded 1-10 to the letter, plus rain gear, minus flip flops, they wont fit. Im taking a small tail bag since I hate soft saddlebags. I love my trusty backpack and I rarely ride without, however Clovis recommended not using a back pack. Something about 600 miles a day with an extra ten pounds on your back is a bad idea.
    Lets do this!
    Last edited by Cornfed; Thu May 16th, 2013 at 09:02 AM.

Clovis recommended not using a back pack. Something about 600 miles a day with an extra ten pounds on your back is a bad idea. Lets do this!
    Yeah not thrilled with doing the backpack, but I'll deal. BTW, are you bringing that extra rain gear? I'll carry it.

Another thing to add that some might not think about. (because you never know) Bring a spare key to your bike. Would suck to lose it 100's of miles away from home.
    2006 R1 "Raven"

I don't recommend taking a back pack. Just bungee it to your back assuming you have rails or something to hook it on to. It's like $5. I have one ill bring for someone to use.

Ha, so I'm taking the bike in to get new tires today and it won't start. Battery is dead. Rub roh.

Rain gear is a necessity IMO. The right gear can be packed to take up almost no space, and being soaking wet and cold is miserable.

On a ride to Durango with Clovis and Christie, I put rain gear on when it started drizzling.....7 hours later the downpour stopped To be honest, it didn't rain for 7 hours straight, it also sleeted and snowed when we crossed over several of the passes on the ride. I have never been so cold and uncomfortable, thank god for rain gear. It was also the best 2 days I have ever spent on a motorcycle. Have a fun and safe trip.

Jason
    07 600RR
    07 Speed Triple -[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)] [/COLOR]GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)][/COLOR]

It's not the space the rain gear takes up, it's putting it on. But yeah, that trip to Durango was pretty miserable on Day 1.

We were rained/sleeted/snowed on for 7 hours from Monarch Pass to the end of Wolf Pass (Pagosa Springs).

We hit Pogasa Springs and it became warm and sunny yet I was still shivering all the way to Durango. Good thing THE IRON HORSE INN is old school with real wood fireplaces, we picked up some Duraflame logs and built a nice cozy fire.

Three dudes and a chick down by the fire. I'm not saying anything happened... =P

I got the bike started by charging the battery for 10 minutes or so. Got her into Apex for new tires and a new battery if needed. Still need to change the oil and pack.

Current count is 12 bikes.

9 confirmed.

1 "90%" -- Powers

Dave + friend meeting us for BV. Not riding for the whole trip.

I forgot to add this to my packing list as it doesn't apply to me since I have a drive shaft. If your bike has a chain, bring a small can of chain lube.

Another thing to add that some might not think about. (because you never know) Bring a spare key to your bike. Would suck to lose it 100's of miles away from home.
    This is an great advice! It happened to me once I dropped a key somewhere in a restaurant in Breckenridge. Luckily, the key was dropped off at with the bartender by a stranger. Spend 30 min franticly looking for it though!

Where do you recommed tying the spare key to? I'm thinking somewhere on my boots or leathers...

I forgot to add this to my packing list as it doesn't apply to me since I have a drive shaft. If your bike has a chain, bring a small can of chain lube.
    Dude, we don't all have a samsonite strapped to the back of our bike. I'm bringing socks, underwear a toothbrush and a rain suit. Hopefully, if I need tools, lube, an air compressor, or a sip of water I can talk someone into sharing.