Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 613141516

Thread: Mark your calandars! Devil's Highway 2013!

Re: Mark your calandars! Devil's Highway 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiutis View Post
    Favorite quote of the trip: "You're not special"!!! Lols
    No freaking way!!

How and when did this happen?

Im only intrigued because we encountered some construction on Hwy 50 just west of Gunnison and they had it down to one lane traffic, I sat there for a minute before I decided I was gonna see if they would let me through. As I started riding the shoulder some douche in a truck shouts "you ain't special" made me laugh my ass off.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim2.0 View Post
    No freaking way!!

How and when did this happen?

Im only intrigued because we encountered some construction on Hwy 50 just west of Gunnison and they had it down to one lane traffic, I sat there for a minute before I decided I was gonna see if they would let me through. As I started riding the shoulder some douche in a truck shouts "you ain't special" made me laugh my ass off.
    Wait a minute...

Some moron confronted us at a construction stop on a way to Telluride because he was thinking we're cutting in front of him. He was yelling at a construction worker: "Don't let them go in front us, they're not special "

...could it be the same moron??

Haha, I wonder if it was the same guy. We ran into construction on the road to Telluride. I rolled up to the worker holding the sign to ask if the road to Telluride was closed. The rest of the group followed me (a whole 100 feet. The line was not long).

Some douche bag in a truck (I think it was silver) gets out of his vehicle and starts yelling at the construction woman holding the stop sign "these guys are not going to cut in front of me!! And then yelling at us "you're not special!!!"

So it was a misunderstanding so I circled back, we to him and explained "hey, sorry, we're not trying to cut in line. I'm just asking if the road to Telluride is open or not."

He wouldn't have any of it and just kept yelling at us that if we went ahead of him he was going to call the cops.

By this point I was getting tired of his public temper tantrum, and asked what he was going to call the cops for? Cutting in line??

"For breaking the laaaaaawwwww!"

I may have made fun of him of him... We had a good laugh about that later that night.
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Keeper of The Great White Buffalo

For all the sand blasting comment- I use aeronautical wax every wash. It is designed to deflect debris on planes. My bike is unaffected by the sand. Get a clay bar and good wax it will be livable. I use Colonite wax order only and limited quantities every year. Car collectors buy it up.

Broker Associate RE/MAX Alliance
    A business built on referrals

I think it was the same guy, looks like i set the bar for you guys and when he saw you he had enough!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    Aaron and his SKRR was there too.

It wasn't that bad, although I was pretty miserable yesterday but That was mostly due to the rain and being cold. All in all I'll do it again. Definitely recommend some kind of a throttle lock for being able to relax your right hand from time to time on the straights. I was wearing some padded bicycle shorts under my somewhat already padded A* gear and it seemed to help. It's all about sitting and posture options to change riding position to give certain parts of your body a rest here and there.

You have to expect to be getting cramps and aches on a sportbike on long rides.
    Pack some Advil!!!
    lol yeah advil for sure. I'll look into the throttle locks. Hey doesnt look like ya had much for gear just a backpack or something? I have a tank bag but hated using it gave it to my pops. My tail has no rear seat to mount a tail bag so not sure what I'm gonna do for bags.

Cloivs when abouts in sept is the next one?

Quote Originally Posted by One-ops View Post
    lol yeah advil for sure. I'll look into the throttle locks. Hey doesnt look like ya had much for gear just a backpack or something? I have a tank bag but hated using it gave it to my pops. My tail has no rear seat to mount a tail bag so not sure what I'm gonna do for bags.
    I bought this one for $20 online. It worked just fine, it's not perfect but it works and for the money, why not? http://www.2wheelride.com/throttle_pro.html Plus it goes on and off in a few seconds and stored in the tail compartment when not needed.

Yeah, I backpacked it the whole way, and to be honest I could hardly ever tell it was there. I made sure to pack light. it was only about 8 lbs total on my back. It would be better to have bags. But I don't think it affected me much at all. If it were too heavy it would've sucked for sure.
    2006 R1 "Raven"

I had (have) a throttlemeister throttle lock on my S1000RR, and to be honest did not use it once on the entire trip. My wrists never really get sore, and with breaks every 150 miles at most they offered the only breaks I needed for my wrist.

Also, they are difficult to use when riding in a group, because nobody else has one so their speeds are varying. If you're leading I could see it being helpful.

Just my opinion, but I don't use mine.

I use my throttlemeister lock all the time. Even when locked you can still open and close the throttle, it just holds it in whatever position you leave it in.

It's handy to have when I need to clean my visor, open my tank bag or otherwise remove my right hand from the throttle.
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post

It's handy to have when I need to clean my visor, open my tank bag or otherwise remove my right hand from the throttle.
    Or text
    2006 R1 "Raven"

I know there were more pics taken and even some go pro footage. Would love to see them.
    Its not how fast you go, its how little you slow down.

glad to hear you all had a blast!
    -Eugene-

2007 black hayabusa touring beast
    2003 KTM 525sx/exc hybrid
    2002 black and blue hayabusa- (SOLD)
    2000 ZX7R STREETFIGHTER-(SOLD)

I use my throttlemeister lock all the time. Even when locked you can still open and close the throttle, it just holds it in whatever position you leave it in.

Or you can reach over and hold the throttle with your left hand. It's awkward at first but after awhile it seems second nature. Throttle locks seem iffy to me. I'm sure there safe, but that's just me. Glad to hear the trip went well.
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

I wonder if you could retrofit the cruise control from the 2013 FJR to yours. Probably not - even if you could flash the computer, you'd still need the controls - but perhaps someone has figured out a way...

An electronic cruise control would be nice. Maybe some day. Until then, I use a rocker on my FZR, and can't go far without it.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

I've considered adapting a car's cruise control to my bike before. It wouldn't be very difficult, mechanically in fact it'd be easy.

The hard parts would be sourcing a cruise control system that is compact enough to fit in a supersport such as mine, and quite simply there are none.

The hardest part electronically would be sourcing, and adapting, a speed signal to one that the ECU could read. I'm fairly certain BMW cars use the same speed signals as the bikes do, it'd stand to reason at least.

I'd love to try this out, unfortunately I just don't have the room on my bike to put the servo and module.

Seems like the after-market would have something for bikes.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I've considered adapting a car's cruise control to my bike before. It wouldn't be very difficult, mechanically in fact it'd be easy.

The hard parts would be sourcing a cruise control system that is compact enough to fit in a supersport such as mine, and quite simply there are none.

The hardest part electronically would be sourcing, and adapting, a speed signal to one that the ECU could read. I'm fairly certain BMW cars use the same speed signals as the bikes do, it'd stand to reason at least.

I'd love to try this out, unfortunately I just don't have the room on my bike to put the servo and module.
    Most new cars dont even have a cruise module anymore its all drive by wire accelerator pedal/throttle control, its all software opening closing throttle, controling cruise speed. So throttle by wire and software could be a possible cruise contol with no added equipment to newer bikes.
    Last edited by jcj81; Wed May 29th, 2013 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcj81 View Post
    Most new cars dont even have a cruise module anymore its all drive by wire accelerator pedal/throttle control, its all software opening closing throttle, controling cruise speed. So throttle by wire and software could be a possible cruise contol with no added equipment to newer bikes.
    Correct, I'd be going back to a car that had a throttle cable and actuator for cruise control (Circa E46 3-series).

As great as it'd be to do it all with software, I don't see it happening with my bike, as it is still cable actuated.

The new BMW sport touring bikes have ride by wire, and incorporate crusie control electronically. Unfortunately they didn't do that on the S1000RR.