Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark your calandars! Devil's Highway 2013!

Re: Mark your calandars! Devil's Highway 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I don't love the one I have for any reason, but it does everything I need, and I don't fantasize about spending $500 on a leather jacket.
    If you don't like your current gear, you are less likely to wear it. Find something you do like. Still trying to break in my leather Tourmaster. Very heavy duty and DEFINITELY didn't cost $500. Listed for $180 in last chance gear.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...ets_and_pants/

4 pages of last chance gear - some smoking deals on gear.
    http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...hance_bargains
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    The difference between a 2 day and 3 day trip (packing wise) is a extra pair of socks, underwear and t-shirt.
    Save space; don't bring extra underwear; just wash 1 pair every night.

Who wants to share a room?
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Save space; don't bring extra underwear; just wash 1 pair every night.

Who wants to share a room?
    Ill share a room with you.

As far as what to bring and how to pack it, just figure out a way to get it all to strap onto the back of your bike, and invest in a tank bag. I e had a tent, a sleeping bag, and a backpack all strapped to the back of the ninja, with. Tank bag containing all of my clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim2.0 View Post
    Ill share a room with you.

As far as what to bring and how to pack it, just figure out a way to get it all to strap onto the back of your bike, and invest in a tank bag. I e had a tent, a sleeping bag, and a backpack all strapped to the back of the ninja, with. Tank bag containing all of my clothes.

Bah, if wearing leathers, rewashable synthetic shirt and skiviees, maybe a couple pairs of socks.

I do have a little tank bag, can hold "enough" though. Never found any bags that bolt on to the TLR, so I always use a rear seat net. It works well enough. I just couldn't see spending hundreds for bike specific bags, surely I will be selling the Tiller next year..... I've owned it for 10 years now.

Wify says our schedule looks clear, so I may actually be free to go Clovis. Is the date set or still churning?

The wife and i just talked about it I am officially in!! Set the date in stone so I can organize everything on my end.

Nice Grim! Now do you still have your saved by the tree Ninja? It was a 10R right? For some reason I was under the impression you only had the Sumo right now.

Nice Grim! Now do you still have your saved by the tree Ninja? It was a 10R right? For some reason I was under the impression you only had the Sumo right now.
    That wasn't me dude that was someone else and it was an R1

Ah shit. Well then do you still have the 10R that's been down like 24 times and repainted 23 times and still looks like it's never been down?

Well there's a bit of straight road riding in between Gallup, NM and Alpine AZ

You'll like having the textile in Arizona. I need to move the dates about 2 weeks later so hopefully that reduces the chance of snow in Colorado over the passes.

Count me in on the tank and tail bag, between those two it'll be more than enough room. It's not like I need clothing.

Thanks Clovis!

Also, will I need a leather jacket or will the textile one I have work? I don't love the one I have for any reason, but it does everything I need, and I don't fantasize about spending $500 on a leather jacket. I've yet to figure out how I'm going to keep up with you guys. Maybe the helmet mohawk will help me ride faster.
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Updated the dates on the first post.

New date: May 18-20th -- That's a Sat/Sun/Monday.

Mrs. Clovis wants to come and May 17th is the last day of class at UCCS (aka finals). This is her last semester and hopefully this means Bryan (Drano) can go -- he said he couldn't due to finals at UCCS as well.

Dates are semi-set in stone -- weather can potentially change them but I think we're pretty safe in mid-May.

Clovis

Quote Originally Posted by Grim2.0 View Post
    The wife and i just talked about it I am officially in!! Set the date in stone so I can organize everything on my end.

Drano is still looking for excuses not to go, now he's planning a family trip over the same weekend so he doesn't have to go (I keed I keed).

Being 6'4" tall, supersports are a painful way of doing what I love so much, but there is no alternative for me. I've already done rearsets and a Sargent Seat, which both really helped the bike's comfort. Before this trip I'm hoping to put a set of Heli-bars on to eliminate wrist pain. After that I think I'll be able to make it :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    If you don't like your current gear, you are less likely to wear it. Find something you do like. Still trying to break in my leather Tourmaster. Very heavy duty and DEFINITELY didn't cost $500. Listed for $180 in last chance gear.
    I guess I didn't get my point across haha. I wear full gear every time I go out on my bike, no matter where to or how far. My jacket is textile, and while I'd rather it be leather, I don't want to buy a leather jacket if I don't need to. I don't dislike the jacket, and still wear it, just wish it was leather for the same price (Free).

I have a First Gear leather jacket that's around 8 years old that I was wearing for a while, but the textile one I just got has a back-protector in it, so I prefer it.
    Last edited by Aaron; Sat Jan 26th, 2013 at 12:59 PM.

Senior Member Moderator

Those dates will work. Count me in.

Senior Member Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    Well there's a bit of straight road riding in between Gallup, NM and Alpine AZ

You'll like having the textile in Arizona. I need to move the dates about 2 weeks later so hopefully that reduces the chance of snow in Colorado over the passes.
    Yeah I'm definitely getting a throttle rocker (http://shop.throttlerocker.com/) for this trip. Probably the best $10 I'll spend.

I bit the bullet today and paid $320 for a set of Helibars for the S1000RR. The Sargent seat cured my ass pains, but my wrists give me problems after a few hours. Should be good now, these bars come highly recommended. Only 2 more modifications to go before the trip, cruise control and a USB dock where I can plug in cables for my iPhone and my Scala G9.

By the way, for those of you who'd like to communicate with Drano, Clovis, and myself, we all just purchased Scala G9 headsets. So far Drano and I like them, Bluetooth music with your phone, talk on the phone, pick up AM/FM radio, plug in a MP3 player, etc. They also do like 9-way dual channel intercom, meaning it's like being in a chatroom with 8 other psychopaths. Make fun of Clovis for riding a Goldwing wannabe, make fun of Drano for scraping every part his bike has around corners, and make fun of me for being the slowest rider on the fastest bike. It's awesome.

I have one that you can have. I didn't really care for it. You're better off getting a throttlemeister type of lock; that's what the FJR has. Cost around $100 and they're oh so nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Drano View Post
    Yeah I'm definitely getting a throttle rocker (http://shop.throttlerocker.com/) for this trip. Probably the best $10 I'll spend.

I just looked at the Throttlemeister for my BMW. That's what I want, but the price is kinda high at $142.

Does it disengage with braking or no?

No. the way it works is by tightening the throttle. You can still open and close it when it's engaged.

Last time I said I'd go the trip fell apart. It was still a blast. I wont say I'm in. Maybe I'll just show up on the day of the trip.

I cant decide if i want to go a full day on that sportsbike seat or not.. damn.
    06 GSXR 750

Quote Originally Posted by Ph03niX View Post
    I cant decide if i want to go a full day on that sportsbike seat or not.. damn.
    Buy a Corbin seat it will help, besides if our fearless speed limit ignoring leader guides is through a lot of twistes you won't be flat on the seat a lot.

That is true.. I guess it just depends how i feel about riding at the time! Which should be good since I like mountain riding. Haha damn that seat looks comfy. But 280 bucks! Ouch!
    06 GSXR 750

Possiby in for this. Even though I really don't know anyone in person on here. Thinking about it.
    2006 R1 "Raven"

Regarding the seats -- just get an Air Hawk (original, not air hawk 2). It's $160 and makes a HUGE difference. It's the best thing you can get outside of getting a russell day-long saddle (which is what I'm ordering).

I put a Sargent seat on my SV1000S, it improved it a lot, I was extremely happy with it. Not saying it's any better of course, but it made the SV tolerable on long rides for me.