Thread: Inducer unit on furnace

Inducer unit on furnace

My tech confirmed that the inducer unit on my furnace is going bad. It has a vibration on startup that continues until it turns off. He told me I could replace it myself very easily for almost 1/2 the price ($350 vs $650).

I'm wondering if I should start by taking the unit apart and checking the fan first for any issues before I buy the whole unit; a fan costs about $40. It's a Carrier 92% furnace. Has anyone here done this before? Any suggestions?

CSC co-founder

Re: Inducer unit on furnace

If you're second guessing the tech... try calling the Mfg? Explain to them what is going on & I'm sure they will offer some good advice.
    PHX, AZ

I'm not second guessing him, just trying to replace fewer parts if possible.

CSC co-founder

I'ld probably still call them
    PHX, AZ

Good point. Probably will.

I am familiar with this issue on induced draft fans.

How to isolate the metal-to-metal sound, associated with the noise, (unless it is the fan or bearings).
    When the sound occurs. Push on the center of the motor with pressure, slightly upward. Did the sound go away?
    If yes, get a plastic zip tie, and secure the metal housing from rattling against the other metal cage, (around the fan motor).
    Tighten the zip tie enough to prevent the noise.
    It works! Slow in, Fast out
    "Sarcasm is difficult to convey on the internet, especially if the people reading it don't know you personally". By Spiderman
    Neither irony nor sarcasm is argument. By Rufus Choate
    Be smart, be nice, do what'cha love and always have fun.
    Let food be your medicine, and medicine be your food. - Hippocrates
    I will use treatment to help the sick. I will never use it to injure them or wrong them. I will not give poison to anyone. - The Hippocratic Oath

Quote Originally Posted by dapper View Post
    I am familiar with this issue on induced draft fans.

How to isolate the metal-to-metal sound, associated with the noise, (unless it is the fan or bearings).
    When the sound occurs. Push on the center of the motor with pressure, slightly upward. Did the sound go away?
    If yes, get a plastic zip tie, and secure the metal housing from rattling against the other metal cage, (around the fan motor).
    Tighten the zip tie enough to prevent the noise.
    Mine makes a noise that comes and goes during startup. It sounds like it could be the bearing. Is that part located in the fan or the motor itself, assuming I was going to try and replace it?

Sorry for the thread-jack, figured we could just keep the furnace info going...
    Casey D

I talked with another furnace tech yesterday. He said that the Carrier furnaces in my model range are notorious for having issues with the shaft between the motor and the fan. He did say it was possible to replace just that part but he suggested replacing the whole unit.

FWIW, my furnace has the motor isolated from the inducer fan housing via rubber grommets, and the fan itself is housed in a plastic body and is about 12" tall and 1" wide.

Quote Originally Posted by dragos13 View Post
    Mine makes a noise that comes and goes during startup. It sounds like it could be the bearing. Is that part located in the fan or the motor itself, assuming I was going to try and replace it?

Sorry for the thread-jack, figured we could just keep the furnace info going...
    If you push on the metal cage at the motor and the grunting sound goes away, it is not the bearing. You can replace the item, or isolate the vibrational rattling. Plastic ties are cheap and quick.
    It works! Slow in, Fast out
    "Sarcasm is difficult to convey on the internet, especially if the people reading it don't know you personally". By Spiderman
    Neither irony nor sarcasm is argument. By Rufus Choate
    Be smart, be nice, do what'cha love and always have fun.
    Let food be your medicine, and medicine be your food. - Hippocrates
    I will use treatment to help the sick. I will never use it to injure them or wrong them. I will not give poison to anyone. - The Hippocratic Oath

Quote Originally Posted by dapper View Post
    If you push on the metal cage at the motor and the grunting sound goes away, it is not the bearing. You can replace the item, or isolate the vibrational rattling. Plastic ties are cheap and quick.
    Copy that, thanks for the info. I will try to isolate the issue this weekend.
    Casey D